GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
59,000 miles on a 2003. One fork seal is leaking. Plan on riding it past 100,000 miles.

Replace fork springs or not?

If replace... replace with what... Progressive?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Progressives are pretty decent and decently priced too. Definitely get new springs, and replace all the bushings, etc in the forks.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I suggest consideration of linear springs of more stout rating. Very limited fork travel on these bikes.

prs

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just replaced the springs and seals in on my VStar this past weekend. Went with progressive springs. I know the VStar is a different beast but I am so far completely satisfied. Definitely if your replacing seals go ahead with the springs also.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I would replace both fork seals, bushings, fluid and get a TRAXXION fork brace and springs. Also disable anti dive

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Get new seals, bushings, and new OEM springs for well under $100 and make it like it road when new. New OEM springs are less then $20 each.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Comparing the stock springs to the Race Techs I put in mine, it's a no brainer. The cost may be a little higher but the fun factor makes it worthwhile. Race Tech, Progressive, Traxxion, and I forget the others are all good products and beat the snot out of the stockers. Just as important is fork oil. Maybe call the different vendors and speak with them. Yeah they will want to sell you theirs but they will also make good and honest suggestions on set up.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
59,000 miles on a 2003. One fork seal is leaking. Plan on riding it past 100,000 miles.

Replace fork springs or not?

If replace... replace with what... Progressive?

If you haven't complained about the ride for 59,000 miles and only have a seal leak.
Then I'd just change the fork springs with STOCK springs.New upper/lower slider bushings (2 each side) 2 fork seal kits,10 wt fork oil.and you'll think the bike is new again.

Contrary to what others are saying.Guys like yourself don't need to replace stock springs with a stiffer spring.Many like yourself enjoy the stock ride the GL1800 gives.

I only suggest new stock springs because they restore the smooth ride you had when the bike was new and over time they do tend to sag,And as goldwingGreg said they are under $20-$25 each.So why not get that new feeling again for very little expense.:thumbup:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had "Full Monty" installed by wonderful guys at Rocket Moto Sport in Hollis.
Worth every penny. Only regret? That I didn't do it sooner... My wife loves riding with me again.. No pain/no complains....:yes1:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I replaced my stock springs with Traxxion.
Next rebuild I am going back to stock

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Progressives are pretty decent and decently priced too. Definitely get new springs, and replace all the bushings, etc in the forks.
YUP! :agree: Time for a total rebuild!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I just rode a '05 with stock springs and 35K. Get new ones. It was "floating" pretty bad just from being that old and sitting on the springs for that long. I have progressive, way better but definitely stiffer.

Chose wisely. I'm sure you can find a set of OEM like new on the WTB board.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If you haven't complained about the ride for 59,000 miles and only have a seal leak.
Then I'd just change the fork springs with STOCK springs.New upper/lower slider bushings (2 each side) 2 fork seal kits,10 wt fork oil.and you'll think the bike is new again.

Contrary to what others are saying.Guys like yourself don't need to replace stock springs with a stiffer spring.Many like yourself enjoy the stock ride the GL1800 gives.

I only suggest new stock springs because they restore the smooth ride you had when the bike was new and over time they do tend to sag,And as goldwingGreg said they are under $20-$25 each.So why not get that new feeling again for very little expense.:thumbup:
Some truth to that, for sure. But I was completely satisfied with the stock suspension until I upgraded, then realized how much MORE satisfied I was. If money is the overriding concern, then stock may be the best answer.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts

I'll agree with Rocky but add that if you would like a bit of a stiffer spring you might like the Progressives. Mine were fine when I got my Wing with the exception of going into some parking lots where there was a bump the forks would bottom out. With the Progressives they don't bottom out and the ride feels a little more solid. I prefer them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts