GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of NGK plugs today for my 1800 and noticed when I was setting the gap that 4 of them were resistor plugs. Does anyone use resistor plugs in their goldwing? I have never used resistor plugs in my motorcycles but am open to using them if they work as well and last as long.

I

·
0 Posts
I bought a set of NGK plugs today for my 1800 and noticed when I was setting the gap that 4 of them were resistor plugs. Does anyone use resistor plugs in their goldwing? I have never used resistor plugs in my motorcycles but am open to using them if they work as well and last as long.
You obviously didn't get the same 6 plugs you specified. Resistor and non-resistor plugs have different part numbers.

I don't know if the OEM plugs are "resistor" types, but I suspect they are in order to eliminated radio interference.

In any event, if you get the exact NGK OEM plug by part number, you should not have a problem.

Who sold you 4 plugs of one number, and 2 of another number...and which one is the OEM plug number?????

Good luck.

W

·
0 Posts
The factory plugs are resistor type: NGK BKR6E-11 or Denso K20PR-U11. As mentioned, these are used to reduce radio interference.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks IBtrike and Whitebird00. I hit a "slick spot". I went down and rechecked the plugs and they all do indeed have the R on the base of the plug so it was me and not the vendor. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Here is a link to the NGK plug numbering system. The "R" in the part number BKR6E-11 indicates that it is a resistor type plug. To be dead certain your plugs are correct you could measure the resistance from the cap of the plug to the tip of the center electrode with an ohmeter. It will measure about 5,000 ohms for a resistor plug and practically zero ohms for a non resistor plug.

http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411_ngk.asp

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
It isn't just for radio interference. I think you would be hard pressed to find any fuel injected motorcycle that doesn't use resistor plugs, due to potential problems with the ECM from interference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts