GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to load my GL-1800 aboard a trailer and haul it several hundred miles for 8 days. I am interested in any advice regarding protecting it from the elements ( it will be on an open trailer) and any other pieces of advice.
Has anyone resorted to securing a piece of plastic around the radio controls , etc, to protect from rain, etc???
I have already printed out the Tulsa tie down advice. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Cushman

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hello Bob,
Personally, I wouldn't cover it. Whatever you'd use would probably beat against it & scuff the paint.
It's a motorcycle & built to withstand the elements. Should be fine.
JMO.
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Wax it, coat windshield with Plexus, cover and fasten cotton sheet {tape the sheet} snug and cover with good waterproof cover, I will use a Dowco! I haven't trailered mine on a trip but this is what I've planned to do. Let us know what you did and how it worked out!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nothing wrong with breadsacks or plastic bags around the Elect/Controls, etc., just be sure nothing is Flapping in the Wind. Use Duct tape, etc to control the loose stuff. Make sure the ends of tie-down straps are secure so they don't flap against the brightwork or paint. I would securely mount a shield of some sort in front of the bike on the trailer (such as plywood, etc) to deflect road sand and gravel kicked up from your car tires.

Dont try to tarp it..and lock it down good including your trailer at Motels, park close to a ground floor room if possible. A good friend lost a trailer full of quads in Yuma a few years ago at a good hiway hotel. Never got them back.

That's all I can think of. I trailer mine a lot behind a small Motorhome en-route to our Colorado and NM Destinations to camp/ride. Good luck

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Make sure the bags, doors lids etc are secure. Do not leave the keys in it. Don't cover it, till you are settled in for the day. Make sure that you have a spare tire, jack and lug wrench for the trailer.

Enjoy yourself and don't over plan.

Bulldog

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just be sure its tied in good. I'm sure you don't cover anything if you ride it 800 miles. Why worry about hauling it. Don't cover anything. Make sure the straps don't rub anything. Don't let the strap ends flap in the wind. They will damage the paint.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Please cover all the Honda or Goldwing badging with another bike's. We don't want to be bunched in with certain other brands.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Load it an haul it. Unless you are traveling much faster than you ride.......not sure what the differance is. As far as the radio...............it's made for the elements.
Hauled mine 1000 miles.....twice.........and all it needed was to get off the trailer and ride.
Just tie it down securely.....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hauling wing

I had a trailer and hauled the wing one time. After that experience I sold the trailer.

As noted above don't let anything flap or rub on the bike's plastic. I didn't cover the bike and except for a wasp that somehow got up into my speedometer nothing bad happened. Depending on the type of trailer you have it can be a little difficult to load and unload an 800+ pound bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks to all who posted replies. I appreciate your input. I will let you know how it turned out.

Bob Cushman

:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
This might be a dumb question but what do you put around the controls and electronics when your riding in the rain? Just throw it on the trailer and go! I towed mine to Florida and it rained about 50% of the way! I just cleaned her up when I got there!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Covers are a pain in the ass. Unless they are secured perfectly they will most likely cause rub marks on the painted surfaces. Just use a trailer that has a "salt shield" attached to the front of it. This is nothing more than some plywood across the front of the trailer about 30 inches high. This will prevent all the road debris from kicking up from your rear tires onto the bike.

·
Registered
552 Posts
bobcushman said:
I am interested in any advice regarding protecting it from the elements ( it will be on an open trailer) and any other pieces of advice.
Heaven forbid you ever get caught with your wing on a trailer. The citizens of wingerville would be greatly offended :roll:

If you're worried about the elements, get yourself a geza cover http://www.gezagear.com

These covers are made of diving suit material, and are skin tight when covering the bike. You can do about 100 mph and the cover will not blow off. They work very well... :yes1:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ispedbyu said:
Use Duct tape, etc to control the loose stuff.
The ONLY tape that I would use is GAFFING TAPE. I've used duct tape, masking tape, packaging tape, etc. and always end up with sticky residue left on the surface. Gaffing tape will hold solid until you want to remove it and it doesn't leave a residue on the surface.

I started using gaffing tape when I began working with sound & video setup at my church. I use it to hold down audio, video and electrical cables for neat appearance and safety reasons. I'm always impressed how well it holds. If it sticks to itself, you might as well throw the piece away because you can't separate it. It's not cheap but it's the best stuff that I've ever used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We have hauled our GL1800 numerous times on an open trailer to the rallies all over the country. My advise is to buy a wheel chock from cycle care. This allows the bike to be loaded easily and use triple tree straps in the front and around the passenger seat handles. We used the cargobuckle wratchets and can be purchased on line @ cargobuckle .com. One very important thing to remember is to be sure your transmission is in nuetral with the side stand in the up position. Our bike hauls very easy......and as far as the elements go........its about the same as if you were riding the bike. Another word of advuce is to stop and re-check your wratchet straps after the first 40 miles or so. They have a tendency to stretch especially if they get wet. Just some tips from my personal experience. I hope this will be of some help.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
pegasus said:
We have hauled our GL1800 numerous times on an open trailer to the rallies all over the country. My advise is to buy a wheel chock from cycle care. This allows the bike to be loaded easily and use triple tree straps in the front and around the passenger seat handles. We used the cargobuckle wratchets and can be purchased on line @ cargobuckle .com. One very important thing to remember is to be sure your transmission is in nuetral with the side stand in the up position. Our bike hauls very easy......and as far as the elements go........its about the same as if you were riding the bike. Another word of advuce is to stop and re-check your wratchet straps after the first 40 miles or so. They have a tendency to stretch especially if they get wet. Just some tips from my personal experience. I hope this will be of some help.
You haul your Wing to rallies? :roll:
You'd fit right in with some other motorcycle "owners".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Explanation

Ok Ok
If it were up to me , I would not be using a trailer..........
My wife is not a die hard biker and it was either leave the bike at home or trailer it to the Great Smokies and get some seat time in North Carolina.
Maybe some day she will be more "enthusiastic" ????????

Bob
:?

·
Registered
56 Posts
trialsman said:
pegasus said:
You haul your Wing to rallies? :roll:
You'd fit right in with some other motorcycle "owners".
Actually I do........but I have 107,000 miles on my 01 wing...........so we do ride just a little

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Okay, that explains it :wink:

My bride is the same way. When I competed in the Top Gun at Wing Ding in Nashville last summer it was raining for the trip up and back. She wanted to watch but didn't want to ride that far in the rain, so, on the trailer it went.

Embarassing but we do these things for that special someone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts