GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from my dealer this IS. He was told that Honda will replace my frame under warranty; My dealer will be doing the replacement at his place. He has never done this before as I am sure most dealers have not. I have a high degree of confidence in his ability to ensure that the replacement goes smoothly. I am glad that the bike is not going out of state for repairs as this means hopefully a lot shorter down time. Dealer says he hopes to make swap in 3 days or so once new frame is delivered.
I an concerned about title changes if any and have my Daughter who is a lawyer looking into any and all ramifications of a frame swap under NJ DMV law and Federal law. Dealer say Honda will be in touch with me as to treatment of any and all additional items on bike. Total and complete replacement of anything I have added that would be effected by swap is all I am looking for.
Bike has been photographed at dealership to record condition of bike once it was turned over to dealer. A list of any and all additional added chrome etc and all wiring and electrical additions will be made prior to any work being done. Dealer has agreed and this is for both his and my protection. We have agreed to work together to get this done as fast and complete as possible and at the same time use it as a learning experience for him when he has do another one. And I think this might turn out like weld problem where every frame will be inspected based on info and statistics of reported cracked frames.
Honda has not given me a cause as I am sure they need the frame to find out what went wrong. So any info as to cause of problem would just be a swag at this point. Bike had 18050 miles on it. Bike was not abused, jumped, ridden over any potholes, been in the frame recall, or needed any welds rewelded. I suggest everyone check your frame again in the spots pointed out. It is very hard to see the cracks with the bike on the center stand. I had looked at my frame for cracks ever since the last frame problem and never saw this crack until I could get up close under the bike with it on a lift with no obstructions near problem area. Dealer had to remove muffler etc and then use a mirror and a high powered light to see crack. He then had to remove powder coat to see extent of crack. Bigger than it looks.
I will post info as I receive it and keep everyone updated. I will not post any info unless I can completely and accurately back it up. We cannot afford to have what happened with the OH and weld problems tear the BBS up over this new problem. For all those who would doubt that a problem exists, I would like to let you look at my cracked frame and then decide if you would ride it with you wife, your child, your SO or even yourself on the bike. Again, it was hard to find and not a cracked weld, but a FRAME………….. :roll:

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Jerry,

Hope all goes well.

I will add about the frame swap, my wife was an insurance adjuster in the 1970's and 80's. At the time when most cars had full frames under them. The company she worked for replaced a couple of frames under vehicles.

I am sure the laws as such that you will not recieve a salvage title under a warranty issue from the OE manufacturer aka Mother Honda. If the state attempts to force this on you fight it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Now that is what this board needed. Honest, straight forward and no B.S. info. Let's all hope that this will be the future method of all of us responding to this issue.

Thanks, Jerry. We all hope you have a speedy resolution.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Glad to hear that it's going to work out ok for you, Jerry. If it HAS to have a new frame serial number, wonder why they couldn't just give you a new title? Good luck with a quick turn-around. (I mean that in a good way :D )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Frame.

Topster,

Please keep us updated as to what Honda says is the cause of the frame failure. After reading your E-mail and posts, I noticed your Vin # is very close to mine.

Sincerely, Sadlsore. :shock:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Topster, Good luck with the frame change out. This is a MAJOR job. It will take a full 3 days from the dealers I have talked to. It would be fun to watch them do it & see where they run into trouble with getting things back together. I am sure they will do a fine job for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is going to do just fine Top best of luck. In looking at the pictures and where the crack is I don't know if putting a hitch on for the trailer I just bought is very smart :eek:ops2: !!! Has any of the bikes affected had trailers hooked to them? :?: My luck has not been so great since I got this 03 Ididn't here about the first frame problems until 1 week after I bought mine then I just bought this trailer 2 weeks ago now this. Guess I will stop buying stuff :banghead:

Good luck again Top

·
Registered
3 Posts
new frame

I obviously cannot comment on American dealers but if my experience is anything to go by, dont be worried about having a new frame.

Honda UK picked up my US import 2003 orange 1800 and left me with a loan 1800 and after around a week and half they delivered me back my bike, all valeted and everything, including all extras were fitted and working as before.

Even though I was worried at the time about having a new frame, it is surely much better than a weld job.

Incidentally, the frame came from the States and was stamped with the same VIN number, so there will be no problem on the resale.

Not everyone in the UK had a new frame, but if I had a choice I would definitely insist on one.

Keep smiling we are still riding the best bike in the world despite the hiccups.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
I find it incredible that Honda would so quickly authorise a new replacement frame,without even having one of thier own field reps look at it first. This is a new crack area unrelated to the other recalled bikes so it just seems like they would want to see it first or maybe they did?

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Jerry,

For what it is worth, I think you are taking the right course of action by accepting a new frame. If I were you, I would suggest to the dealer to take all the time he needed and to go slowly and double check everything during the swap. Make sure all the wires and cables are routed properly and that every fastner goes right back where it came from.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since these frame breaks are apparently random, I wonder if the new frames are manufactured differently to prevent this from cracking on the replacements. Will follow the posts,,thanks for the info, Fred and others.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Maybe I am more skepticle than most of the board members, but if this was my bike I would try to work out some other type of a resolution with Honda. I wouldn't be worried about the quality of the new frame, I would be more concerned about the qualifications of the tech doing the job. This is one MAJOR undertaking, and probably one that the tech has never even come close to doing on a Goldwing with all the numerous components that will have to be removed. Members on this board have complained that their dealers tech have broken tabs off the tupperware, scratched and damaged plastic, left items loose, etc., and this wasn't on a major job like a frame replacement. If this was my bike I would try and work out a generous allowance towards a new bike, or the very least of having the factory do this job. Just my 2cents worth!

I sincerely hope that things work out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rebuild

With regard to the rebuild of the bike after having a new frame delivered.

I am convinced after receiving my bike back that it is better put together (in fact hand-built from frame upwards) than when it was assembled at the factory.

The UK recall was done by qualified Honda technicians and not local dealers.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Jerry..good luck with the rebuild. As for the frame and DMV, I have experience with HD frames. The factory can and most likely will number the new frame to match the old numbers.

Ken

·
Registered
891 Posts
Topster

I sure hope you make out good on the swap,and everything works out neat for you. I feel this will cost Honda about 10 grand,why not just give you anothe bike,for all the agony they put you through. I feel the Q.C on theis bike stinks,and they couldn't wait too get this bike out,at our expense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts