GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the trunk lid adjustment hardware from Wingstuff (I think that's where I got it) that has the two corner pieces that rest on the adjustable stops. Both have stripped- out their plastic threads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair this in a way that will be stronger than what's there now? I'm pretty sure that with the pressure of being the lid being closed, and just the vibration of the road, that leaving them in plastic will probably result in them breaking again.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Repair of those is easy if they are not machine threads (which I doubt if in plastic). Just clip the ends of a couple of appropriately sized zip ties and insert in the stripped hole. That's what I do. Been at it for years. I also use that for "setting" screws in concrete. The tie causes the screw to score the actual concrete making for a VERY strong hold.

Zip ties, the universal fixer....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tell me more....

That does sound like a much better solution than the current one-screw set-up. I would love to see pictures and to know how you did this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that worked for awhile...

Repair of those is easy if they are not machine threads (which I doubt if in plastic). Just clip the ends of a couple of appropriately sized zip ties and insert in the stripped hole. That's what I do. Been at it for years. I also use that for "setting" screws in concrete. The tie causes the screw to score the actual concrete making for a VERY strong hold.

I may have to re-visit this method until I find something better.

·
Vendor
18,154 Posts
I have the trunk lid adjustment hardware from Wingstuff (I think that's where I got it) that has the two corner pieces that rest on the adjustable stops. Both have stripped- out their plastic threads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair this in a way that will be stronger than what's there now? I'm pretty sure that with the pressure of being the lid being closed, and just the vibration of the road, that leaving them in plastic will probably result in them breaking again.
Got someone needs one of those trunk kits. Any idea the name or web page? I don't see it on Wingstuff.com.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have repaired these parts by using Gorilla Glue Clear Epoxy, fill the screw hole w/ the epoxy, let it cure, then drill a coresponding hole in the plastic & insert the screw.
the screw will then thread the plastic, repair has been completed:thumbup: good as new..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice guys.

I like Fred's idea. Think I may give that try.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree, the ABS glue could be a good thread repair. It actually melts into the existing ABS. However, I would caution against filling the holes completely.

I tried something similar recently that involved a "thick" amount of ABS glue, and it takes forever for the glue to dry (when not in contact with air). It took over a week in 100+ temps, and softened the piece I was trying to glue.

I would suggest using something (maybe a toothpick) to smear a small amount of the glue inside the hole, on the damaged threads. If the stud or threaded piece that goes in the hole is steel you could even screw this in while the glue is still wet (gotta be quick). The glue will not bond to steel. If it is not steel just let it dry and remake the threads, and you might not have to re drill the hole, if you do, you already have a pilot hole.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think Waldo's zip tie is also a great temporary solution. The ABS glue might be the right solution, but the zip tie thing might get you home :)

·
Registered
3,643 Posts

:agree:Had to do the same to my lid on several holes.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Is the plastic threads a female side ? if so melt some plastic of same type
and fill it in then re screw the screw in when it hardens.

Not sure if I under stand perfectly what you mean. IF i had a picture might help. Sometimes I take a soldering gun and melt plastic.

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
I have been this route on past gl1800s. This is the reason I do not add nets or anything that requires removel or the use of the internal trunk lid screws at all. All the repairs mention are just RIGGED UP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts