GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently found this web site. I have been a long time rider of other brands and makes and styles of bikes. My most recent bike was a Concours. I sold my beloved Concours November last year with the plan to get a new bike this past spring. Well lots of things came up and derailed the plan so I am left bikeless.

I really don't think I need a bike as big as the Goldwing, but I want the toys that I can get on the GW. I just wish that Honda or someone would make a GW Lite version. Since that isn't in the cards I have been looking at a variety of bikes from the 650 Burgman, waiting for more information about the new Concours, and the GW. Some recent reports of an issue I feel is unacceptable with the Burgman has moved it to the questionable list. The GW now is a front runner in my bike list. The rub is that I always end up buying all the stuff to make my riding more comfortable, more luggage carrying ability, and more GW like... So I am asking myself why not just look at the wing.

I have a buddy who came out to Colorado from Indiana to ride and he had upgraded to a GW. He absolutely loves his bike, and I have to admit I had never ever considered a GW... But after he was able to hang in there and ride the twisties and some of the tough riding with a smile on his face my attitude started to change. So now I am investigating more seriously the GW as a possibility.

So with all of that endless rambling said... I have recently moved to CA and the mild weather has me considering getting a bike. Probably this spring time frame. Bikes get to use the HOV lanes here, and are legally allowed to split lanes. The traffic is just insane so these two advantages are quite big and make the argument even more compelling to get a bike. So far winter weather where I live consists of rain. How is the GW for riding in the rain and does it offer good protection for this type of riding? Secondly the GW is massive. Does anyone out here in CA have issues splitting lanes with this very large bike? Lastly, How do you guys with long inseams fit these bikes? I sat on my buddies, but my knees were jammed into the fairing and motor. My inseam is 36". Am I going to be able to get this bike to fit me?

Any insight, thoughts, or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Any pros or cons to getting a previously loved bike instead of buying new? Thanks.

Longsnowsm

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I can't address you specific questions, as I have short legs and don't lane split.

But I will say this. I'm a sport bike rider at heart. I roadraced in the early to mid 1980's, and still like fast bikes. I thought I would never own a Goldwing, and still would not likely own one as my only bike. But my wife got hooked on riding with me, and there is no better two-up bike.

But here is the outcome. I still ride my FJR whenever I'm alone, but I do ride the Goldwing a lot, and even ride it some by myself. It's an amazingly competent bike, and you'll find it handles much better than you would imagine.

From what you have described about your habits, I think it might be a good fit for you - if it fits!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Having ridden in the rain quite a bit on the GL1800, I would have to say that it is remarkably stable compared to many other smaller, lighter bikes. It has the power to break traction, but remains fairly stable even while turning the back wheel.

I have not lane split, it's not legal here in Texas. I don't doubt that I would lane split at times, if it were legal, and feel I would be comfortable doing it on the wing.

I don't have a 36" inseam, probably more like a 32" or 33" even though I am 6' 3". With a little "adjustment" to the seat you can easily gain one to two inches from your butt to the faring. Here's a link to a post maintained by DDKing on getting comfortable on the wing. http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=160917#160917

If you have a chance take a wing for a longer ride +200miles, this is where the wing shines, IMHO. If you are planning on riding the twisties, with friends, and really plan nothing more then a day trip, the wing may not be exactly the right bike. It is all in how you plan to use it, the right tool for each job sorta deal.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Longsnowsm said:
Lastly, How do you guys with long inseams fit these bikes? I sat on my buddies, but my knees were jammed into the fairing and motor. My inseam is 36"
That is a solveable problem. A new seat can move you into a much better position. I only have a 33" inseam and the stock 1800 is too cramped for me. I've tried four different seats other than stock:

Corbin: could ride for 20 minutes.

Wingsoft: Much better. If it had been the first new seat I tried, I might have stayed with it. But other seats moved me up and back farther and felt much better.

Diamond/Hartco Big Boy: Much better. You have to work with the maker to make sure you don't just get the regular Big Boy. I recut mine myself to move me back farther. I wanted higher as well and could never get that right.

Russell Day Long: Solved most of my problems. They are located in California and offer ride in services. I don't think you could go wrong with them.

There are other things that will also help such as pegs, handlebar risers, etc. You can check them out by taking the link in my signature.

You can make the 1800 work for you. Don't let your size stop you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMHO Goldwings offer outstanding handling and performance, probably the best in their class. That said, I'm 6ft tall and my legs feel cramped. The engine layout in the frame precludes having much wiggle room to change leg positions during long rides. Even highway pegs don't provide much room and the spread leg position is more akin to an OB/GYN table than a motorcycle. After a long ride my hip joints hurt. This is where the HD touring bikes have an advantage.

I would suggest a very long test ride before buying. Make it long enough that you need to find different riding positions to remain comfortable. That will determine a buy or pass.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Dick Fowler said:
Even highway pegs don't provide much room and the spread leg position is more akin to an OB/GYN table than a motorcycle.
Try **** O Pegs. He offers a 90 day buy back if you're not comfortable with them. No OB/GYn problems with them. New seat, REG risers and MOPs are the three things that make the 1800 work for me. You can see pics and get info in the link in my signature as well as:

www.ridingiswonderful.com

·
Registered
45 Posts
ddking said:
Dick Fowler said:
Even highway pegs don't provide much room and the spread leg position is more akin to an OB/GYN table than a motorcycle.
Try **** O Pegs. He offers a 90 day buy back if you're not comfortable with them. No OB/GYn problems with them. New seat, REG risers and MOPs are the three things that make the 1800 work for me. You can see pics and get info in the link in my signature as well as:

www.ridingiswonderful.com
I am using them (model D). They must be outboard of the valve covers which creates that spread-eagle feeling. Being 65 doesn't help the hip problem either!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Dick, what seat do you have? I would have to agree, there can be a spread eagle feel with the stock seat...at least there was for me. It all changed when I changed seats. I lost the spread eagle feeling when I moved back and up with both the Diamond and Russell Day Long seats.

Also, you might want to call Jim **** and see about getting Model E legs to use. They will bring your feet back in a little closer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
As for riding in the rain, I've done plenty and found the Wing gives excellant protection at highway speeds. Far better than a motorcycle should.

On a 5 hour ride in very heavy rain, my wife and I stayed relatively dry. All that was really wet on me were my gloves.
I wear leather boots and grease them regularly when riding. Makes a big differance.
We still have not invested in any rain gear and probably won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great feedback... A little more about my riding or anticipated riding. I will be commuting 118 miles round trip daily for work mostly on the interstates, and hopefully wandering off as much as possible on the weekends to do the tourist/twisties riding. So I will be piling the miles on whatever I buy and need my bike to be as reliable as possible. I don't ride two up. I do generally run errands on my bikes, grocery shop, run to Lowes for things so the storage and ability to carry stuff is important to me, and much appreciated when wandering around aimlessly on the weekends.

Thanks again! :)

Longsnowsm

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
How is the GW for riding in the rain and does it offer good protection for this type of riding? Secondly the GW is massive. Does anyone out here in CA have issues splitting lanes with this very large bike? Lastly, How do you guys with long inseams fit these bikes? I sat on my buddies, but my knees were jammed into the fairing and motor. My inseam is 36". Am I going to be able to get this bike to fit me?
I'll let the others who are taller address the issue of comfort for your sized frame, but I think I can respond to your other two questions on riding in the rain and splitting lanes.

As respects the question of riding in the rain, the Wing is probably as good as it gets in terms of protection in rain and on a motorcycle. Not that you might not need to wear the appropriate rain gear in a driving rain storm to keep dry, but once you have proper gear on you shouldn't have any problems ridng in heavy rain "provided" you are somewhat knowledgeable about the inherent hazards that you need to lookout for that might pose some higher hazards. Things like painted surfaces, manhole covers and steel or metal smooth surfaces, standing water, and those oval markers that are used to divide lanes are all very very slippery. Allow extra distances and room from all vehicles and extra braking time, but beyond that you can feel pretty comfortable riding for long distances on a GL1800. I'd make sure you have good tires like the Bridgestones, which IMO are far far better on wet pavement and heavy rain than he alternatives and definitely avoid riding in the rain if you have either of the Dunlops (again IMO as I have consistantly fround them to be easy to break loose and slip).

As respects splitting lanes, that too is a individual decision and can depend on the amount of room available on the roads and freeways you are riding, but "if" you use common sense, you can easily split lanes with the GL1800. I had a 45 mile commute each way in the S.F. Bay area that was one of the worst in terms of the amount of traffic and in dry weather could easily split lanes without any difficulty. There might be times in specific places where I would weigh the proper time and place to preceed between specific vehicles, but that is only reasonable depending upon the amount of space and room. Due to the lane dividers used in California it isn't safe or wise to split lanes when it rains as those oval markers are extremely slippery and you'll be playing with fire to ride on those when wet.

With more and more commuter lanes used in commuting areas, riding on a motorcycle has become extremely popular for California commuters. You can't beat the cost of commuting or the riding in style either. Of course the great power of the Wing makes it a lot of fun too.

Good luck and I hope the Wing works out for you.

DaleC

P.S. Gerbing heated gear works well in wet weather too, plus the gloves are waterproof. Look at the newer G3 glove if you go that route.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
The stock GL1800 is a fantastic touring bike but it's wasn't designed ergonomically for tall riders. Listen to Mr. King, he's already plowed this ground and has some very good insights and recommendations for us big guy's. Terry 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts