GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the windshield is it best to remove the mirrors first for easier access to the nuts and bolts of the wind shield retainer and front facia?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I've changed several windshields on both 1500's and 1800's and never removed the mirrors. Just bend them forwards and out of the way.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Stuff the open areas in the fairing with rags, that little 10 mm nut will simply vanish forever if you drop it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kits right. I've lost many bolts in never never land. I set a big magnet under my work to try and catch the bolt when I drop it. Notice I didn't say if.

·
Vendor
18,687 Posts
I just rock the mirrors forward and not remove them.

Tip ... To push the lower front mirror rubber boot t*t back in, use soapy water and use your finger to push from the outside. It will push right in.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Kit is absolutely right!! The rag is your best friend in this case!!
I hate it when that happens!:joke:

I 'almost' dropped one of those nuts, and decided to stuff a rag in there(I thought I was better). Turns out I'm not better than I ever was, but I was better once than I ever was. Other than that it's maybe a 30 minute job if you really take your time. Definitely no need to remove the mirrors.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could not get the mirrors to go forward on my 2006 I was able to get them to go back towards the rear of the motorcycle but not forward. This didnt give me very good access. So I simply removed them and then windshield replacement was easy. I did loose one of the nuts holding on the the windshield clamp so thanks for the rag tip. I have a supply of this nuts so no problem. So the mirrors on a 2006 will push forward toward the front of the mortorcycle?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yes they will all push forward or back.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just pulled mine back. Used a rag in the holes that were opened. Watched the video 5 times. It was as easy as putting in lower headlights. I could just see what I was doing much better!

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've always removed the mirrors. I admit I've never tried to push the mirrors forward though, so I'll try that next time. Removing the mirrors is the hardest part of the job if you do remove them.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
The mirror removal line in the service manual is a sucker play, it isnt needed to change the windshield, even I have been able to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts