GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a local mom and pop GW shop lat week. I was asking about bringing in my own tires and what they charged to mount and balance if folks carry in the wheels, or drive the bike in and they pull the wheels, etc.

Anyway, he informed me that one of the largest M/C stores in our area has enacted a policy that they will no longer allow people to buy their tires elsewhere and carry in for the install. He also said that if the DOT notifies him, his shop will adopt the same policy. He said this practice is starting to spread throughout our area in Southern Calif.

I was wondering if anyone in other states, or even other parts of Calif have dealt with this? I will be seriously considering the No-Mar changer if this becomes SOP. Also in regards to the No-Mar; if anyone in the Inland Empire of So Cal is interested in going in on one together, PM me. We might be able to make it happen.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Up here in norther Ca. our mechanic has no problem installing walk-ins. He just has a problem installing a car tire on motorcycle rim. If you tell him the rim is going to be installed on a trailer he writes it on the work order to protect his but. I think a lot of places just want or need the extra profit to stay in business. You understand how our gov. is looking to squeeze every last penny from us.:nojoke:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I just had a new set installed and this time I bought from my tire installer. (Road Rider) Their price was $20 more than where I normally buy. (WingStuff) I can do it either way, and sor far, they don't mind. If asked aboout the tires, I tell them I won the set (or bought from a friend that won) I've heard some installers charge a little extra for not buying the tires from them, but ,so far, no problems here in Northern California.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a shop here in Central Oklahoma that refused to change one for me. The service manager told me he would be liable for the tire and because they didn't sell it, he wouldn't change it. I bought the tire from a store that went out of business and had already sold thier changing machine.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I take my Wing to a local shop in Van Nuys, CA, where I have gone since I drove (and totaled) sport bikes and no issue with buying tires elsewhere. Jeff even said he'd mount a car tire on the rear but he thinks it a crazy thing to do.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
This not changing a tire from other stores is all hogwash. There is no liability issue involved in this. They just wanted your money for the tire.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
There's a famous Steak House out here Called Ruth's Chris Steak house. Their steak is WAY over priced. So I pick one up at Safeway and have them cook it. Never could quite understand the friction it causes. I just don't want to pay their price for steak, so I bring my own. It saves me money.:shrug:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The local Harley Dealer has a big sign that says "We only install motorcycles that are purchased here". The lady owner claims that it's some sort of liability.

I have a No-Mar changer and change a lot of bike tires. Every now and then we get a bad tire. Funny how the customer wants to make ME responsible for a tire that THEY brought to me. Then they get mad as hell when I want to charge them to change the replacement tire again.

Then there's the guy that shows up with a ten year old tire, complete with weather-cracks and wants me to mount this "perfectly good tire".

Or the guy that's on his third tire and won't replace the tube.

Maybe these are some of the reasons that some shops won't deal with tires that they don't sell.

:shrug:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Idiots!
It has nothing to do with liability.
YOU slapped them in the face.
THEY are slapping back.
Plain and simple.

·
Banned
350 Posts
There's a famous Steak House out here Called Ruth's Chris Steak house. Their steak is WAY over priced. So I pick one up at Safeway and have them cook it. Never could quite understand the friction it causes. I just don't want to pay their price for steak, so I bring my own. It saves me money.:shrug:
Your point made via sarcasm is a good one but the analog is flawed. You are right; Ruth's Chris is over priced but the comparison to a tire changer is flawed. Ruth's Chris controls the cut and aging of the product closely and this has a material effect on the outcome. I doubt your Safeway (at least mine - which is Vons) carries USDA Prime (Mine carries USDA Choice) so the end product is not the same. In the tire example the product is identical and the installer cannot have an impact on the quality of the item, only its installation. This is different from the steak example.

Nonetheless you make a good point. I have never argued price with a man willing to fix my motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
no idiot, they still make money on the labor charge. what part of that don't you understand. They just want to make a larger profit on the sale of the tire. Nothing wrong with that, it's just tacky that they won't own up to their reasons and come up with a spurious reason instead.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Not so much a slap in the face; they are in business to make money and the more the better. They should be up front about it and just tell ya the truth, we don't WANT to install tires from other sources. That is fair enough. If its just "liability" or such; they could charge enough extra to cover their risk.

prs

Old Guy beat to the punch by 3 minutes!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cant believe that business is so good they would turn away money.. I would find someone who wants my money. And Ruth's Chris's steaks are worth every penny.LOL

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You just never know til you ask. I got tires mounted at the local Discount Tire store (both for about $20.00, walk in, off the bike).

Recently, I was in the same store and the new kid manager was adamant that they will not now and never have mounted m/c tires. I invited him to check my account in his computer records and he declined. :shrug:

When it's time to change them again, I'll stop in and ask. You just never know.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Steaks are a luxury. There are a lot of steak houses and none of them charge extra for cooking it. You can go just about anywhere and get a steak or you can choose a butcher shop get a custom cut and cook it at home yourself, no special tools needed. Tires are a horse of a very different color.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Your point made via sarcasm is a good one but the analog is flawed. You are right; Ruth's Chris is over priced but the comparison to a tire changer is flawed. Ruth's Chris controls the cut and aging of the product closely and this has a material effect on the outcome. I doubt your Safeway (at least mine - which is Vons) carries USDA Prime (Mine carries USDA Choice) so the end product is not the same. In the tire example the product is identical and the installer cannot have an impact on the quality of the item, only its installation. This is different from the steak example.

Nonetheless you make a good point. I have never argued price with a man willing to fix my motorcycle.
:agree:

What he said...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Steaks are a luxury. There are a lot of steak houses and none of them charge extra for cooking it. You can go just about anywhere and get a steak or you can choose a butcher shop get a custom cut and cook it at home yourself, no special tools needed. Tires are a horse of a very different color.
Sure are. Steaks are a red luxury, tires are mostly black and for most folks, motorcycles (including the tires) are luxuries.

And really on the point, business is business. They are (and should be) free to run their's any way they chose.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
A friend on mine uses one of these to change my tires.

He only charges $10 and it doesn't matter whether it's a tube/tubeless/BMT tire.
He says $10 is $10.

What Nedro doesn't seem to grasp is "Greed".The shops can still make money on tire changes if they want to through labor.But use the "Liability" excuse to dig deeper in your pockets,so they can charge you extra for the tire.
Profit is one thing,but Greed is yet another!:eek:4:

I guess they don't understand that a "Fast nickle is better than a slow Dime". :shrug:

Even Discount tire will mount any tire you carry in to have swapped out.Bike dealers are closing there doors because of their Policies.Yeah that makes real good business sense.
I guess they Slapped themselves in the face to spite their nose.:nojoke:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rocky, that is one bad ass tire changer! What does one of those cost?

A friend on mine uses one of these to change my tires.

He only charges $10 and it doesn't matter whether it's a tube/tubeless/BMT tire.
He says $10 is $10.

What Nedro doesn't seem to grasp is "Greed".The shops can still make money on tire changes if they want to through labor.But use the "Liability" excuse to dig deeper in your pockets,so they can charge you extra for the tire.
Profit is one thing,but Greed is yet another!:eek:4:

I guess they don't understand that a "Fast nickle is better than a slow Dime". :shrug:

Even Discount tire will mount any tire you carry in to have swapped out.Bike dealers are closing there doors because of their Policies.Yeah that makes real good business sense.
I guess they Slapped themselves in the face to spite their nose.:nojoke:

·
Registered
297 Posts
no surprise..

I completely understand a shops hesitancy to install a customers "carry in" tires. Liability isnt it as much as profit. And the PITA factor. The tire store sells TIRES and makes a profit from selling Tires. I had a shop install my car tire for my wing and he charged me 8 bucks. I am certain that 8 dollars to take old tire off and put new tire on is not going to make this guy rich unless he can do about 200 a day. The profit is in selling the tire. We all want someone to install our tire that is competent. Employing a competent tire installer costs money and I promise you most shops dont make money on the tire machine.. The pita factor is that carry in customers often expect all the same benefits as the customer that purchases tires.
I fully expect to be charged a fair rate for services given and in the case of the 8 dollar install I tipped the man that installed it 10 bucks. I think that 20 or even 30 bucks isnt unfair for what this guy did for me. A job that I was unwilling and ill equipped to do myself..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts