GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 85000 miles of touring I've never been left sitting with a broken motorcycle. Today 1300 miles from home my Goldwing left me sit at a gas pump somewhere around Concil Bluffs Iowa. Started trying to diagnose it was just charging 14 volts and now completely dead pushed to a parking lot and attempted to get road service through any possible method big truck service people wrecker etc. NO LUCK No Help and feeling helpless and very angry. I had my dealer that I bought the bike off saved in my phone called and asked if they could advise of a Honda dealer in the area No help there. Finally the truck shop I tried to pay for a simple jump refused to help because it was a motorcycle gave me a name, Full Throttle Motorsports in Council Bluffs Iowa. I called and advised the parts guy my problem and my suspected issue as a shorted or bad battery. The gentleman advised I'm not too far from you I'll get my truck and come jump you to get you to the shop. He came and jumped my bike and led me to the shop where he offered to sell me whatever I needed for 10% discount and if I wanted their shop to do it he would get it right in. I chose to have the shop install battery only to discover the low beam headlights also blew out. They offered headlights at discount and installed them. I was extremely taken back by the service and care this dealer gave me. Discounted the parts gave me a labor discount and only charged 1/2 hr labor for everything battery install trouble shoot headlights and replaced both low beams. Plus the gentleman initially got me there by coming out with his personal vehicle and getting me going and did NOT CHARGE a cent for this and wanted to refuse my TIP for his help. Sorry for the long winded post but in a world that I myself dwell on negative things I really felt compelled to post this. Those who have been left sit > 1000 miles from home can appreciate this kind of help. Cudos to all at this dealership. If I lived within 100 miles of these guys I know were my next bike would be coming from. Well off and running thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know that sometimes it doesnt seem like it, but there are still some good people left in this world. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
This is where the gold book comes in sometimes with the GWRRA. You should mention the dealers name for others

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Killer, that's the Hawkeye state and the place is just full of great folks like that. If you want to get your next Wing from those guys and can't get back in person I am sure we could work something out. I am always looking for a good reason to get back to my home state and take a long road trip while I am at it. I am glad to hear you got all taken care of, too!
Go Hawks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Iowa

Iowa..
My 83 Interstate broke down in Iowa. A starter issue and after many offers of help from the locals, a police officer gave me the number to Mason City Honda. After a phone call I was feeling better about my situation and a man helped me push start my bike. (I was pulling a trailer too!) Made it to Mason City Honda and 24 hours later rode out on my new 2010 Titanium Wing..
Mason City is 800 some miles from me but I am actually thinking about taking bike back there for some warranty/service work..

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Good dealers providing excellent service deserve the recognition we give them here.

I haven't had reason to use it but the GPS unit in my wing has a special feature that displays the name, address, and perhaps even phone number of the nearest Honda dealer simply by clicking on that feature.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This is where the gold book comes in sometimes with the GWRRA. You should mention the dealers name for others

He did.
Full Throttle Motorsports in Council Bluffs Iowa.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I will keep them in mind when I buy me next wing, I have to agree with slowpoke about the goldbook. I have carried it with me for over 30 years and used it a few times for travel situations, no matter how anyone feels about the group it really does offer a great service when traveling. I don't want to get into a debate about GWRRA but if you are in this situation it is nice to have the book.
anyway glad things worked out for you to continue having a great trip home.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
There are some good people out there and some of them are DEALERS

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Thank-you

Thank-you for posting about your good experience. Things like this are always good to hear.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Glad to hear you got things worked out! Great to hear about the good dealers. Each one of these 'over the top service' experiences deserve their own thread. If they were near me I would give them business. If I'm ever in the area I would stop in and see if I could give them some business. At the very least, let them know that their good deeds were not forgotten. Was the person who picked you up just an employee, or a service/sales manager? It would be nice to make sure the owner/manager knows how pleased you were with their hospitality, and how much good will it created for them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts