GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question a short time ago about different suppliers of film for covering the clear dash plastic. If anyone has placed a protective film cover on their dash lens please post a photo of the finished product as well as the supplier. THANKS!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased a 6” wide roll of clear 3M...made a pattern out of pieces of poster board...traced the pattern on the paper backing of the clear vinyl....sprayed some windex on the dash....and squeegeed it on. I use it to write route #s on with fluorescent dry markers. Looks as good as new still.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I will post tomorrow in daylight

I applied the Suntek Ultra Gloss film

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
167 Posts
…. If anyone has placed a protective film cover on their dash lens please post a photo of the finished product as well as the supplier. THANKS!
virginiawing, Great idea, I'd be interested in this also.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
How will this film protect your headlight from a rock or other object when going down the highway as opposed to the Show Chrome Headlight protector?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tankslapper
Thank you for posting those photos. Looks great! Can you explain how this is installed? Wet, dry, on bike, etc. I appreciate your input.

Can you advise if this is the Tankslapper product as they sell other products for the dash as well. I have atrached a pic of their ordering page.

I plan on buying a new clear plastic dash and the covering it before installation. I have tried everything to get the very small swirls out of my dash. I am always very careful and beyond anal on things like dash lendes and assume they were induced during prep. Oh well, I would rather fix the problem and move on instead of staring at it on every ride. I know, its just a dash but I have a sickness. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Thank you for posting those photos. Looks great! I plan on buying a new clear plastic dash and the covering it before installation. I have tried everything to get the very small swirls out of my dash. I am always very careful and beyond anal on things like dash lendes and assume they were induced during prep. Oh well, I would rather fix the problem and move on instead of staring at it on every ride. I know, its just a dash but I have a sickness. Lol
I'm the same way. I can't stand looking at a dash panel that has scratches... and nobody has taken better care of this dash panel then me. I've only used soapy water when washing the bike and used Plexus with new micro cloths to clean the dash panel. You simply can not clean this dash panel without putting faint scratches in the plastic dash panel....it will happen to every bike. The dash looks gorgeous most of the time....but let the sun get behind you and shine on the dash and it looks like crap. The only real fix is for Honda to change the dash panel to a higher quality material.

I've already bought a new dash panel and will appiy the film on it before installing it on my bike when I get around to tearing the bike apart.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm the same way. I can't stand looking at a dash panel that has scratches... and nobody has taken better care of this dash panel then me. I've only used soapy water when washing the bike and used Plexus with new micro cloths to clean the dash panel. You simply can not clean this dash panel without putting faint scratches in the plastic dash panel....it will happen to every bike. The dash looks gorgeous most of the time....but let the sun get behind you and shine on the dash and it looks like crap. The only real fix is for Honda to change the dash panel to a higher quality material.

I've already bought a new dash panel and will appiy the film on it before installing it on my bike when I get around to tearing the bike apart.
Do you possibly have the part number and source if you do not mind? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Do you possibly have the part number and source if you do not mind? Thanks!
I looked at online sources like in the link below, but with shipping it was nearly the same as my local dealer, so I went with my dealer...plus if you buy from your dealer you can inspect the panel to make sure its not scratched and if it is the dealer will send it back and get another one. The new panel came in only a plastic bag. I was surprised that it was packed so lightly, I thought it would had been padded a bit more to protect the panel.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...0&d=2018 GOLD WING TOUR GL1800AC INSTRUMENTS

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
How will this film protect your headlight from a rock or other object when going down the highway as opposed to the Show Chrome Headlight protector?

It probably wont. I just wanted the instrument dash film and it came with film for the headlights and blinkers

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Suntech Ultra Gloss. Water solution with 2 drops of Dawn per 1 ounce

Spray on plastic--spray on both sides of film--squeegee bubbles from middle outward

Easy peasy

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Suntech Ultra Gloss. Water solution with 2 drops of Dawn per 1 ounce

Spray on plastic--spray on both sides of film--squeegee bubbles from middle outward

Easy peasy
Were you able to push the edges of the film under the grey trim any to hide the edges of the film? Looks very nice in your pictures. I wonder if the film will hide the faint scratches that are seen with the sun behind you and shining on the dash.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
The film does not fit under any edges. I am uber picky about my bike. If you have an interest in the product check the site out. If you need to communicate with Tankslapper I have found email communication works best

·
Registered
175 Posts
Film went on smooth, no bubbles. Squeegeeing, used baby shampoo solution. Forget about the headlight film. Gotta be doing that job everyday. Gauges easy, headlight, signals, not so easy. Just do it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thank you for posting those photos. Looks great! Can you explain how this is installed? Wet, dry, on bike, etc. I appreciate your input.

Can you advise if this is the Tankslapper product as they sell other products for the dash as well. I have atrached a pic of their ordering page.

I plan on buying a new clear plastic dash and the covering it before installation. I have tried everything to get the very small swirls out of my dash. I am always very careful and beyond anal on things like dash lendes and assume they were induced during prep. Oh well, I would rather fix the problem and move on instead of staring at it on every ride. I know, its just a dash but I have a sickness. Lol
Yes, that is the page! I ordered the Xpel Ultimate. It is the most popular film among the high end installers, in my city. I am thrilled with the results! The dash is perfect but impossible to see with a photo! It’s damned near invisible!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with Wheelman38, the gauge protector goes on easy, I got the signal protectors on with a little patients , but the headlight cover I’m still trying to figure out. First attempt, didn’t go well, ended up pulling the film off and saving it for another day. I bought the Tankslapper film for the gauge protection, and it was well worth the $. Mine looks just like Lean’s pictures above...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts