GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Well my parts finally arrived. this is a continuation of the "gas gauge not working" thread i had going. Since the end result of that was a bad meter panel, i am moving the rest to here.
So, how do you take it out? i can see the center post from the back as i have the front windshield off and the panel under neath. There are two other bolts. just wondering how best to get at them. i saw the remove from a Fred Harmon picture by picture, for a 2009... will it be fairly similar?

After i get that out and fixed, then i get to reassemble. Bought a number of rubber washers, bushings and pieces of the windshield to reinstall. Also the side piece off the meter visor that was broken. So when it goes back together, things should be tight again.

Wish me luck on reassembling... have the disk set at least so once i get the meter panel done, the rest i can find out how to do...
dave

·
Registered
748 Posts
After you remove the meter panel there are four 8 mm bolts to remove, two on either side of the combo meter and two below it. Kind of grasp the meter box at the bottom and pull it toward you and then rotate it up. The stay on the back of the combo meter box pops out of the retainer behind it. Then remove the two electrical connectors in the back and it's free.

I removed mine without taking off the front fairing - you need small hands to reconnect those two connectors when it goes back in!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks DDuelin, this is a set of instructions i found by Fred H. its for the 2009. is this similar? i had the visor off anyway as i was trying to get at the connections to test the wires during the process so i have access to the back.

dave

·
Vendor
16,653 Posts
Can you give us a clue as to what year Wing you are working on ???

As for slide tape. That job is labor intensive. The best tool I've found to use is a heat gun, the end edges of a 6" metal scale, isopropyl alcohol, and a corse rage. Do that job while the visor is still mounted.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am sorry, but i am a little dense on this... :( i cannot see what is holding it in place. it looks like everything around it has been removed but i cant pull it up from the bottom. are the "two below it really set far back in? i do see that, but its not like its on the meter itself unless those are brackets that mount down below... Help! trying to get this done this weekend... and stuck...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goldwing Greg, its a 2005. sorry should have listed that. i have the visor off, windshield and front cover for that so i can see in from the front and see the top post which is rather loose in there, assuming that should be tight?) but i cannot see how to get at or remove the bottom two. the plastic housing that holds the speakers goes back in there and covers them up.
dave

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so i bought an online manual. That helped a lot. Long and short. i had to pull the front fairing off! grrr which entailed 4 other parts to come off too. :( on the plus side they will get a thorough cleaning before they go back on... lol

Ok this is a resting moment in between as i have to take stock in what all i have apart and how to get it all back again. I like the manual... "put it back together in the reverse order"... Not exactly a recipe but i guess it saves paper. (or at least digital print).

So i will begin the long arguous task of mounting the new combination meter, front Fairing and then all the other parts i have off. On lower part i would like to get off appears to have the bolts stripped on lower connection. its the lower cowling piece. I think i will order those two as well so i dont have an issue getting them off again. i might take an impact wrench to it but i have to be careful to not break the tupperware, or that will be very costly i am sure. (its spit at the thin neck already but so be it...i would like to get it off to clean it good).

if any of you have any tips on reinstalling the front fairing before i get started, i am all ears... :) Otherwise, i am back at it in a little while.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its the wing off the visor molding. its about 7 inches long and hangs off an ear on the visor down around where the rubber for the mirror and such connect. i determined that i can just set it in place for now and when the meter panel goes in place, there is a connection between it, the visor and the meter panel that will tie them together. unlike the other one that was broken, and wasnt holidng on to anything.

part number 64256-MCA-000ZA

Been slow getting back to the bike. work has been taking its toll. I am in IT so we have been scrambling to get users up and running from home with the corona virus. Spent about two hours on it tonight. got the upper Fairing back on and the visor in place but not all put back together. have to figure out the screws that hold everything. thought i had them pretty well laid out... guess not so much... :(

Once i get that back, and Maybe even Freds Dvds will have on them what i need, will see. (windshield change). Then i will be back in business for figuring things out again...too much time in between unfortunately...but at least its looking like a bike again. Will turn it on soon just to check things... Fried (actually melted) fuel gauge spindle seems to have been the issue.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Just a voice of experience, I’d change your high beam headlight bulbs while you've got the fairing off... it’ll never be easier.

👍

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally done! got the remaining parts today, put in and went for a 28 mile ride. Sweatest miles i have put on in a long time. Bike was out of commission for more than a month half of which was waiting for parts.

Gas gauge works! WooHoo!

Full tank shows for the first time in 5 years.. Only down side is now i only have 0 miles on the bike when i really have 77Kish.

Supposed to be up to 55 tomorrow. going to see if i can get some mental health social distancing and put a few miles on it... :)

dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts