GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report on “205/60/16” Some one had to do it…

Well, not every one here wants to know what I’ve found. And of those that do they may not like what they hear. The short form is that, would I want to put some one on the back seat that I love? Naa,,,I don’t think so,,not to day. Here’s what I found. Every thing here is just my opinion, but I’ve been flying helicopters since 1976 and I’ve acquired a feel for the way thing operate. I think it makes the Wing sit a little too high and seems to have an effect on the caster for the front end, not much, but it seems like I can feel a difference. Honda did an incredible job of engendering the wing and setting the back end up another inch is in my mind going the wrong way. I can still let go of the bars but wouldn’t really think of letting my hands get to far from the grips.

The rim may also be too small for the tire and has a bit of a sloppy feel to it. I’d only be guessing but I’d say that the tire wall is floating side to side over top of the tread that’s based on the ground. Radials are designed to operate this way to enable the tread to stay flat and have more stickem power to the road. A different manufacture may have a stiffer side wall, as in light truck tires but then we’d be getting away from one of the reasons we want the car tire.

The additional circumference of the larger tire also changes the gear ration enough so that you feel you’d be beating it up if you tried to blow of that Corvette at the next stop light. But it feels like it would be great gearing for a trip to Saint Louis and back, around 1500 miles. And of cores, dose it fit? Well yes and no. It fits,,,but it would probably fit a lot better after about 3 or 4 hundred miles. It just starts to touch the front of the swing arm at around 60 miles per hour. This I presume is caused by centrifugal force expanding the tire. It would ware away and I cant see that it would create a problem unless you just happen to pick up a stone on the right hand side of the tread. The tread on the Fulken was quite soft and I don’t think it would really hurt any thing but the sound from down below might make Mom need to pull over at the next rest area. However,, with a wonderful stroke of luck I just happened to be caught in a very nice heavy down poor. The “Rain Tire“ tire did fantastic in the rain, and my buddy driving behind me loved watching the rooster tail. I’ve never ever felt so comfortable riding in the rain and actually became a little disappointed when I ran out of clouds.

Did I like the ride of the car tire. Oh yes,,,Oh yes….My new Kumo 712 will be here tomorrow…it’s a 195/50/16 and I will never ever go back to putting a Donflop on the rear end again…
.David Banks…Marathon Florida

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for the straight forward, unbiased report, David. Since you're going to a smaller size car tire, the overall concept of a car tire is good, but the 205 was just too big. Am I reading you right?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dave - I'm curious why you didn't get something in the 195/55 size?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just in case anyone was curious, I put together the following chart for easy comparison.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions Speedometer Odometer Difference
180/60-16.....4.3"......12.3"....24.5".......77.0"..............823/mi........60MPH..........10000mi......N/A
180/70-16.....5.0"......13.0"....25.9".......81.4"..............778/mi........57MPH............9453mi......5.8%
195/55-16.....4.2"......12.2"....24.4".......76.8"..............825/mi........60MPH..........10024mi......-0.2%
205/50-16.....4.0"......12.0"....24.1".......75.6"..............838/mi........61MPH..........10180mi......-1.8%
205/55-16.....4.4"......12.4"....24.9".......78.2"..............811/mi........59MPH............9850mi......1.5%
205/60-16.....4.8"......12.8"....25.7".......80.7"..............785/mi........57MPH............9540mi......4.8%
195/50-16.....3.8"......11.8"....23.7".......74.4"..............852/mi........62MPH..........10349mi......-3.4%

All results are suspect until proven.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the report. It was a very well done thing with all of the questions I had answered. I wish we had similar reports on every tire size. 1 report, 1 size just like this was done. Again, Thank you!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm smart enough to create that chart on my own. Go to http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi and type in any size tire you want, or several different sizes, it will give the results in the format you see above.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
205/60/16

I really like the gearing that the 205 gives....I havent taken it off yet. I'm going to investigate buliding a wheel that will hold a 205 and have a smaller side wall. Something like an 18 inch wheel that bolts up to the wing rear end. Then lower the shock and see how things feel. This will take a little time but I have a passion that I need to fill. The other option is to change the Hypoid Bevel gear and thats not easy...and honda has allready done such a great job on that componet that I think it should be left alone. I'm going to install a 195 / 50 /16 to day and see how it feels...The gear ration is much lower but the side wall is short and should make things feel much more predictabel. But as goofy as it sounds I havent tossed out the idea of a light truck tire yet eather. The side walls are much stronger and may give the stiffnes that is needed and still have a smoth ride. My buddy down the street has a tire store so I'll just keep going through his old tires till I find what works. He laso lets me use his tire machine. Thanks for this web site,,,

Davehttp://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi and [/quote]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts