GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don't replace my front proir to leaving, it will probably need to be replaced during the trip. Is it a hassle getting tires replaced on the road (OE Bridgestones) not having a preset schedule?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If I don't replace my front proir to leaving, it will probably need to be replaced during the trip. Is it a hassle getting tires replaced on the road (OE Bridgestones) not having a preset schedule?
I doubt the tire is going to tell you "Its time to replace me" when you are near a service center that has Brigestones. I am pretty sure it will be a hassle and more expensive than if you do it now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
:agree:

Being that it's a long-distance road trip, you can rest assured that you will encounter inclement weather at some point in your journey. Personally, I'd feel much more confident on new rubber than on one nearing the end of it's road-gripping tread life.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
How many miles is the trip and what condition is the tire in? If you know you will have to replace it on the trip, I would do it now and have a smoother ride and more relaxing time knowing you are riding on a new shoe up front.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
the last few miles of tread life seem to wear much faster, change now and safe any issues trying to find a dealer on the road.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's expensive and a hassle AND you're always worrying about it. That's why I've accumulated an extra set of wheels and start long trips with new rubber. Then when I get home I run off the most worn and have new rubber put on ready to go again. Rear wheels from trike take offs are cheap ($50-$75) fronts are dearer ($285 new or on Craigs list, ebay or GL1800 buy/sell)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
This is a simple one;

change NOW while you are not under any time constraints etc...simple

Why risk changing on the road...is thatminimal extra mileage worth the hassle and potential cost of getting some unknown entity on te road to change your tire??

Easy answer...NOW

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I needed a rear in NE while on a long trip. I should have changed it before I left home. The Honda dealer charged nearly $300 and gouged the wheel.
I now leave on long trips on tires with plenty of tread.

·
Vendor
21,895 Posts
The problem with getting tires replaced while on a trip, is you usually end up paying about $100 more for the tire than you normally would, and you won't be able to find the brand you want and will have to take whatever they have, and then you will waste a day of your trip trying to get it done.

My advice would be to change it before you leave.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Change it out prior to your trip and enjoy the piece of mind that comes with good rubber (tires).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Unlike my vote in November...I vote for CHANGE.:yes1:

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
I went on a 5k trip last year knowing I should get new tires before I left and worried the whole time, never again.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys. One trip I was riding my 79 KZ1000MKII from Denver to Miami and just couldn't make myself replace that 1/2 worn rear tire. I swear every gas stop I could see the tread getting thinner. By the time I pulled into Florida I knew I wasn't going to make it, then later that day I had a flat tire and limped into a Kawasaki shop. They didn't have a tire but they repaired the flat, but were too dumb to even know how much slack to give the chain, so I redid that. Next day in Miami I have another flat and remove the wheel and roll it into a dealer a few blocks away. They have no tube, so back to the bike and reinstall the wheel sweating like a pig and ride with a flat tire to another dealer and get gouged on a new tire I really wouldn't have prefered using if I had choice. Enough of that, from then on out I had new tires every year before heading out.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I am another with an extra set of wheels.
It allows me to shop around for the right deal on tires,and I can put the new tires on before a trip,and change them back when I get home if I want.
This makes one less thing to worry about on the trip.

Just a week ago,I was getting ready for a ride to Quickdraw's for a work party.On Wednesday evening I discovered a bad wheel bearing.If I didn't have the spare wheel with the new tire mounted,I might have had to wait for parts and might not have been able to make the weekend at Quickdraw's

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yikes. I hope the prophets of doom can be wrong!!!

I will be leaving on a 16,000 mile trip to Alaska in a little less than a month from now with a fairly new front tire and a brand new rear tire. I know that I am never going to make it back home on the same rubber. Just hope that I have good fortune finding Bridgestones when I need them!

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Naw. Why settle for safety and piece of mind? Keep running them til they go flat, then only change the flat one. That way, you get all the wear out of the old one (saved a whole lot of money), and you get to wait for a wrecker, a ride in a wrecker to a shop, a wait for the shop to order a tire, wait for delivery, and then an extra hundred bucks for the tire, extra for mounting, and it only happens on a Saturday evening so toss in a extra leisure day.

Never do preventive maintenance. It dulls the ride....:shrug:

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is a simple one;

change NOW while you are not under any time constraints etc...simple

Why risk changing on the road...is thatminimal extra mileage worth the hassle and potential cost of getting some unknown entity on te road to change your tire??

Easy answer...NOW

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Naw. Why settle for safety and piece of mind? Keep running them til they go flat, then only change the flat one. That way, you get all the wear out of the old one (saved a whole lot of money), and you get to wait for a wrecker, a ride in a wrecker to a shop, a wait for the shop to order a tire, wait for delivery, and then an extra hundred bucks for the tire, extra for mounting, and it only happens on a Saturday evening so toss in a extra leisure day.

Never do preventive maintenance. It dulls the ride....:shrug:

JM - Have you thought about getting a tire delivered to where you are going in AK so it will be there when you are?

Note

1 - 20 of 27 Posts