GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace front brake pads? I don't see a pin to remove like the older years.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Best GL mx vids available. Period.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Fred does a wonderful job.

I can help you some, he will show you and give you the tips and pointers. I remove the two hollow ALOC bolts that secure the rotor onto the wishbone frame. Take care not to damage cables and wires. Pull rotor away. Clean the slave cylinder area before pushing the pistons into the caliper with non marring wedge or brake pad spreader tool. Pry the pads out with brake tool or flat blade screw driver from lower end.

The pad sets are twins, no difference Left or Right, but each individual has a directional orientation as marked. Clean the caliper again. The pads snap into place with firm pressure and are held by spring steel retainers. The ALOC hollow bolts are reusable, but the ALOC anti vibration material may wear off and need to be replaced; I prefer Vibratite VR-2 IIRC the name. Very easy pinless design.

Do buy access to Fred's video series, you will not regret. Much better explanation than mine.

prs

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Planning next seasons maintenance and doing the research myself, It looks fairly straight forward.
The attachments should help.
Ride safe
I too would follow the steps in Honda's Service Manual.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Greg, don't you clean the caliper before compressing the pistons? Do you sell your customers the four expensive bolts every time? I think the service manual is weak in this area.

prs

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bolts are good to good for many times , if they are tight with corret torque using the correct threadlocker
Clean pistons before pushing back is a must.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Note the “arrows” on the brake pads

This is an important point to note. As for the bolts, I've talked to Honda Engineering about the requirement to replace them, and it is only because new bolts come with pre-applied thread lock on them. They are not "stretch to yield" bolts, so they can be re-used.

Be sure to check the left side inboard pad, as it seems to wear faster than the others on most bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fred, did you have a link for the brake pad spreader you used when doing the job?

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
How hard is it to replace front brake pads? I don't see a pin to remove like the older years.

A lot easier than the older wings.
If you want to use non OEM pads, just swap the backing plates off of the Honda pads. :smile2:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I am now wondering if the arrow is relevant to the brake pad iteself or just to the antisqueal backer plate. The brake pads, at first glance anyway, seem to be topsy-turvy. Might have to sit down with a divider and check for any differences in how the brake pad material sections are angled.

prs

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I am now wondering if the arrow is relevant to the brake pad iteself or just to the antisqueal backer plate. The brake pads, at first glance anyway, seem to be topsy-turvy. Might have to sit down with a divider and check for any differences in how the brake pad material sections are angled.

prs

I read somewhere its because of the rear m/c action on the front pistons. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts