GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going from a dunlop 19/55 -16 sp sport ROF that just wore out around 14,000 (at 36psi), I would have gone back but did not get enough mileage out IMHO, so I decided to give the GoodYear Assurance Triple Tread (GYATT) 205/60-16 (running at 32psi), and this is a personal comparison.
On the mounting to my 2001 GL1800 I had to tie back the plastic inner fender for the dunlop, and I had tie it back even more for GYATT, but their seems to be no rubbing.
My first impression on the differences going from a 55 to 60 their does seem to be noticeable height difference. I have a 29' inseam so standing still I notice a difference, and I do not drag things on the bike so easily at slow speed due to the extra clearance of the GYATT. At slow speeds also the GYATT has an obvious tighter turn radius over the dunlop. The GYATT at slower speeds is almost telegraphic when hunting for a flatter surface and not as in command of the bike as the dunlop. The dunlope would actually wrench the bike when doing the hunt, the GYATT is more managable in the hunt.
Higher speeds. At 80 and 90mph (unless your LEO then that was a typo) this tire is unsettled with a noticeable wobble. I am a aggressive rider when I solo and so far am very very unimpressed the handling of the GYATT when getting aggressive. So far it has given me more clearance like stated have not dragged things yet, but while getting after a corner their is a wobble in the front end that has not been there before till after going to GYATT. You can feel tire flexing on corners while getting aggressive in the corners. The Dunlop on the other hand is better at trailing the front tire at higher speeds even at 90+. The Dunlop was very solid on straights and cornering period at the higher speeds.
My wife noticed right away the GYATT was smoother (less vibration) and gave a cushier ride.
I'm thinking the GYATT is going to be a better on the slabs and if I had a trailer I think this might be an excellent choice, and will be an excellent choice for 2 up.
I have taken the PSI up to 42 to see if this helps with the performance in the twisties.
If you have a GYATT and your experience differs from what I have written (and your butt hurt over me dissing your tire) tell me what you have done different (even if your not butt hurt). It is a comfy tire if you are 2 up and or your you ride like you are in no hurry.

Maybe after getting more acclimated to the GYATT my opinion may differ. I will update post at later time.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Good report. I have about 11,000 on the Kumho 195/55/16 RF. This is my first ct. I am looking for a RF 195/60/16 to add just a little taller tire, not any wider. I think it would give more clearence in the corners and correct my speedometer. What do you think. I am experimenting with mine and using it for long distance and riding in the hills, to lazy to change it out for 2 different kind of rides.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for a RF 195/60/16 to add just a little taller tire, not any wider. I think it would give more clearence in the corners and correct my speedometer.
I was thinking the same exact thing or maybe 185/60-16 rf?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Aggressive riding in the twisties on any NRF will require more air and lots of it to stiffen the sidewalls sufficently. Most run around 44 psi.

The Triple Tred will last a long time but it's not the optimum size for the 1800, IMO, and it is not a twistie tire.

I'm confused how a different size and width tire will decrease your turning radius. :shrug:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aggressive riding in the twisties on any NRF will require more air and lots of it to stiffen the sidewalls sufficently. Most run around 44 psi.

The Triple Tred will last a long time but it's not the optimum size for the 1800, IMO, and it is not a twistie tire.

I'm confused how a different size and width tire will decrease your turning radius. :shrug:

I assume trialsman that it would have to be the flexing of the side walls + clearance. With the dunlope I was digging trenches with the kuryakin highway pegs (different story different time) in order for slow speed turns. I can actually get to the air valve with out to much trouble with GYATT.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks for the report!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
As of this moment, their are no 195 60 tires in RF form. If I am wrong please point it out, I will get one. LOL
As for the RF vs. NRF, you will have to put some air in it to get the worth out of it, otherwise you are not getting the advantage and could be digging a hole for yourself. NRF tires will need to be aired up, start around 40 and adjust. Yes there is one person here who seems to think 28 pounds in a nrf is great, but that isn't the typical finding. For that matter, I didn't like 32 in the RF I had before, 34 was just about right for me. The center wore out at about 13K ish miles and I was fine with that. I liked the ride and handling and got about half again the mileage vs. a MC tire.
I am currently running the SP 5000 195 60 NRF at 40 to 41 PSI. Aside from the RF capabilities, I like the ride and the tire much better.
The wider you go, the more the tire will "search". The profile will also make a difference.

YMMV

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good to know TXREALTOR :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
After 6,000 miles on my GYTT 205 60 16 My wife and I just got back from a 1000 trip. The tire handled great with a maximum load (all saddlebags maxed, trunk rack bag filled along with the trunk, and carrying a golf club caddy for our camping gear full of tent, air mattress, pump, blankets, etc). The tire still looks like new. I'm not a twisties type of rider, so the slab DOES feel super smooth. I run between 30-34 lbs in it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Higher speeds. At 80 and 90mph (unless your LEO then that was a typo) this tire is unsettled with a noticeable wobble. I am a aggressive rider when I solo and so far am very very unimpressed the handling of the GYATT when getting aggressive. So far it has given me more clearance like stated have not dragged things yet, but while getting after a corner their is a wobble in the front end that has not been there before till after going to GYATT. You can feel tire flexing on corners while getting aggressive in the corners.

If you have a GYATT and your experience differs from what I have written (and your butt hurt over me dissing your tire) tell me what you have done different (even if your not butt hurt). It is a comfy tire if you are 2 up and or your you ride like you are in no hurry.

Maybe after getting more acclimated to the GYATT my opinion may differ. I will update post at later time.
This has not been my Experience with my Goodyear TripleTred 205/60-R16 Car tire! I have been in the triple Digit Speeds 2 Up and Solo several times and it is rock solid. Also Hot Dog the curves with Zero issues. I started with 38 PSI but am now down to 34 PSI with the wear even across the Tread at 22,000.

I am running Traxxion Full Monty, Centramatics, and G709 Front Tire at 34 PSI. Maybe this is the Difference. Tire is not even half worn,

Ron

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
As for the RF vs. NRF, you will have to put some air in it to get the worth out of it, otherwise you are not getting the advantage and could be digging a hole for yourself. NRF tires will need to be aired up, start around 40 and adjust. Yes there is one person here who seems to think 28 pounds in a nrf is great, but that isn't the typical finding.

YMMV
:agree: right on :thumbup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Balanced GYATT upped the pressure to 45psi the high speed wobble seems diminished at 90 still not as stable as dunlope RF. Did not notice wobble in twisties either. If I get 20,000 miles or better out of tire I will be satisfied with tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts