GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have done the swap, here is the question....

It appears that you can remove the factory springs and replace with Traxxion Springs without draininig the oil or removing the front wheel, just by working from the top. Is this true?

I know I should replace the oil but can this be done in this way?

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
I do it when I change tires, but I guess you can collapse the forks to check the oil level with the springs out, with the wheel installed. Yes, the springs come out the top.

I change my fork oil by cheating. :oops: I suck out what I can then install fresh. Then I remove that. I waste the complete quart of fork oil during the process putting it in, working the forks and then removing it..

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
Red said:
I do it when I change tires, but I guess you can collapse the forks to check the oil level with the springs out, with the wheel installed.

I change my fork oil by cheating. :oops: I suck out what I can then install fresh. Then I remove that. I waste the complete quart of fork oil during the process putting it in, working the forks and then removing it..
This method actually makes sense.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
How much spring pressure is there with both the stock and the traxx?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, changed the left fork, but how do you get the cap off the right side?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,741 Posts
The fork cap is screwed on the damping cartridge and there is a lock nut on the bottom of the fork cap. Pull the fork cap up off of the triple tree a bit and loosen the lock nut,then unscrew the fork cap from the damping cartridge rod.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadie, Thanks! The job is done. THe pressure was only a little and I do mean a little.

Thanks to all.

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
Rinkopr said:
Thanks to all.
How much did your oil level change when you removed the OEM springs? Does Trx recommend a diffeent oil level than Honda for their springs? I'm thinking Progressive recommends 1/2" lower than stock.

TIA.....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not change much, Max's instructions state 125mm.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, first ride impressions....

The ride is firmer yet smoother than factory. One thing I did notice, my turns are a bit shallower than before. It almost seems I need to turn "harder" for the same turns before. I coudl be increadibly wrong, but if the factory springs allowed the front to "sink" and giving a sharper turn with less lean. Just wondering what I am doing worng, but believe me I like the new ride.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ddKing, thats what I was thinking. It does feel better, but I didn't know with my 265lb frame if the turning would make a difference with the stronger springs.

Gordon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts