GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Con: rear wheel is in contact with the ground (when center stand deployed) makinging it difficult to change rear tire.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cons: Can't get the front tire off the ground with the center stand deployed. Ride off stands tend to drag in corners more often that stock stand. Never park in neutral as it is too easy to push/roll off the stand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Drive off centerstand

I had one on my 05 wing, you want pro's and con's.

Pro's 1. No lifting the wing to put on center stand, just stradle the bike, put left toe or heel on centerstand brkt and hit the reverse. The bike will rock backward and finishup on the stand. Absolutley no lifting!

2. No rocking the bike to get off the stand, just put in gear, feet out and be ready for it to come off the stand when you give it some throttle.

Con's 1. When the bike is on the center stand the rear tire is slightly touching the ground which makes it impossible to rotate the rear tire for pressure checks and also washing the full wheel.

I liked mine, and could see how it would be extremly beneficial to someone that was having trouble with centerstanding the bike,(whatever the reason).

I did buy my bike used and it came with it, however I did get tired of the rear tire touching and I sold it, and went back to the stock one. I am a stickler on tire pressure and check it every ride. So the valve stem placement pre-planning was too much trouble. Short of that, i liked it alot.

You can put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under the stand and that will act as if to lenghten the stand and when it comes up it will let the rear tire spin free. However it is a little bit of work and effort to get it centered under the bike and all.

WARNING! if you do change the stock centerstand, the right side bolt that holds the stand to the frame is a lefthand thread!!! So turn it clockwise to loosen it, if you don't, your'e in for some fun, don't ask me how I know!!:yes1:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I like mine. I also have a Park 'n Move so I put 2 1x4's on top of the Park 'n Move to get the rear wheel off the ground so I can wheel the bike around like when I had the stock centerstand. I need to back the bike up onto 3- stacked 1 x 4's to make getting it on the Park 'n Move easy.

The drawback noted above regarding checking rear tire pressure go away with the Park 'n Move. I never wash my rear wheel while it's on the bike so that part doesn't bother me.

http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm

·
Banned
208 Posts
if you use a 180/70 tire in the back you can do the same thing that they claim with the stock center stand, I do...

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
if you use a 180/70 tire in the back you can do the same thing that they claim with the stock center stand, I do...
And you can also enjoy an instability with he 70 series too. Been there and will not go back.

·
Banned
208 Posts
And you can also enjoy an instability with he 70 series too. Been there and will not go back.

Please elaborate on the instability of the 180/70 tire. I never experienced it when I had it on the bike.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Just called baker,talked to john he says the stand will not work on a bike thats been lowered (by lowerwingprod. backet). So i guess i will try to fab one myself.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Do some searching this topic on the instability with a 70 series tire has been discussed in the horse has been beaten to death several times. Not going to open a topic back up here

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Differant brand that Hal sold, ride off stand does work with my wing products lowering kit (big one 1.2 inch). Had a heck of a time with oem center stand. I use the stand as a center stand, not ride off ! Believe it will still ride off, just do not remember what I do automatically? (had shoulder operation few months ago, no riding).

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Baker Ride Off Center Stand:
I replaced my oem center stand with the Baker and really like it
1. easier to get the motorcycle on the center stand
2. easier when riding two up and the wife can climb aboard and I simply roll away
3. it "seems" a bit more unstable than the oem but I have tried to tip the motorcycle over while on the centerstand and have not had any success
4. yes the rear tire does touch the ground....that is what makes it a "ride off"...this is not an issue for me as I don't (yet) change my own tires and if I did I would use a Pitbull type lift to do so
5. when parked you MUST MUST MUST leave the motorcycle in gear otherwise it can, especially when on an incline roll off the stand and tip over...don't ask how I know that :oops:
6. installation...had to take my motorcycle to a shop to get the oem removed, the one allen bolt is a real bear to get out and I did not have the air tools to do so

Bottom line is the ride off center stand for us was an accessory for which the money was well spent

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Baker Ride Off Center Stand:
I replaced my oem center stand with the Baker and really like it
1. easier to get the motorcycle on the center stand
2. easier when riding two up and the wife can climb aboard and I simply roll away
3. it "seems" a bit more unstable than the oem but I have tried to tip the motorcycle over while on the centerstand and have not had any success
4. yes the rear tire does touch the ground....that is what makes it a "ride off"...this is not an issue for me as I don't (yet) change my own tires and if I did I would use a Pitbull type lift to do so
5. when parked you MUST MUST MUST leave the motorcycle in gear otherwise it can, especially when on an incline roll off the stand and tip over...don't ask how I know that :oops:
6. installation...had to take my motorcycle to a shop to get the oem removed, the one allen bolt is a real bear to get out and I did not have the air tools to do so

Bottom line is the ride off center stand for us was an accessory for which the money was well spent
+1 :agree:mine works well with Dunnie ROF tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts