GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opinion
The good: 195/55 -16 dunlop SP sport rf is a good tire, handling is good and sure footed. Good wet and dry traction, the rear tire NEVER felt unstable at any time while under hard acceleration and extreme hard braking while practicing from 60mph. Very smooth for a ride rider and passenger.

The Bad: I only got 14,000 miles out of the tire. I ran 36psi if I were to go back to this of tire I would only run it at around 30psi the center of the tire wore first. I am a semi aggressive ( my wife rides with me most of the time I don't like to make her nervous).When I mounted it on the bike I did have to deflate in order to mount the tire, then had to tire wrap the plenum box in order to stop it from rubbing.

I do not think I will use this tire again for the fact I did Not get enough mileage out of it.

Have had good luck with the Goodyear assurance triple tread on Toyota Camry. Am checking prices right now.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Question .....What was your average milage out of bike tires ?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yep, 36 is, generally, too much air for a RF.

The Triple Tred is only available down to a 205-55, last I checked. In other words, the tire will be even a tighter fit and will handle slightly different, especially near stop signs on wavy roads.

When mounting, have you tried any of the several ways to allow the tire into the wheel well without deflating? Lubing the inner fender and wax paper are a couple of ways.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Try the Michelin Alpin Primacy. I have 10K on mine, running 32 psi and it still almost looks new.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks for the write up.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question .....What was your average milage out of bike tires ?
I have a 2001 GL1800 just picked it up this February. It only had 17,000 on odometer. the original Bridgstone was literally disintegrating on the wheel so I assume it was the original. I changed to the Dunlop at the 18,000.

osduck5 "Try the Michelin Alpin Primacy. I have 10K on mine, running 32 psi and it still almost looks new."

I have a fellow GWRRA darksider that has one now on his bike. He so far is not impressed, he has stated it feels unsettled on the twisties (aggressive rider)

Trialsman "When mounting, have you tried any of the several ways to allow the tire into the wheel well without deflating? Lubing the inner fender and wax paper are a couple of ways."

This is good to know. I know the talk on most 195/55 16 go right in no deflating needed and no rubbing either, no ties needed. That was not the case with this RF. I think Murgie had one of these dunlops on his bike recently when I went to darkside, but murgie has changed just recently.
Are there any good reports about the triple tread besides mind boggling mileage. How do they do in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You have to remember it was 14,000 safe ,trouble free miles..I would have been more than happy...I only got 8000 out of my stock tires so if I get 8001 miles on my RF I will be ahead of the game..Just my 2 cents but I think I would be a little careful putting on one of these hard compounded tires for higher mileage...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts