GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes uncle has a low mileage 750-4 from the mid 1980's I'm thinking of acquiring and going thru from the ground up for her first street bike. She has alot of off road and light Enduro experience on the street and coming from her favorite Uncle has her looking at me with puppydog eyes to tackle it as a resto.

Any and all comments pro and con would be appreciated guys.

Bradford

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm currently restoring a '79 CB750K LTD. I have the engine running smooth and new tires. All thats left to do is get the original mirrors for it and polish up everything else.

I think the bike is a bit too much for a learner bike, but if your wife already has some street experience and the endorsement on her license then she should be more than capable of handling it. It has more power and torque than the V-Twin 750's and actually makes a nice little sister to the Wing. Put a sprocket on the rear with fewer teeth so the RPM's can run lower, add a fairing, bags and trunk (I'm trying to find vintage Vetter gear since that was popular back then) and she could tour right along with you on the long rides.

The 750K is an easy restore. Let me know if you need resources for the parts, service manual and stuff.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, I'm getting pretty excited about the idea myself. I'll be in touch.

Bradford

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
its a very nastalgia filled bike

but i wouldnt want my wife, or sons, etc to have one for their first few years

the bike is very top heavy, and has poor brakes and handling , just like every other big bike from its day,

i would certainly prefer to have a shadow 750, or a pacific coast pc-800, or similar, for them to cut their teeth on

now if you came across a cb-450, now theres an old school bike thats easy to get around on, and no where near as heavy as the 750, to horse around

·
Registered
552 Posts
24 Carat said:
My wifes uncle has a low mileage 750-4 from the mid 1980's I'm thinking of acquiring and going thru from the ground up for her first street bike. She has alot of off road and light Enduro experience on the street and coming from her favorite Uncle has her looking at me with puppydog eyes to tackle it as a resto.
A cherried out 750/4 would make a sweet bike for your wife. :yes1:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have a CB750F 1975 and I have to agree it is a top heavy bike with high seat hight. Let her sit on it and see what she thinks. Handling leaves a lot to be desired if you ride aggressive, they will turn a lot of heads if it is a nice one

·
Registered
184 Posts
The bike will be too big. Go with a little 250 Rebel first then the 750. Been there done that, my wife had off road but no on road so I picked her up a VSTAR 650 which was too large at first.

I had a Yellow CB750 Super Sport that was my first bike and it was great but if I remember right it was a hand full for me at 6ft 185lbs at first. After a few weeks it was no problem. Thats my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Perhaps the thing to do is let her sit on it and decide. Everyone tends to err on the conservative side when considering a noob relative. My wife's first bike was a Shadow 750. She had become extremely accomplished with the bike when I had her take it on the freeway. Four miles on the freeway and then off.... she was ready to sell the bike. It didn't have enough guts and rode like a hard tail. She then sat on an ST1300 and it was instant love. We bought her the ST1300 and she took to it like a duck to water. She has put 20,000 miles on the ST in one year and loves the long rides.

The bottom line is you can't decide what your wife wants to ride. Only she can. When she sits on the bike she wants you'll know. You wouldn't want her telling you what you SHOULD be riding, don't expect her to be any different.

I personally think the CB750 works fine for a relatively inexperienced rider. Heck, I was relatively inexperienced when I owned my first one. But my wife is 5' 10" tall, extremely athletic and all legs. It might be more of a challenge to someone with a different body type and fitness level.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a female rider who has ridden my husband's 1972 CB 750, I would strongly discourage this idea. The reasons are the same that has been previously stated, too tall, and too top heavy. Let her get some good solid street experience and then have it around as a play toy to be ridden when you really want attention. JMHO!

Becky

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i was very careful with lauras learning curve

yes i did start her out witha 1100 shadow spirit, but the bike has a very low seat height, very low center of gravity, and not so powerful that it will get away from an inexperienced rider

after a couple seasons of practice, i found her a valkyrie tourer, once again a low seat height, and even though the bike is very heavy, its built quite low,

after a year of the valkyrie tourer, i got her the exact same bike, with an added fairing and top trunk, the valkyrie interstate, she still has issues at low speed and in parking lots, but other than those minor problems, its been a good learning experience

we will correct the parking lot issues, and ill still horse the thing out of tight spots for her, she sure has fun with her valkyrie

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
8) I figure it is your call. My wife did some slow speed work on my 81 GL1100, then went to the MSF basic course. She got her ticket and went out and bought a Virago 1100. Small bike, strong motor. She rode that a couple of seasons, freaked out and bought a VTX1800 last January. She loves it and handles it well, though I push her to do more practice with panic stops and slow speed stuff. If your wife is big enough to manage the 750 physically it should be fine for her. Often judgement is more of an issue than physical capability. Have fun and ride safe. :wink:

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See, now this is what I'm talking about, what a fantastic resource and I appreciate the input. We will probably get the 750-4 but we happened across a pristeen Rebel at our dealer that made a BIG smile on her face and anyway, the long distance stuff will probably always be done two up on the 'Wing.

Thank you again folks. I am an accomplished mechanic and will probably document the entire project to share. Sorta like a mini "Fred" attempt in still pics.

Bradford

1 - 13 of 13 Posts