GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never use the left glove box because it never seems to be convenient to do so. I would use it a lot if I could open it without a key.

Any suggestions to replace the lock with a button or something else.

Also, how does the accessory panel (with the lock on it) come off?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If you are refering to the RIGHT locking pocket, a simple knob and key can be made up. Do a search, try key? About two months ago one was listed. Make a key, cut it about 5/8" long. Really insert into lock, mark the top, and add some to be put into a plastic knob of some kind. By heating the key with a flame, then insert into a plastic knob, melting it into place, but do not go past the top mark when inserted into lock. It opens the pocket, and gas cap, but to short for ignition. Just don't leave it hanging around, somebody could still copy to a full length key to fit ignition.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a key that stays in the right pocket lock cylinder. The axxess 27R(plastic head) will work the right pocket, gas door, trunk and ignition. It will not work the fork lock. If you lock the forks you still have minimum security. When ever I need greater security the key is pulled. If you want a spare key with a plastic head this key can be easily tooled with a dremmel to work all cylinders.

I

·
0 Posts
Walmart carrys a key blank that works for the 1800. I believe it is also a #27. Costs 1 George Washington. Don't know if has a large head or if it is all flat.

I wanted to make a flat key to carry in my wallet and I found out that Walmart has a blank 2 hours AFTER I had struck out at my local hardware store for a blank, so I went to my dealer and paid $13 for a Goldwing key blank, ground off the plastic head and had it cut to my ign key. I had a Silverwing scooter and it came with a spare flat wallet key. But the Goldwing, Hondas flagship cruiser, doesn't. and they don't even have a flat key blank available! Go figure! Mother Honda does some really strange things! :banghead:

Frankly, I appreciate the locking pocket. I keep my registration and proof of insurance in it, but each to his own.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm wondering more what the large washer is for?

·
Registered
271 Posts
The washer is used to cover the printing on the ignition switch / lock. It fits under the ignition key-knob. The key-knob is made from an OEM radio knob and an Axxess 27 key.

The two small knobs are for the Gerbing heated clothing.

They feed the two power jacks in the left panel.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm using it to carry my Archos MP3 player. It's hooked up on the bikes juice and has a remote to operate the thing. This way I can leave it on the bike when parked. (I guess you could do that too in the left pocket but other people might be tempted to 'take' it).

HTH

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
granpa in Cincy said:
sjvanepps said:
Hey Shooter:

Nice work. What are the two knobs at the bottom of the panel for?

John n Phil

Start readin' this thread

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... ight=#9377
That's what happens when CRS kicks in (can't remember s**t). I'd read that thread, and even posted a reply just below it. :lol: I need more riding time to clear the cobwebs in my head. We're back to cold/rainy/freezing weather here again. :roll:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I KNOW THIS IS NO HELP

but searching for goldwing items, i did find a company that made the exact thing you are asking about. was about $15. it replaced the key lock with a knob that turns.

perhaps that will ring a bell with someone.

the key blank idea would work fine, but you would need to remove it all the time due to security. someone could get take the key out and open up the trunks air ignition.

loren

1 - 13 of 13 Posts