GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Kury luggage rack with risers on before our Fl to Grand Canyon trip, we made Mississippi before I had about a 1" crack coming from the lower left leg. Bag was not being used at the time. I'm thinking I can drill a hole at th end of the crack, use some type of plastic bondo to fill the hole and crack, sand and paint with some color matched paint. Any one know if this is repairable?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Short of the "finished paint job", electrical connection use to sell an ABS glue, or use plumbers ABS glue, with screen mesh backing underneath. Suggest getting the "lid support brackets", made by a member.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Buy or borrow a plastic welder. Harbor Freight has one for as little as $40. You can do a professional , permanant repair from the inside and maybe not even repaint it. I've done it with cracked side covers on old Honda's. Heat the back of the lid and the melted plastic will flow into the crack and seal it. Depending on how good or lucky you are you may end up with just a thin line where the crack was.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I put a Kury luggage rack with risers on before our Fl to Grand Canyon trip, we made Mississippi before I had about a 1" crack coming from the lower left leg. Bag was not being used at the time. I'm thinking I can drill a hole at th end of the crack, use some type of plastic bondo to fill the hole and crack, sand and paint with some color matched paint. Any one know if this is repairable?

I just installed a trunk rack last week and used Star Washers. I drilled the holes much larger than the 1/4" the directions say. That was done so that there is no stress from bolt to bolt due to heat/cold expansion/contraction.

If you did not use Star Washers, the crack may be barely visible after the repair.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have an '86 Yamaha Venture royale, the trunks are famous for cracking. Mine was almost in three pieces when I fixed it with this stuff:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.php

Other places sell the stuff, but it really works! I thought it would be a HUGE amount of time/trouble, but it came recommended, and wasn't that expensive, and I had tried other fixes. Don't bother with "plastic glues etc".

I borrowed a dremel tool, and once I got going on the drip, dab, place, wet routine (read the info on the page I posted) it went quick. Did one side one day, the other side the next. My trunk was black, so I got the black powder and didn't even paint it, it was on the underside. but you can sand, and paint it easily. IT has not cracked again in several thousand miles. I am delighted with this stuff!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try your repair and use these over it you may not have to do any paint http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...ainless_steel_luggage_rack_washers_w_rubbers/

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
You might try the motorcycle salvage dealers; they may have a lid in your color. Swapping out lids may turn out to be less work than fixing the one you have.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Good luck. I fear you are screwed and most here will not be happy without a new lid. Just another reason not to drill in the top lid:doorag:

·
Banned
208 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts