GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok there must be a trick that i don't know. i had to remove the right side exhaust pipe to get a pipe wrench on the gear oil fill plug,it was frozen on and i ended up stripping it.anyway i replaced it and am having a hard time putting the pipe back on. it only goes so far but is about an inch short from lining up for the bolt and the chrome cover slots. there is a 2 " sleeve,aspestos? that fits inside the flange pipe that is not allowing me to get that extra inch i need.nothing seems to work other than what looks like i may have to cut the aspestos sleeve. any suggestions or secrets i need to know. thanks

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Put the muffler gasket on the exhaust pipe them slide muffler on. Hopefully you can get it out of the muffler.

FYI.... Don't knock the bike off of the stand trying to force the muffler on! :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Lash the center stand to the front crash guards. Just in case.

Slip the gasket onto the main pipe, get the muffler started, tap it on with a rubber hammer.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Don't cut the gasket!! Just wiggle back and forth and tap with a rubber mallet It will slide on after a few twists back and forth

·
Registered
507 Posts
You have some tabs on the chrome cover with rubber on them. The tabs slide into the tabs on the muffler

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried all of this ,spent 2 hours it will not go the extra inch with the gasket on goes right up to where it needs to be without the gasket, so i know the gasket is the problem. lashing the center stand sounds like really good advise seeing as i almost knocked it off the stand

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I tried all of this ,spent 2 hours it will not go the extra inch with the gasket on goes right up to where it needs to be without the gasket, so i know the gasket is the problem. lashing the center stand sounds like really good advise seeing as i almost knocked it off the stand
What has happened is the gasket has been cut inside, and has a ridge on it now.

You have to get it out of there, turn it around or something, or just go get a new gasket and place it on the header pipe to start with. Then get the muffler slipped over it and tap it on. Also helps to pry the muffler and clamps apart with a large screwdriver or something.

I have even gently tapped the muffler ring with a ball peen hammer to flare it a tiny bit. Generally on aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
having a hard time putting the pipe back on.
Been there. Messed around with it to no avail. Got a new set of gaskets and slipped right on. Actually I got an extra set at the same time just in case it happens again in the future.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Not asbestos, but sintered glass or some such and do wear gloves to handle it. Get the gasket OUT of the foreward piece. Throw it away as it is certianly buggered-up by now, put a new gasket on the rearward pile before trying to insert. Actually, these gaskets are one of those replace everytime things according to Honda, but we shade tree types seem to know better ;-).

prs

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
ok there must be a trick that i don't know. i had to remove the right side exhaust pipe to get a pipe wrench on the gear oil fill plug,it was frozen on and i ended up stripping it.anyway i replaced it and am having a hard time putting the pipe back on. it only goes so far but is about an inch short from lining up for the bolt and the chrome cover slots. there is a 2 " sleeve,aspestos? that fits inside the flange pipe that is not allowing me to get that extra inch i need.nothing seems to work other than what looks like i may have to cut the aspestos sleeve. any suggestions or secrets i need to know. thanks
If it came off, it will go back on, just think and take your time. :shrug:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats always been my attitude so i'll keep trying but the weather is so nice i'm getting impatient

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If you cut the muffler sleeve gasket, you must replace it :nojoke:.
This is how I do it :idea:. Go to Harbor Freight and purchase a tailpipe expander. Make sure you purchase the proper size to fit into the muffler when the tool is closed. Insert the closed tool into the muffler no deeper than the slits on the muffler receptacle pipe. Use a wrench (I use a Crescent adjustable type) and turn the center shaft of the expander tool. You will see the muffler inlet expanding. It is right when the muffler gasket will test fit into the muffler receptacle with light hand pressure. I usually coat the manifold pipe and inside of the muffler receptacle with liquid dish soap as a lubricant. Slip the gasket on the manifold pipe followed by the muffler over the gasket. If it does not slip on easily by hand, expand the muffler a little more.
I have done this many times on VTX and Wings and never needed a hammer to force a muffler on the manifold pipe.
Of course you will find this tool at most discount auto stores but it is not a rocket science tool.
Don't forget to tighten the muffler clamp bolts :joke:.
You will laugh when you see how simple a job can be done with the right tool for less than $10 :lol:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts