GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avon or Metzler, what is the up and down of each of these and what would most of you go with? dont want dunlop back on the front

thanks

JB

·
Registered
683 Posts
I can not comment on Avons. Never had them. Metzs did not work for me at all. Maybe a bad set. Poor milage, not good feeling while riding. I am on my second, no, 3rd set of Stones and love them. Have a fresh set in the shed for later this year. JMHO

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can not comment on Avons. Never had them. Metzs did not work for me at all. Maybe a bad set. Poor milage, not good feeling while riding. I am on my second, no, 3rd set of Stones and love them. Have a fresh set in the shed for later this year. JMHO
Thanks, Sean, the dealer where I work has only the Avon or Metzler, but I may can order the Bridgestones, thanks for the head up, that might be another option

thanks again

JB

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
metzs are the worst i've had on my bike,stones are best on the front.the metzs i had on the back had dime size knots on it when i took it off. have not used avon's yet.stones did not last long on back so i mix mine up dunlop on rear.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, you guys have already confirmed that I dont think I want Metzlers, I just looked up Bridgestones but not sure which one of them to go with, I can order them if I want but we dont stock them, which one of the stones do most of you guys run? Do you go with radial or stay bias ? I have the dunlop on the back (tire and wheel ) that came off a 2008 model that we had triked

JB

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Avon! Period!
Ahhhh Bartman, it appears that you are firm about the Avon, so I am to assume that you have had good experience with it, as I mentioned, I have dunlop on the rear and have decide to go ahead and change the front also, it does some have miles left but I would just like to change both at the same time

thanks for your info

JB

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i had 14 rear metz. tires on my bike not one problem!!!!!!!

now this is JMHO but i believe alot of rear tire problems stem from load wts and sharp edge bumps!!!

best ft tire for the wing is the stone ft!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

now this is JMHO but i believe alot of rear tire problems stem from load wts and sharp edge bumps!!!

Thanks, YW,

appreciate the info

JB

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What stone did you run on your bike? they are a few different styles or numbers to choose from,

thanks

JB

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The 1800 is built for radial tires and I think that the Stone is a 709 front and 704 rear. At least that's what the big brown truck dropped off

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
What stone did you run on your bike? they are a few different styles or numbers to choose from,

thanks

JB
stone 709 ft

but........i had a avon "old style"on my bike for the 24 hr ride and was ok and the metz is also ok but the stone is best and alot cheaper!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 1800 is built for radial tires and I think that the Stone is a 709 front and 704 rear. At least that's what the big brown truck dropped off
Thanks Sammis

JB

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stone 709 ft

but........i had a avon "old style"on my bike for the 24 hr ride and was ok and the metz is also ok but the stone is best and alot cheaper!!!
Thanks YW

JB

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have the originals on with 9,500 miles. I am going to try and get about 16 thousand and then put on Avon cobra's. I have only read about 2000 tire forums and to me its Avon and then Bridge stones. Don't worry about the cost but what you want. I here there coming out with a tire with 3 different rubber compounds, so they will wear out at the same time. Hardest in the center, then the softest would be on the edge for cornering. Who ever comes out with one will win the market. You will get longer mileage and also traction on your turns and curves. Anybody heard anything on this?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I've heard good things from riders whose riding style matches mine about the new Avon Cobra's on the front. I really like the Stones on the front and am ok with either a stone or a metz on the rear. I personally have never had a metz on the front that didn't wobble or cup badly. The Stones seem very good on the front. They do wear quickly though. They are pretty good on the rear also. From the choices you have I think I would go Metz on the rear and the avon(if cobra's) on the front. I just have not heard anything about cobra's on the rear.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag: i just changed out my first stone 709 front tire, got a tad over 19,000 miles on it. no wobble, no cupping.:p

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I'm changing mine out at about 8k, perhaps a riding style difference:coffee1:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
My vote for "best" goes to Avon, particularly the Cobra version. I would not be disappointed to have Bridgestones, but the Avons are my first choice.

prs

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, went with the Bridgestone for the front replacement, liking it very well so far, seems to have took some of the wobble out of the bike, thanks again to all that help

JB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts