GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody really do this? I just spent two hours trying it, finally gave up. Man, Mother Honda really made that difficult didn't they? :shock: I think I did the ECM procedure correctly....I think....I hope.... :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
changing air filter

eblack, While my bike was in for a recall, I think it was the ECM recall, my dealer changed the air filter for the cost of the filter, $25.00. This was at 36,000 miles and the old filter didn't need changed from the looks of it. I doubt I will ever change it again, just like I have never had the valves adjusted and probably never will. As I understand, it costs about $125.00 to change the air filter alone.

Dave

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Changing out the Air Filter is not all that tough, if you have 10% mechanical ability and 90% patience.

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
just finished mine.Although a bit time consuming,not as tough as I had imagined.
I had 28,000 miles on,and it could have gone a little further,despite the recommendation to change it every 12,000.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
If you ride in the rain a lot I would really recommend you change the air filter when called for. Off the top of my head I can't remember what the recommendation is but I can tell you mine was a mess and really wet the last time I had it done.
My mpg went up by about 2 miles per gallon after I had mine changed.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
BullDog is correct, in one sense, but comapred to other bikes it crazy! My VTX for example, I can pop the side cover and swap filters in less than one cold beer. I checked my GL1800 filter the first two intervals and finally changed-out a still mostly clean filter at the third, no performance difference. I tend to find a coffee shop if its raining really hard.

prs

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't know how dusty it is in Albuquerque. but here in southern Nevada, I don't think you'd want to go much farther than 16,000- 20,000 miles before changing the filter. I've changed mine with a few thousand on it (because of the frame recall) then at 12,000 mile intervals. 12,000 seems like overkill, but I guess that's what preventive maintenance is all about.

I've done the filter twice. It's a bear, but it can be done. Just allow yourself a lot of time. The shop manual got me through it, and I understand Fred Harmon's DVD's make the job easier.

W

·
0 Posts
If you do it yourself, besides the criuse control adjust, what other maintenance should be done?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I am on my 3rd air filter after 207,000 miles.. I ride in all kinds of weather and do a lot of dirt/gravel roads. The filter always has some green showing when I pull them out.

Pretty easy to do now. Pull up a chair, open a bottle of your favorite soda, start pulling panels.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
rkekeis said:
Yes it is unbelievable. Forgive my ignorance but what is the ECM procedure?
Me toooooo!. I am an old, new to motorcycling, person. My learning curve is sooooooo steep. What the hell is the ECM procedure???? :? Please explain. Thank you. :)

Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
WV this is from touringmotorcycles.com.........reset your ECM by starting the engine WITHOUT any throttle input and not touching the throttle at all while it runs. Once you hear the radiator fans kick in, turn off the engine and wait for a couple of seconds, then start it back up. Done - ECM is reset.
Hope that helps I have a 02 and this as I recall is what is in my manual 01-05 Wing Later O' Ya Fred H. has great DVD's I like mine THANKS Fred

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
2wing said:
WV this is from touringmotorcycles.com.........reset your ECM by starting the engine WITHOUT any throttle input and not touching the throttle at all while it runs. Once you hear the radiator fans kick in, turn off the engine and wait for a couple of seconds, then start it back up. Done - ECM is reset.
Hope that helps I have a 02 and this as I recall is what is in my manual 01-05 Wing Later O' Ya Fred H. has great DVD's I like mine THANKS Fred
Thanks 2W. I have Fred's DVD's and the Service Manual but have not come across the ECM stuff yet. As usual, I have some work to do. :roll: I appreciate you taking the time to explain. :D

Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ya ......We can all learn from ea. other :D Glad to help this is a great site Thanks 2 Hal , Bulldog ang everyone else

·
Registered
65 Posts
wvnnva said:
rkekeis said:
Yes it is unbelievable. Forgive my ignorance but what is the ECM procedure?
Me toooooo!. I am an old, new to motorcycling, person. My learning curve is sooooooo steep. What the hell is the ECM procedure???? :? Please explain. Thank you. :)

Todd
The ECM in the original context on this thread is referring to the replacement of the Electronic Control Module... the brains of the fuel injection and ignition systems.

The 2001 to the 2006 (I believe) have/had an over heating problem due to the fact the radiator fans blow the air forward, opposing the incoming air from the forward motion of the bike. At certain speeds around 15-25MPH the airflow becomes stagnant and the bikes overheated. The fans shut of around 15MPH.

This slow, low gear riding got tagged with the name “Parade Mode”. Hondas “fix” was to replace the ECM with different fuel/timing mapping when the bike was in Parade Mode. The “fix” did not fix the problem per se but did increase the time your in Parade Mode before the bike overheats. Given the right circumstances they will still overheat.

I’m not sure but I believe the 2007’s have bigger radiators.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
You winter guys have one big advantage, you have all that time when you're down for the weather and you can take your bikes apart in a relaxed fashion. I'm too busy riding. Hate to have it down. Sure as I did it I'd get a call for a ride. :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
raw said:
The ECM in the original context on this thread is referring to the replacement of the Electronic Control Module... the brains of the fuel injection and ignition systems.

The 2001 to the 2006 (I believe) have/had an over heating problem due to the fact the radiator fans blow the air forward, opposing the incoming air from the forward motion of the bike. At certain speeds around 15-25MPH the airflow becomes stagnant and the bikes overheated. The fans shut of around 15MPH.

This slow, low gear riding got tagged with the name “Parade Mode”. Hondas “fix” was to replace the ECM with different fuel/timing mapping when the bike was in Parade Mode. The “fix” did not fix the problem per se but did increase the time your in Parade Mode before the bike overheats. Given the right circumstances they will still overheat.

I’m not sure but I believe the 2007’s have bigger radiators.
Raw, another excellent explanation. Thanks, I appreciate it. The only problem now is that I don't any longer have an excuse of not knowing. :oops: :lol: :lol: Whoa, wait a minute. My next excuse could be CRS. :roll: :wink:

Todd

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is a pain to change, took me about 2 hours. How about a better design MH???? I replaced with a K & N so I won't have to do it so often. With this Oklahoma dust they don't last forever!!!

Randy
:cop2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts