GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been to the board for a while and things have certainly changed. I used to be member #194 but I suppose that is in the past as I had to re-register. The key issue has been covered many times but I never paid attention as I knew that I would NEVER lose a key!!! Guess what......
Does anyone remember the correct Honda key blank that can be used for the GL1800? Your help would be appreciated as I don't really want to buy one at the GL1800 replacement price!
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yep

Honda axxess+ number 27. NOT 27R with the rubber cap-it won't work.

Wal-Mart $.97

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The Axxess 27R(plastic handle) can be tooled to lengthen the grooves and it will work. Untooled it will not lock/unlock the forks. This can be usefull as a right pocket/gas key that can be left on the bike when high security isn't needed. The plain 27 works all locks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Did you ask for the Axxess #27? If you just ask them which key to use, they won't recommend that key, but the one they are told to use doesn't work, so you have to make sure they are using the Axxess #27.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Thanks for the key info! It's nice to know that one can always return to this board and get the help that they need :lol: !
Again, thank you all
Jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
This thread is 6 years old and still very acurate. After making the trip to Walmart, them Lowes, and finally Ace Hardware, i was about to give up. I was in search of the Axxess #27 but no one carried it. After doubling back to the site, the recomendation was to go to Home Depot as they still carry the #27 in addition to the #27R. I explained to the key cutter that I wanted a #27 which she replied, "that ain't how we cut keys. What is it for"? I explained that it was for a Goldwing and she began shaking her head that they didn't have no motorcycle keys. I stayed very calm and polite and told her that if she didn't want to cut it, that I would buy 4 blanks and take them with me. She decided that we could try it but that it WOULD NOT WORK!! With tax it cost me $ 6.83 for 4 keys and they work perfectly.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Go back and make her a believer. A picture or first hand knowledge is greater than an agrument. You will make her day!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Home Depot for me...I just pointed to the #27 and said "this is the right one" and they were happy to make me a spare key. It works perfectly in the ignition and handles the fork locks too.

So far I keep it in an inner pocket on my mesh jacket that really isn't good for much else.

But I realy feel like hiding one on the bike somewhere. I think I will take some previously posted advice and conceal it under some black silicone on the inside of one of the side covers. Peeled off and cleaned up it will work fine and I think the casual thieves will miss it.

Unless I hear any more brilliant covert techniques...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thanks to Bear, here are replacement blanks for the GL1500 and GL1800

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Home Depot worked for me!

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Home Depot worked for me!
Yep. I tried several Wal Marts and Lowes and all they had was the 27R. Home Depot was the only place I found with the Axxess 27.

The grooves for the lock cylinder keyway in the 27R don't go the full length of the key, and consequently, you can't push down on it and turn it to engage the steering lock.

·
Registered
124 Posts
key duplicated

I just had a spare made at a local locksmith for $3, after looking for a blank at Walmart and Ace. Quick and easy, and a good price.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Honda Accord Key will fit too
... the number looks like:
HD103 (might be HDI03)
X214

works in the ignition too

cost me $1.87 at the local hardware store.

My local WalMart refused to try ...

Dennis

·
Registered
574 Posts
A friend of mine and I went to our local Wal-Mart a while ago to get spare keys for our 1800's. He went up to the counter first and made the mistake of telling the clerk that he wanted her to make him a spare Goldwing key using the Axxess 27 blank. She absolutely refused on the ground that "it won't work."

I then went up to the counter and said I needed her to make me a spare Honda key using the Axxess 27 blank. She made the spare without any complaint. My friend handed me his key under the counter and I again asked her for a spare Honda key. Again, no problem.

I really get tired of 19-year-old sales clerks acting like they know all the answers when they in fact know next to nothing even in their own department.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I spent way too much time going to a hardware store, Walmart, Lowes and attempting to call Home Depot with no luck. I could not find anyone that had the #27 blank and paid the dealer the $20 for the key. I was able to get a new Honda remote with lifetime warranty for just under $60, paired to the bike by the dealer. They had a great deal of difficulty doing so, glad I did not get stuck having to deal with it.

I will again try Home Depot (a 65+ mile drive) when I get in the area, just to see if I can get another key made there.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You can also try your local locksmith. We have a locksmith shop nearby whose business is called PHS-personal home security and he has blanks for all years of the wings including current 1800s. He also has them with the Goldwing fob on the end for only $12.00. So try your neighborhood guy first. If you go to Home Depot just ask for the key by number and tell them its for a Honda and just dont tell them its a bike and theyll happily cut it for you. At least at ours thats how we do it with no hassles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts