GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all:

I am an attorney, and I subscribe to an online referral service. Some good referral come through, and some are dogs. Often, people will have inquiries that are totally unrelated to our practice, such as the one below. A gentleman contacted us about pursuing a Lemon Law claim on a 2020 Goldwing. I don't do Lemon Law cases, but I thought the experienced members here might have some armchair advice for this fellow. Any advice or thoughts you have will be passed on to the gentleman. Please excuse his grammatical deficiencies; I have not edited his inquiry.

Thank you.

Numerous attempts were made to my bike and the dealership has tried many time fixing it. Honda on the other hand doesn't want to comply with getting me another bike. Yes it's a new bike and yes I am still under warranty.i am retired my wife works Monday thru Friday .this has been very disappointing. There is nothing else that they could keep replacing on the bike.

So long story short one day my wife and I were driving in a gas station bike wouldn't start turned it off then it started we arrive in our driveway and All light blacked out. Dealership replaced a few things here comes the following week come pick it up. Bearly got out the driveway and it did it again. Then waiting for part. They tried again all lights go out again. Then they ordered a main harness waited 4weeks for them to do the job they call it's ready. Again all lights gone turn bike off try turning it on nothing happened.

Yesterday we pick up the bike today we hardly put 80miles on it we left the restaurant as we are leaving it happens again all lights off again it's running ((But)) as soon as it turns off that's it it never turns back on. So the bike so far is here in our home we have paperwork of all orders that were performed to the unit. Hope to here something from you guys I just wouldn't want to wait around again more and more waiting for a new bike again.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spoke with his wife. They are die hard Goldwing riders. She rides a 2019 Tour DCT trike. They log thousands of miles . The dealer has poured $10,000 in to the bike so far. The bike has been torn down five times. She told me the bike will cut out spontaneously. It just happened again yesterday. She fears it will cut out in the middle of a highway, and her husband will be struck. She made that statement to the service manager. His response: "But that hasn't happened, has it?". Outrageous.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Not enough info to long distance troubleshoot. Sounds more like a bad battery/charging issue than a main harness issue, or possibly an ecm. In other words, dealer is easter-egging it. Main harness does not tend to be an intermittent issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have they tried replacing any of the FOB systems? Or... Has he tried the manual start procedure if the FOB is dead? If his "no lights" is because the FOB isn't being detected, and the manual startup works then that considerably narrows down the potential issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
CHeck this for the emergency start procedure, have him try that the next time it's in this state.
If that works... then its something in the FOB or bike not detecting the FOB.

·
Registered
19,544 Posts
SEE AN ATTORNEY
NEVER SAW A GL1800 THAT WAS A LEMON
UNTIL NOW

good luck

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Not enough info to long distance troubleshoot. Sounds more like a bad battery/charging issue than a main harness issue, or possibly an ecm. In other words, dealer is easter-egging it. Main harness does not tend to be an intermittent issue.
In addition, there's the Honda TechLine (higher-tier support level) that would be involved pretty heavily at this point in trying to ascertain the root cause in order to derive a proper corrective action when and if it happens to another motorcycle.

Not exactly knowing how your particular state deals with (potential) lemon law issues, one of the first caveats might be - auto and trucks are the only items covered under the law, not motorcycles or any other modes of motorized conveyance.

Oh, IANAL.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Lemon laws vary greatly front state to state. In some states, it would easily be declared a lemon and in others no such luck. (Well, I see @kwthom straightened me out on this one.)

It would be very hard to determine the problem not knowing what has been tried and what has not. It would be almost tragic if they have not tried simple things like replacing the battery and the key fobs.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
DCT or 6MT?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would first check to see what the Lemon law is in your state and get away from hear say then you have some thing to work with, in my town people use the TV station they go out and interview the company if they think you have a legitimate complaint. 2 news works for you is the station.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Most Lemon Laws have too many hoops to jump through and it does not sound like the dealership is not trying. My $0.02 is go to another dealership or trailer/ride to Fred.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just spoke with his wife. They are die hard Goldwing riders. She rides a 2019 Tour DCT trike. They log thousands of miles . The dealer has poured $10,000 in to the bike so far. The bike has been torn down five times. She told me the bike will cut out spontaneously. It just happened again yesterday. She fears it will cut out in the middle of a highway, and her husband will be struck. She made that statement to the service manager. His response: "But that hasn't happened, has it?". Outrageous.
My dealer had one like this. The Honda rep finally rode another bike in and started swapping modules and parts it ended up being the ECM. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,935 Posts
It's a trike..Honda doesn't consider it a Gold Wing any longer...Honda would never replace a bike that has been triked and will not warranty anything with it if they think they can get out of it...thats the risk you take if you trike out your Gold Wing.
SHE rides a trike, not him

1 - 20 of 47 Posts