GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the shocks on their Champion solid axle kit? Is a softer ride possible?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have. But they also have 60K on them.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I assume you have tried adjusting the shocks by changing the step on each shock for a different ride.

Bill, Can you explain what is required to adjust the shocks?

Thanks.

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
Bill, Can you explain what is required to adjust the shocks?

Thanks.
Each shock has an adjustable ring for spring tension. The ring has 5 steps in it and there is a cog on the shock body that fits into one of these steps. You need a Spanner to adjust this ring. You have to get under the trike and reach up to each shock and use the spanner to twist the ring to set the step you want on the cog. Some people say this whole operation can be done by taking off the tires and reaching in from the side to adjust the ring. I don't know since I have never tried it that way. The spanner is the only tool needed. I fit a 6 inch piece of pipe over the spanner handle to give me more leverage to twist the ring. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The spring adjustment is just a preload adjustment that changes ride height. It doesn't actually change the rate of the spring. It does move weight slightly forward or back, which may cause a slight change in ride, but not much.

The only way shocks can badly affect ride is if they are too stiff for their springs. Pretty unlikely, especially with older ones.

Basically ride is set by suspension design and spring rate, which is set by available suspension travel. It's very possible the Champion doesn't have much. And solid axle trikes have a stiffer ride, because they have high unsprung weight. Any bump has to actually move a large and heavy axle assembly, and that force comes through.

Sorry, there's no magic cure. )-:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts