GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all - - I don't get an opportunity to get on the board much anymore but have a question. Hope you can give me some input.

I just had a local cycle shop repair my GL1800/Calif Side Car trike

Needed the fork seals replaced and a radiator hose replaced. They also check my brake pads on the rear. They were okay and didn't need replacing.

On my bill: parts = $ 54.00
labor = $1200.00

The shop said this particular radiator hose required taking a lot of the bike apart.
They had over 60 hours labor but only charged me for 60 hours.

I talked, today, with the owner and he confirmed that this was a legitimate charge and stood firm on the price

Has anyone had this work done? Is this charge about right?

Many thanks for any input you can offer

Today in Alabama is fantantic 65 degrees - - we've been out giving the Wing some exercise - - now going to see #2 grandaughter get in a knock down drag out basketball game !! GO DOGS !!!!

Gary

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Gary Archer said:
Needed the fork seals replaced and a radiator hose replaced. They also check my brake pads on the rear. They were okay and didn't need replacing.

On my bill: parts = $ 54.00
labor = $1200.00

The shop said this particular radiator hose required taking a lot of the bike apart.
They had over 60 hours labor but only charged me for 60 hours.
Hmmm, $20/hr for labor???....
Don't know what the going time is for fork seals, but I can't imagine more than 3 hours.. Had a quote from a dealer of $300 to do both sides and that included bleeding the brakes because they were removing the connection from the anti-dive..
Although it's possible, I can't imagine any hose being that much time to replace unless the shop is totally incompetant!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah PW - - they had over 20 hours doing the repairs at $60.00/hours

I kind of feel like you on the radiator hose but just don't know. I talked to a retired Wing mechanic and he couldn't think of any radiator hose that would be that difficult to get to ??

A out of town Honda shop said the charge for replacing fork seals was 3 hours. And to get into the radiator was 2 hours - - according to Honda's book.
I don't know what all would be necessary after you get into the radiator ??

Gary

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Seems Pricey to me and not by a little bit.

I am in the wrong business.

Was his 60 hour estimate, based on lack of ability/knowledge?

I am going to change what I do.

Bulldog

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gary, you might want to contact the regional rep. for Honda in your area and see if he will give you the est. times for the work you had done. It would seem that that 1 mechanic in a week and a half could do most anthing. I would hate to see the time to rebuild a motor. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Gary Archer said:
Yeah PW - - they had over 20 hours doing the repairs at $60.00/hours
Ok, that makes more sense.. Still pretty damn steep though.. I'll have a look in the book.. Why did you need a hose?? If it was just the small leak, it's common and normally just a hose clamp that requires tightening under the fuel tank!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is an outragious price for labor. When someone rips you off like that you should contact the Honda factory and make a formal complaint. Even though your out of warrantee they have power to lean on the dealer to make the proper adjustment. I can change that hose in less than an hour. The fork seals are a pain, $300 sounds reasonable. Who is the dealer? I would hate to break down in his town.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gary, I lived in Gadsden, Al. for a time when I was a kid, beautiful country. I feel the labor charge was OUTRAGEOUS !! As recommended in another reply, I would contact Honda and see what "flat rate" was to change the radiator hose. With that information in hand I would revisit the shop in question and explain that I had come for a CASH refund of the overcharge. If the owner is not cooperative, I would make my next phone call one to the Attorney Generals office. Here in Missouri we have a GREAT A.G. that really looks out for the consumer. I hope the same is true in Alabama. From reading your post, this seems to me, in my opinion, to be a clear case of consumer fraud. I am a body/fender man by profession and we work on flat rate, so :lol: :lol: I have a bit of experience with labor times. Sixty hours would be a huge charge to rebuild a near total automobile : : !! Hope this helps, good luck, Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Y'all - - I so appreciate your input. I have been thinking the same way and began to think perhaps I didn't have the situation clearly in focus.

I had checked with a Honda dealer on estimated times. Per the Honda book 3 hours on the fork seals and 2 hours to "get into" the radiator.

That would be 5 hours at $60.00/hour. I don't know how much more time would be necessary to actually get into the bike parts and change the hose.

But, 20 hours seems too much.

One Honda dealer had quoted me $350.00 to change the fork seals - and - probably to pull the rear wheel off and check the brake pads, $50.00 would seem fair. That makes $400.00 total. I know those two things would have cost me that much.

That means that I paid $850.00 for them to change the radiator hose.
Making the total bill $1250.00

I had this dealer do all the work rather than a Honda dealer do the fork seals and me check the rear brakes because I wanted to establish a local repair place for my Wing.

It wasn't a Honda dealer. It was a local dealer who sells "the other American made motorcycles" and advertises that they have trained trike mechanics.

Our Calif Side Car dealer no longer works on trikes. The Honda dealers within 50 miles of Birmingham Al. will work on the GL1800 but are afraid to touch the CSC trike parts. My thought was to establish a relationship with this local business who works on trikes.

Well anyway - - it didn't work out

I talked today with the owner and he confirmed to me that the charge was legitimate and there was nothing he could do to change the situation.

He was "sorry that I felt the way I did"

So, end of story - I'm out probably $500.00 too much cost and even someone as trusting as me can learn with that kind of teacher :)

I appreciate y'all and your input - - -

Have a Blessed 2007 - and - ride safely

Gary

·
Registered
251 Posts
I didn't know it wasn't a Honda dealer that did the work. the Honda dealers will work on the trikes where it doesn't effect the basic bike. Get a Goldwing service manual. Very easy to read, then do the work yourself. Make sure you tell plenty of people that guy is a rip off.
Capt Bob

C

·
0 Posts
Gary Archer said:
I talked today with the owner and he confirmed to me that the charge was legitimate and there was nothing he could do to change the situation.
So based apon a 8 hour day it took this BOZO 2 and a half days to get to, replace, and put back together your bike?
How long did he have the bike in the shop?
Please leave the name of this dealer so if I EVER break down in that town I can push it to the NEXT town.

S

·
0 Posts
and that included bleeding the brakes because they were removing the connection from the anti-dive..
Sorry fellas but there is No brake line that needs to be cracked open or disconnected to sevice the front forks :roll:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hadn't thought of it as 2 1/2 days labor and my trike was there 3 weeks.

Apparently Honda sent them the wrong radiator hose and had to send them the correct one. Don't know if that took the other 2 1/2 weeks !??

It's just an very displeasing situation.

To make it worse - - today (first day out after the repairs) we were making good time on Interstate 65 and the right front chrome cover blew off. I was able to catch it and hold it on with my boot until I got stopped. It was dark and the piece wouldn't snap back on. I'll look at it tomorrow - - hope it wasn't damaged as it was put back on but was just not put back on securely ??

Sometimes you just don't do things that are good for yourself - - we live and I hope we (I) learn !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts