GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, A few years ago I upgraded my suspension with Race Tech Components and at that time removed the forks from the bike and did a complete disassembly and reassembly.
I just discovered a blown seal on the left side and cleaning with a homemade seal tool did not help.
My question is, do I have to remove the fork from the triple clamp or can I just remove the bolt at the bottom of the slider plus the clip that holds the seal in to remove the slider?
The right side is fine and I plan to leave it alone.

Pete

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Ok, A few years ago I upgraded my suspension with Race Tech Components and at that time removed the forks from the bike and did a complete disassembly and reassembly.
I just discovered a blown seal on the left side and cleaning with a homemade seal tool did not help.
My question is, do I have to remove the fork from the triple clamp or can I just remove the bolt at the bottom of the slider plus the clip that holds the seal in to remove the slider?
The right side is fine and I plan to leave it alone.

Pete
Yes, you can just remove the bolt at the bottom of the slider plus the clip that holds the seal in to remove the slider?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip. Due to CRS I wasn't sure if something else had to come apart.

Pete

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Lube the new seal and put some plastic wrap over the end of the fork when you put it on. Keeps it from getting damaged from the sharp edges. But, it's so much easier to just remove one fork at a time and build it on the bench. One at a time. It's only three more bolts per side. That way you can get all the oil out and clean as well. It's much easier to compress, put in oil, pump, and measure. That's really hard to do when the fork on the bike. Just ensure that you get them even on top.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have always done as Waldo wrote and i will add when reassembling second fork into the triple tree slide the axle in place as sometimes the tops are not even. Lyle

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lube the new seal and put some plastic wrap over the end of the fork when you put it on. Keeps it from getting damaged from the sharp edges. But, it's so much easier to just remove one fork at a time and build it on the bench. One at a time. It's only three more bolts per side. That way you can get all the oil out and clean as well. It's much easier to compress, put in oil, pump, and measure. That's really hard to do when the fork on the bike. Just ensure that you get them even on top.
I will have to dig out the instructions that came from Race Tech. I vaguely recall filling the fork with oil to some height before installing the spring rather than a certain number of cc's.

Pete

·
Registered
274 Posts
Take them both off and service both. Wash them out and check the bushings and refill with new oil and any parts that are wore. The oil level is 5" from top with forks collapsed.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the slider off. I found no obvious reason why the seal was leaking. Both seal and fork tube look fine but with new kits in hand they will get replaced. I will be removing the tubes from the forks though as I can see now there is no way to get accurate refill otherwise. I appreciate the input.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts