GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through the process of replacing my rear spring on my '06 and after I was finished discovered I had screwed up.

I was just looking at the old Honda spring when I noticed a recessed plate in one end of the spring which I missed when I took the spring off the shock and of course did not put it on the new spring. Now I will remove the spring off the shock again and put the plate on. But I don't know which end of the spring the plate goes on. I checked the Honda parts catalog on this site as well as the service manual and neither one of them show the plate.

Does anyone know if this plate goes on the top or the bottom of the spring?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I just went through the process of replacing my rear spring on my '06 and after I was finished discovered I had screwed up.

I was just looking at the old Honda spring when I noticed a recessed plate in one end of the spring which I missed when I took the spring off the shock and of course did not put it on the new spring. Now I will remove the spring off the shock again and put the plate on. But I don't know which end of the spring the plate goes on. I checked the Honda parts catalog on this site as well as the service manual and neither one of them show the plate.

I have a stock rear shock trike takeoff assembly on the bench and I just went out to the garage and I'm darn if i can give you an answer. There does appear to be a plate of the bottom, but on the top where the actuator hose comes in the spring is recessed and its hard to say. Sorry wish I could have been more help.

Fred

·
Registered
581 Posts
That plate goes on the end of the shock that has the U shaped bracket, which is the bottom. It covers a large washer. The only way I could be wrong about that is if the new shock and actuator that I have in my cabinet in the garage is put together wrong. I just looked.:eek:4:

P.S. Stayed in Nanaimo a few years ago and loved it there. Had a great time...love those Canadians!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gary.

I've spent the last 4 winters in Arizona (Nanaimo's not the greatest in the winter unless you like cool weather and rain). I stay in Yuma...never been to Gold Canyon but I've been to lots of places near there. A little warm there right now I'll bet.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Mike.Here is a complete shock/actuator assembly.
The "spring center" goes on the bottom of the spring to center the spring on the bottom of the shock.
The pre-loader centers the spring on the top of the shock.

·
Registered
985 Posts
shock

Rocky are you changing out the spring and fluid hose or just the springs on your change outs?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky are you changing out the spring and fluid hose or just the springs on your change outs?
I never see the need to change a hose.
I only have to open a hose if a shock pre-loader was leaking.Then only the pre-loader is changed.

Some guys only need a spring change when going to an aftermarket spring.
Some want to change out a shock due to mileage reusing their same aftermarket spring if they hae one already installed.

But most of the time I'll test the actuator fluid level before I take a shock apart to see where the presets start?? Most of the time I'll refill the actuator fluid so the presets start to labor at O.

It depends on what each customer needs or wants done at the time?.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I just reinstalled my rebuilt progressive rear shoch and spring assembly along with a new honda oem hydraulic accuator assembly, The plate goes on the bottom of the shock and the spring sets in it. I'm curious as to how the spring stayed in place if you forgot to install the plate over the shock?
Did you have the gas tank back installed when you discovered your mistake?;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts