GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are taking a spontaneous week long trip to CO, leaving this week from Des Moines, IA.
I'm seeking advice on a condo or place with some nice evening entertainment and perhaps a hot tub that we could stay 2 or 3 days with great riding during the day ($100 - 140 per day). Coming in from Des Moines we'd like to start in North Central or North East, CO, then moving south as the week goes on. We're definitely interested in the Durango, SW area, but don't know that we'll make it this year.
Also looking for favorite rides in the area. We have no issue with riding all day, but we're not in a hurry and want to enjoy it. I'm reading thru this site but wanted to seek current ideas.
We're not interested in staying in the large metropolitan areas.

Thanks in advance!
Tracy J

·
Registered
11 Posts
We were up there in July, stayed at a couple motels in Ft. Collins. Fun ride up through Estes Park & beyond. Back to Ft. Collins at night, staying downtown easy walking to bars & restaurants.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I like staying in Idaho Springs... there's some cheap motels there ($50) and it's a central location to Estes Park and a lot of other good locations.

·
Registered
166 Posts
fairplay. decent and very cheap place to stay. good people and central to northern co.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate your assistance.
Now... if the weather will hold for us, it's all good!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Tracy --
You will need two days out and two days coming back from DM. Estes Park is your best option, tons of motels in the area, we like the Saddle and Surrey, it's where many of the locals recommend. You need to do Trail Ridge to Grand Lake and then simply around after lunch and return to Estes. The other highly recommended ride would be the Poudre Canyon via Big Thompson with lunch in Walden. Just hanging out in Rocky Mtn National Park is a great day, so beautiful.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I like staying in Idaho Springs... there's some cheap motels there ($50) and it's a central location to Estes Park and a lot of other good locations.
AlexB I like the way you think. Just be aware that it is about 75 miles and a 2 hour ride each way from Idaho Springs to Estes Park on the Peak-to-peak highway. If you go by way of Burthound Pass and Grand Lake it is 115 miles and 3-4 hours each way. Makes for a great day in the mountains to make a loop of it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
walden is fantastic dining and the peak to peak is a nice ride. also recommend walden to centenial then back over medicine bow national forest

·
Registered
957 Posts
Tracy --
You will need two days out and two days coming back from DM. Estes Park is your best option, tons of motels in the area, we like the Saddle and Surrey, it's where many of the locals recommend. You need to do Trail Ridge to Grand Lake and then simply around after lunch and return to Estes. The other highly recommended ride would be the Poudre Canyon via Big Thompson with lunch in Walden. Just hanging out in Rocky Mtn National Park is a great day, so beautiful.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
walden is fantastic dining and the peak to peak is a nice ride. also recommend walden to centenial then back over medicine bow national forest
oh, you obviously mean Centennial, WY, not Centennial, CO...took me a while figure this out since I wasn't aware there was a town in WY with this name.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was in Estes Park this past week but we took the truck. As we were driving on 34 between Loveland and Estes Park, I thought about how much I would love to ride this road on my Wing. Lots of twisteis and beautiful scenery. We stayed at a cabin next to a river for $165- a night, but there are lots of other hotels and places to stay in Estes.

Estes is definitely worth a day or two of your trip. There is a down town area with lots of shops and restaurants and parking is available. I have a lot of information about Estes. If you want more information PM me and I'll go through it with you.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
We went all over Colorado about 4 years ago--it is all good. The only exception was that it was HOT in the Grand Junction area-will not go back there a second time. Other parts of Colorado are prettier and cooler.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have fun on your trip to Colorado !! My daughter and I did this trip two years ago and we both loved it. The scenery is awesome and one of a kind. One thing we found out is that you will not be able to do everything or get to everywhere you want to. We did make it to Estes and RMNP and down thru Denver to Colorado Springs and the Royal Gorge before we ran out of time. My wife and I plan on heading back there next year to see more of Colorado. I can see myself going back to CO many times just to see all of the sights.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Estes Park is one of our favorite places to visit, try to do it at least once a year. RMNP is a must. Usually ride to the visitors center on top and then come back to Estes. Go into the Moraine area of the park early evening to watch the elk, however there are a lot of them right in town anymore. Many places to stay in and around Estes. Big Thompson Canyon from Loveland to Estes is one if the great rides and awesome scenery. Enjoy your trip, you will have places to go back and see next time as you won't be able to do it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts