GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I have very limited electrical knowledge, I have a question about reregistering the OEM TPMS sensors. What is the reason for shorting out the red connector located under the seat? Does this zero out ( or reset) the sensors? I am confused about this step of the process? Not surprising, for those who know me. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
i assume you want to run a car tire. Take a paper clip (after you get your nerve up:joke:) short out the clip, there is a flashing sequence on the tpms idiot light you follow. Herb parson hparsons has a good write up on this.

take the $100 programming tool, you will have beg borrow or buy one, do the rear tire first, then the front. works easy peasy, hardest part is taking the seat off:evil:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
In order to get the TPMS receiver to learn the new wheel sensors (or to reverse learn existing sensors... :cool: ) you need to put it into "Registration" mode. To get the system into that mode you must use the shorting plug. Think of it as a "switch" or button that allows you to pick the right mode only it is two wires that need to be joined together in a particular order to having the ignition on/off and the bike having been recently ridden or not. For "Registration" mode you need to turn the ignition on and then short the connector within 15 seconds. There are other modes you can place the receiver into (i.e., inspection and diagnosis) by following other combinations of ignition on/off, shorting, and riding steps.

(You need to have the wheel sensors in "test" mode as well. When in "test" mode the wheel sensors will transmit their signal in 20 second intervals which is very important as they don't transmit at all in "parking" mode and only transmit in 1 minute intervals when in "riding" mode. To set them in "test" mode they need to be at 50.1 psi or higher for at least 1 minute.)

Once your all done, you want to remove the sensors from "test" mode to keep from running the batteries down. The get them out of "test" mode, reduce tire pressure to normal levels and go for a ride that gets the bike over 9mph for at least 4 minutes and 20 seconds. That will put the sensors into "riding" mode and they will act normal and resume "parking" mode when the bike is still for 7 minutes.

Because I have very limited electrical knowledge, I have a question about reregistering the OEM TPMS sensors. What is the reason for shorting out the red connector located under the seat? Does this zero out ( or reset) the sensors? I am confused about this step of the process? Not surprising, for those who know me. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question

When you insert the prong or paper clip into the connector to short it out, do you leave it in for the entire reregistering process, or do you remove it after a short period of time? Thank you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disregard question

Disregard the question about how long to leave the paper clip in the connector. I found the answer in one of Fred's posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts