GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new battery. A good friend has recommended the Odyssey PC 545 and another friend suggested the Yuasa application for my bike.

For those that have the Odyssey PC 545, or those that have the Yusasa for the 1800, do these have the same kind of connections as the OEM batteries?

If I go with the Odyssey, I will have to either order it myself or have the dealer do it for me which delays getting the bike back on the road. I had the Yuasa in my Valkyrie and it was just a matter of taking the old one out and putting the new on in.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Just a note if you did not already know it, Yuasa is Honda's OEM battery...

HDL has always got a good deal going on them...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have an Odyssey 545, and like it. My dim recollection is that the connection is vaguely u-shaped to fit over the Yuasa post, and that I had to straighten it out some with pliers. Not a piece of cake, not hard.

·
Vendor
17,356 Posts
I always go with the Yuasa and get good service out of them. You can get the conventional one or the newer gel type that the 2010 and 12s come with.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My factory original Yuasa batter gave me 8 years of reliable service. I can't imagine a better recommendation than that to stick with Yuasa.
YMMV

·
Registered
70 Posts
Because of my riding style/frequency combined with my lack of battery care I used to have to buy a new MC battery annually or not longer than every 2 years. I only ride on weekends and seem to have some aversion to hooking up the battery tender. 3 years ago I got an Odyssey for my GL1200. It seems to be still going strong. My opinion is that if you ride regularly or take care of your battery the Yuasa would just great. They make a fine battery. Odyssey makes batteries for the military and just in the last few years started making some available to the consumer market. I don't see any way to go wrong with the Odyssey but I think for most people the OEM battery is great.

I currently have the OEM style Yuasa in my 02 GL1800. I have only owned it a few months. What I replace it with will depend on what kind of life I get out of this battery.

Bill

·
Registered
927 Posts
DEKA ETX20L is a AGM type and a direct replacement for the Yuasa. It's made in East Penn, PA.
The OEM Yuasa in the Wing is also AGM. So is the Odyssey. Most OEM and premium replacement motorcycle batteries are AGM these days, wet cells are rare, except in cheap replacements, gels are just rare.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I still am using the OEM battery from 2005 also, but purchased a new one last year from SAMS Club. About $65.00 (Still in the box) Now, here's a picture of the old and new battery. They're the SAME !!!

The new battery still has the red foil over the caps.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Buy the best battery you can afford.... I believe in replacing with a Honda Yuasa battery FROM the DEALER. These are the same batteries that come in your wing from new and you should get excellent service from them. Make sure that it is charged CORRECTLY the first time. A smart charger intended for AGM batteries for 10 hrs (this is a must) for good service life.The dealer will do it for you....do not rush him, buy the battery and pick it up the next day fully charged. Make sure the battery has the Honda wing on it (like the one in the previous post )

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The Odyssey PC 545 is $109 with FREE shipping or faster if you elect to pay more at Amazon.com.
I purchased my YTX 20L-BS for $81.95+$9.99 shipping at Amazon about 6 months ago. It will last forever if electrolyte is not put in the battery case. No sales tax :thumbup:.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts