GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
My local Advance Auto carries some red lensed bulbs, and can order others. However - I caution you on changing to red from amber/orange. The amber color is a higher contrast in color to the other lights that are there, and therefore more noticeable. A blinking red against other red lights does not make for much of a difference, and is more likely to not be noticed with adverse consequences for all concerned.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
My local Advance Auto carries some red lensed bulbs, and can order others. However - I caution you on changing to red from amber/orange. The amber color is a higher contrast in color to the other lights that are there, and therefore more noticeable. A blinking red against other red lights does not make for much of a difference, and is more likely to not be noticed with adverse consequences for all concerned.
+1

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
My trunk lights now act as turning signals and they are red. Looks weird having one red and one amber.
I disagree with you sir - I find when I'm following other groups of bikes - the wing's blinker system really stands out much more obvious than the other bike's systems. But to each their own - personally I can't see my rear blinkers while I'm riding - so amber is fine with me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've read here (and other places), that at least in NY you can't have both a red and an amber directional. Either all red or all amber. When I put on the kit to make the trunk lights directionals I had to go with red LEDs. When I did that it increased the frequency of the flash. I know that I can fix that in the wiring, but I like it. The fast flash rate is very noticeable. People riding behind me have said that it stands out just fine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've read here (and other places), that at least in NY you can't have both a red and an amber directional. Either all red or all amber.
This is, I believe, part of a federal requirment. If you ask 100 LEO's, maybe 2 will know you are not supposed to have one of each, and, I'd bet of the 2 neither will care.

I left mine mixed because I think the contrast is higher.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I've read here (and other places), that at least in NY you can't have both a red and an amber directional. Either all red or all amber. When I put on the kit to make the trunk lights directionals I had to go with red LEDs. When I did that it increased the frequency of the flash. I know that I can fix that in the wiring, but I like it. The fast flash rate is very noticeable. People riding behind me have said that it stands out just fine.
This is, I believe, part of a federal requirment. If you ask 100 LEO's, maybe 2 will know you are not supposed to have one of each, and, I'd bet of the 2 neither will care.

I left mine mixed because I think the contrast is higher.
There is no federal or state statute concerning mixed turn signals that I have found. Or, in other words, you may have both red and amber signal lights. Front signal lights must be amber in color, while rear may be red or amber.

[h=5]Turn signal colour[/h]Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. The auto industry in the USA voluntarily adopted amber front-turn signals for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[SUP][53][/SUP][SUP][54][/SUP] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[SUP][55][/SUP] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour. Presently, almost all countries outside of the United States require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light.
In Canada and the US the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones.[SUP][56][/SUP][SUP][57][/SUP][SUP][58][/SUP] International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals,[SUP][59][/SUP] and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.[SUP][59][/SUP][SUP][60][/SUP][SUP][61][/SUP][SUP][62][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,[SUP][64][/SUP] and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.[SUP][65][/SUP]
There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs.[SUP][66][/SUP]
[h=5]Colour durability[edit][/h]
The colour coating has started to flake off this PY27/7W bulb, a relatively new problem.

The amber bulbs commonly used in turn signals with colourless lenses are no longer made with cadmium glass, since various regulations worldwide, including the European RoHS directive, banned cadmium because of its toxicity.[SUP][67][/SUP] Amber glass made without cadmium is relatively costly, so most amber bulbs are now made with clear glass dipped in an amber coating. Some of these coatings are not as durable as the bulbs themselves; with prolonged heat-cool cycles, the coating may flake off the bulb glass, or its colour may fade. This causes the turn signal to emit white light rather than the required amber light.
The international regulation on motor vehicle bulbs requires manufacturers to test bulbs for colour endurance.[SUP][68][/SUP] However, no test protocol or colour durability requirement is specified. Discussion is ongoing[SUP][69][/SUP] within the Groupe des Rapporteurs d'Éclairage, the UNECE working group on vehicular lighting regulation, to develop and implement a colour durability standard. Rather than using an amber bulb, some signal lamps contain an inner amber plastic enclosure between a colourless bulb and the colourless outer lens.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Let me get this straight. You turned your trunk lights into turn signals for whatever reason. I assume you think it will be more noticeable. Now you want to change the high contrast amber upper lights to red, and make your turning intentions less noticeable.

Does this make sense? You would be better off just putting the bike back to stock.

I have seen many different mods done to the factory lighting on this bike over the years, and have yet to see one that has made an improvement. Most of the time it is worse. The spoiler running light conversion has got to be the worst one of all, possibly equaled by the pulsating brake lights.

It's just my opinion.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I installed the kit from EC that turns the trunk lights into turn signals - yes, it does make for two colors blinking, BUT it also puts a blinking light closer to eye level for cage drivers.
Anything that might add to increased visibility, especially by a distracted car driver is a plus in my book.

Don't change the bulb color!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have an '06 with the clear lens and an amber bulb...I've had people tell me for a few years that the turn signal is not very noticeable...I recently put in LED bulbs and they are noticeable now !!...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of opinions of how I should configure "MY" bike. Not to be rude but I didn't ask if I should change to red or stay with amber. We all make our own choices for our "OWN" bikes for our "OWN" reasons.

So the helpful answers to my questions so far is that if I want to go red I would have to use LED's which I would rather not. I was unable to find Red bulbs on e-bay or anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
There is no federal or state statute concerning mixed turn signals that I have found. Or, in other words, you may have both red and amber signal lights. Front signal lights must be amber in color, while rear may be red or amber.

Turn signal colour

Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. The auto industry in the USA voluntarily adopted amber front-turn signals for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[SUP][53][/SUP][SUP][54][/SUP] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[SUP][55][/SUP] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour. Presently, almost all countries outside of the United States require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light.
In Canada and the US the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones.[SUP][56][/SUP][SUP][57][/SUP][SUP][58][/SUP] International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals,[SUP][59][/SUP] and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.[SUP][59][/SUP][SUP][60][/SUP][SUP][61][/SUP][SUP][62][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,[SUP][64][/SUP] and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.[SUP][65][/SUP]
There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs.[SUP][66][/SUP]
Colour durability[edit]

The colour coating has started to flake off this PY27/7W bulb, a relatively new problem.

The amber bulbs commonly used in turn signals with colourless lenses are no longer made with cadmium glass, since various regulations worldwide, including the European RoHS directive, banned cadmium because of its toxicity.[SUP][67][/SUP] Amber glass made without cadmium is relatively costly, so most amber bulbs are now made with clear glass dipped in an amber coating. Some of these coatings are not as durable as the bulbs themselves; with prolonged heat-cool cycles, the coating may flake off the bulb glass, or its colour may fade. This causes the turn signal to emit white light rather than the required amber light.
The international regulation on motor vehicle bulbs requires manufacturers to test bulbs for colour endurance.[SUP][68][/SUP] However, no test protocol or colour durability requirement is specified. Discussion is ongoing[SUP][69][/SUP] within the Groupe des Rapporteurs d'Éclairage, the UNECE working group on vehicular lighting regulation, to develop and implement a colour durability standard. Rather than using an amber bulb, some signal lamps contain an inner amber plastic enclosure between a colourless bulb and the colourless outer lens.
Please do not confuse us with logic!!! :joke:

·
Registered
423 Posts
[QUOTEet me get this straight. You turned your trunk lights into turn signals for whatever reason. I assume you think it will be more noticeable. Now you want to change the high contrast amber upper lights to red, and make your turning intentions less noticeable.

Does this make sense? You would be better off just putting the bike back to stock. [/QUOTE]

My saddlebag turnsignals were clear lenses (2008) with amber bulbs. There were no turnsignals in the trunk, just running lights. The wiring harness I installed turned the running into running/turn signals. Now I have 3 red bulbs on each side of the bike that indicate turns. Plus, the extra turn signals up in the trunk now help when I'm pulling the trailer. Lights are at eye level of the people behind me.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
A lot of opinions of how I should configure "MY" bike. Not to be rude but I didn't ask if I should change to red or stay with amber. We all make our own choices for our "OWN" bikes for our "OWN" reasons.

So the helpful answers to my questions so far is that if I want to go red I would have to use LED's which I would rather not. I was unable to find Red bulbs on e-bay or anywhere else.
You are correct. You did not ask. My post was intended to be helpful, but that doesn't matter. You are of course free to do with your bike however you please. My apologies. I'm out.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Please do not confuse us with logic!!! :joke:
LOL -- Sorry Chris, it's the engineer in me. Sometimes I just don't know what comes over me... :eek:4::twisted:

To the OP - your bike - your decision. Comments was never intended otherwise - just info to help you make an informed decision. And when you come on a forum to ask a question - then live with the answers you get. Don't like 'em, then ignore them - just like this post.

But sometimes, just sometimes, the opinions expressed gives us a new bit of insight or direction into what we thought we wanted not necessarily being what we actually needed, or what we end up with.

As to red bulbs on ebay - a very simple query resulted in 3,971 results for RED 1157 bulbs - so not sure how or where you were looking. And not all of them are LEDs, which are a good choice to use anyhow. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.Xred+1157&_nkw=red+1157&_sacat=0&_from=R40

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
LOL -- Sorry Chris, it's the engineer in me. Sometimes I just don't know what comes over me... :eek:4::twisted:

To the OP - your bike - your decision. Comments was never intended otherwise - just info to help you make an informed decision. And when you come on a forum to ask a question - then live with the answers you get. Don't like 'em, then ignore them - just like this post.

But sometimes, just sometimes, the opinions expressed gives us a new bit of insight or direction into what we thought we wanted not necessarily being what we actually needed, or what we end up with.

As to red bulbs on ebay - a very simple query resulted in 3,971 results for RED 1157 bulbs - so not sure how or where you were looking. And not all of them are LEDs, which are a good choice to use anyhow. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.Xred+1157&_nkw=red+1157&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Agreed... You took it in the manner in which it was meant. I was just being me... off the wall. I could see where this thread was headed and it was getting ugly. Guys were just trying to be helpful. I don't think the average Joe could even believe the amount of testing and research that goes into the determination of a simple little thing like the color of a turn signal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts