GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced alternator today with one of the aftermarket alternators.... It made more rattles that the old original.... My Old alternator rattles around 2500 to 2800 rpms.... The new replacement started making noises from 1500 rpms and up..... I will return for refund and bit the bullet and get the hondaline replacement...

I know it is not the ADG dampener,,, they replaced that 13,000 miles ago and I know the sounds that critter makes when going bad.... Any one else on board had same problem with aftermarket alternator???? It is 02 with 50,000 miles.....

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If you bought it from Ebay.Yes I have heard of it before (once).But they made good on it and the replacement alt was quiet according to the other member this happened too.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you bought it from Ebay.Yes I have heard of it before (once).But they made good on it and the replacement alt was quiet according to the other member this happened too.

Got to watch out on some things on Ebay. Local biker said he bought a penis enlarger for $50.00 off Ebay and finally after 2 weeks waiting he got a package and he hurried and opened it up and there was a magniflying glass inside. I will never buy nothing else...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Replaced mine at 89,000 with OEM did not want to take a chance. since the last one lasted 89,000 figured a stock one would too

·
Registered
948 Posts
Replaced mine this w/e with Ebay one from Discount Starter and Alternator; made in China. Runs quiet and charges good. Hope it holds up well. My old one has open rectifiers and an open rotor winding after 61,000 miles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not to hijack the thread (or show my age) but does anyone still rebuild a alternators anymore? As I recall you could have this done at a local shop at a fraction of the cost of a OEM part.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not to hijack the thread (or show my age) but does anyone still rebuild a alternators anymore? As I recall you could have this done at a local shop at a fraction of the cost of a OEM part.

Local biker had his GW 1500 alternator rebuilt a couple years ago. Still holding up.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Is there some problem or reason these can not be refurbished with new wear parts. We have a local shop with a very good repution.

prs

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Why mess around rebuilding? $300 bucks from Hal gets you a nice shiny new one.

Trev.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We have a local shop with a very god repution.
Just had to repost, gave me smile this morning. So few shops worth creating a belief system out of.
Take the original to a good auto electric shop and have them put new bearings & brushes in it. Should cost less than $100.
I do not dispute the cost, but you forgot the Rectifier/Diode replacement. Generically the usual failure on an alternator is the regulator (this is integrated into the field winding brush assembly), Rectifier/Diode, brushes, then bearing failure in that order. If the Diodes fail shorted they can sometimes take out the windings leaving you with a lump of coal.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Generically the usual failure on an alternator is the regulator (this is integrated into the field winding brush assembly), Rectifier/Diode, brushes, then bearing failure in that order. If the Diodes fail shorted they can sometimes take out the windings leaving you with a lump of coal.
That's exactly what happened to mine. Too costly to repair. :agree:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts