GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Springs

Progressive springs are one size fits all. The Traxxion springs are sold for your specific weight.I love mine Traxxion.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The Progressive brand springs for the Gl 1800 are progressively wound like the OE HOnda springs. Hopefully they do not tire out as quickly as the HOnda OEs! I "think" the springs Max offers are constant wound. In theory, that suggests the Progressives are going to be a bit more forgiving of small bumps and then get a bit more aggressive in fending off larger bumps; but in the end they may bottom-out more easily than the springs Max is providing. I have the Progressive brand springs (front and rear) on now and they are in improvement over the stock ones, but not so that I wax poetic over them like so many of Maz McCallister's clients. He's gotta be do'n somethin' right!

prs

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I replaced my Progressives with the Traxxion kit...not just the springs. The kit includes two shocks as opposed to just one shock that comes with the OEM suspension system. Progressive only offers the springs...no 2nd shock. I would choose Traxxion's kit over Progressive any day. You get more so you pay more.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I have measure the fork sag on quite a few 1800 now. The stock Wing with the typical Wing owner sags roughly 3 inches with just the owner sitting on the bike. Even with a light rider of 180lbs (the lightest Wing owner I have measured) just sitting on the bike, the stock forks will sag 2.625 inches. So even with a light rider, the Wings stock forks are more than half way used up just sitting on the bike.

I have also measured a few Wings with Progressive springs installed and with a rider weighing 270lbs the forks still sagged 3 inches with the Progressive springs. That same bike with the Traxxion springs installed, the forks now sag 1 inch with the owner sitting on the bike. Now that same bike has 2 more inches of fork travel that he didn't have with the Progressive springs, and the bike doesn't ride with the front end nearly bottomed out.

So if you are a light rider then the Progressive springs with it's one size fits all spring might be good enough for you, but if you are a heavy rider and most Wing owners are, than Traxxion which match the spring rates to your weight is the way to go.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
How about on a trike conversion?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Springs

Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn`t know Traxxion sold there springs based upon the weight of the rider.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
The weight of the rider, the passenger, how you load your bike and if you pull a trailer. I have had the whole system since July 23 and couldn't be happier.

The plushness(not the right term but can't think of a better one right now) over normal road bumps is great but the handling is why I did the up grade. The bike now goes where I want it, when I want it to. There is no more hitting a bump in the road and ending up in the next track or worse yet the next lane. I do most of my riding with a trailer on the interstates and don't shy away from big cities. Before the upgrade my biggest fear was riding with flow of traffic in the fast lane and hitting a bump or pot hole and ending up in the middle lane. With the stock setup this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Talk about pucker factor, especially when there is an 18 wheeler in the middle lane. Now I have no worries. The bikes tires now stay in contact with the road and no more bouncing all over.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
For those considering a suspension upgrade, remember, there is a big difference between getting Progressive springs and getting the Traxxion upgrade. While you can get Traxxion springs by themselves, the whole upgrade is much more than springs.

The OEM system has only one shock up front in one fork. The other fork contains a damper plus a spring. Progressive springs do not change this. The complete Traxxion kit for the front consists of two shocks, one for each fork. Progressives are good [I had them before getting Traxxion] but one cannot compare them to Traxxion's complete kit. It is comparing apples to oranges. With Progressives, you are still left with just one shock.

I couldn't tell you whether Traxxion springs by themselves are better than Progressive. I can tell you that the entire front kit from Traxxion is better than just Progressive springs. Whether it's worth the extra cost is something only you can decide.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I replaced my front springs with Traxxion springs. (did not do the damper upgrade). I am very happy with the result. I don't know if they are better than "progressive" brand, but I am very pleased with the result. And since they (Traxxion) are made specifically for my weight I think ( imo) they would be better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also had just the front traxxion spring install in addition to the All Balls bearings while on vacation in Georgia. The remainder of the trip was a far better ride, with much improved handling. I am saving for the rear shock upgrade!!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
PM or e-mail Max at Traxxion, he'll be glad to explain all the pros and cons.

S

·
0 Posts
The OEM system has only one shock up front in one fork.
For some reason Honda just loves the one sided shock concept. The 1500's had the same deal on the rear. One shock one air bladder.
I switched to Progressive brand springs and noticed little however I would say the dual shock conversion makes a lot of sense and would probably be the most logical way to upgrade.
When they upgrade the left leg do the dispose of the anti-dive? Dispose is a good word :wink:

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Hi Storm,

When the AK-20 Kit is installed on a Wing, the ADV isn't changed in anyway, but fluid no longer passes through it, so it is effectively totally disabled.

:capwin:

S

·
0 Posts
Two good things going then - no faulty anti-dive and dual shocks. I would imagine the change would be quite noticeable and for the better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts