GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Just replaced the pads, front & rear. Both function very well. However, the fronts are still squeeking after 1000 miles. The rears squeek intermittenly. Did I do something wrong in the installation? Or is there something I can do to stop it?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
it will go away in time, when the new pads conform to the slightest of grooves in the rotors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You may need to spray the back of the pads with a special disc brake coating to stop the squeak. Berryman makes some good stuff, you can probably find it at AutoZone. Take care George

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Texan said:
You may need to spray the back of the pads with a special disc brake coating to stop the squeak. Berryman makes some good stuff, you can probably find it at AutoZone. Take care George
My independent Gold Wing repair shop also sells stick on anti-squeak pads (which I installed on my stock original pads to eliminate the squeek).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What brand did you install?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Brake squeels are normally caused by a vibration. I would apply some silicone brake adheasive to the back of the pads. Available at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
705 Posts
This was brought up a couple of weeks ago and I posted a longer than required reply. Heres the short of it.

Squeak in most cases caused when piston hits back metal plate of the pad.

Sometimes dirt, dust.

Some people spray, cut slots etc.

Here is a $4.95 fix. Go to your local Metric Bike shop and get some SBC brake shims, 4 to a pack (Parts Unlimited Catalog or Dennis Kirk). Take the pad out out and cut the shim to fit the back of the pad.

Peel off paper and stick to back of the brake pad. The squeak will go away.

They will not come off.

We went thru this thing on the Zuki VL1500 forum for 2 years.

I put these on my Zuki (Noise was so loud it would scare dogs)

I put 38,000 miles on the machine after adding the shims, quiet as a church mouse. If I remember correctly it was only a front brake problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts