GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
There's talk as the population gets older, about getting senior's retested for driver license in cages, anyone think this is a good idea, including cycles?

Cheers!

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Good idea, but they are not allowed. In Fl they do a random retest of all drivers for the vision test. That thins out a few of the blind drivers. :shock:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Who determines what age a "senior" would be retested. I think I got an AARP card at age 50. I'll be 60 on my next b-day and still don't feel anywhere near a "senior". Something tells me I'll feel that way at 70.

Bob VanNess
Royal Oak, MI

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
AARP offers a refresher course that is really good.

Don't know that "senior" should be a prerequiste for cages or motorcycles....perhaps after so many years of being a licensed rider or driver.

More scarey are the new drivers who are handed out passing grades for drivers ed that have not a clue.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I have a 91 year old friend that lives in Kermit, Tx, He is BLIND, you can walk up to him and he won't even be able to tell who you are until he hears your voice. He can not read the dials on his Ham radio without a large magnifying glass.

But, if you want to go into town for coffee, he has to be the one that drives .. He still has a license but can not drive on freeways.. Scares me to death, I picked him up to take him to Amarillo for a get together, He wanted to drive and he did drive about 100 miles, I had to grab the wheel once when a truck tire was laying on the road, he did not see it !!!

He does not think of himself as a senior !! I am 68, should I be retested ?? Probably flunk it LOL

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here in Ontario you have to be retested every two years after the age of 80. My dad just had his test last week he's 86. And yes he can drive for at least two more years.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I think an eye test should be mandatory every couple of years over 65 years old. I was at DMV just the other day registering my 07 wing, and a little old man asked me to memorize a couple of lines on the eye chart.

Not to ruin his day, but I ratted him out to the supervisor, who then asked him into her office for a visit. I hope they pull the plug on him, there's way too many blind geezers driving these days in NY. We only renew every 8 years.

·
Registered
740 Posts
OK, I have rethought the testing. I would be OK with mandatory testing of everyone over the age of 80 when their DL came up for renewal. The story of the blind guy driving did it for me. I also make this promise now- I will not drive or try to drive one day past my 90th birthday.

Bob VanNess
Royal Oak,Mi

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Let's face it, folks. Being 70, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the old synaptic responses don't work as fast as they used to. Most older drivers know this and that is why they appear to dawdle along. They tend to drive in the left hand lane because that's where they feel most comfortable, able to see the side of the road, etc. And they drive slower because they know their reaction times are slower and they need the extra room.

When talking about retesting, are we speaking of a thorough retest, including laws, skills and vision? I'd be in favor of that, simply because there are too many folks who don't think they are impaired (similar to a person who's only had a couple of drinks), but are, in fact, something of a risk on the highway.

I could be one of them, but unless I'm tested again, how will I know other than if I get into an accident (similar to what happened last November)? I know this is the age of relativism, but there has to be some standard and that is what the law provides.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Indiana already has a mandatory drivers test for people who are I think 70 or 75 years of age. I know they make you take the skills test on a motorcycle because when I was getting my endorsement there was a man there who had to take his to keep his motorcycle endorsement on his license. He told me he had to take the auto drivers test as well. This was six years ago.

·
Registered
637 Posts
All I can think of is the guy with the welding glasses on that waited until I was 10 feet away before he pulled out in front of me while looking right at me. I missed the Buick LeSabre by inches and he was oblivious to having almost killed someone. Yeah, I think that someone who had learned to drive in 1920 ought to be refreshed a bit.

Also, I think if he's going to wear the goggles while driving, he ought to take the eye test with them on.

Sorry, just had to vent.

·
Registered
353 Posts
leave the seniors alone. the real problem i see here in colo. is illegal aliens driving with no DL NO INSURANCE and when they do get into a accident . they hit and run. here in colo we have little or no problems with seniors.
mostly drunk illegals driving.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Here in the Pittsburgh area we have an abundance of elderly. At least everyone who is too poor to move to Florida. I see people doing the dumbest things everyday. I grit my teeth and give them a wide berth. I keep thinking of the old guy who has lived all his life in the same house out in the country away from public transportation. Maybe he has no family nearby. So what happens when they pull his license. I know he is a risk but driving is a risky business. We tend to forget that today. When our generation were babies we sat on our mothers lap in front of that beautiful metal dashboard. Seat belts?Maybe dad was sipping a beer while we were on the way to Grandma's house. Yeah I know, we are smarter now. Seat belts, open container laws, no cell phones, no smoking, no fat, no old people, no kids. I don't think I can stand it if we get any smarter!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Well gang, I can still qualify with a glock and M-4 and I'm going on 66. I'm headed for the dirt circuit again in December. If somebody tells me I gotta take a test to drive or ride right now, they just may get more than they bargain for. That said, I'm not saying some old farts don't need to get near a steering wheel or bike, just remember all of us white haired old goats are NOT senile.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
leave the seniors alone. the real problem i see here in colo. is illegal aliens driving with no DL NO INSURANCE and when they do get into a accident . they hit and run. here in colo we have little or no problems with seniors.
Oh, that's really peachy to hear, why with Colorado Gold coming up at the end of July I'm really not looking forward to the illegal alliens and their related problems. :x

Ride safely.........and learn the Spanish language.

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
That's when you should be able to shoot at the fleeing car.

My wife was a victim of hit and run. 4 mexicans, probably illegal, probably nothing else. They laughed at her and drove away. Too bad it wasn't me. I would have chased them down and held them at gunpoint.

Yes, I am in favor of more frequent testing when we get older. I think 65 is a good time to consider it. 70 for sure. Not so much the written test, just the vision test. I need glasses to pass.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hm. Anyone who gets irate at the thought of requiring a retest of senior citizens oughta visit the Winn Dixie store outside On Top of the World retirement village and watch those untested seniors in their 20 year old rear-drive dinosaurs try to park between the lines. That includes the gentleman who apparently plans on pulling his Glock on anyone who 'threatens' him with a retest. Perhaps there oughta be a psychological test included as well.

Here in Florida the license renews for six years..it's pretty scarey to think of some of the folk I meet in my store still driving. A couple years ago Channel 10 in south Florida put a camera on a retirement community parking lot, and showed the result on the news. Absolutely amazing. Collisions, sideswipes, up on the curbs, etc. Oh, and those who have lost their licenses just hop in their unlicensed golfcars and barrel through the stop signs unhindered.

Ride long and safe..and I am more than willing to retest every year if required. And stop driving when I cannot pass the test.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
...anyone think this is a good idea, including cycles?

Cheers!
I think EVERYONE, regardless of age or what they drive or ride should be retested on a periodic schedule.

There probably isn't enough money in the pot to administer this type of testing program, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
North Florida said:
Hm. Anyone who gets irate at the thought of requiring a retest of senior citizens oughta visit the Winn Dixie store outside On Top of the World retirement village and watch those untested seniors in their 20 year old rear-drive dinosaurs try to park between the lines. That includes the gentleman who apparently plans on pulling his Glock on anyone who 'threatens' him with a retest. Perhaps there oughta be a psychological test included as well.

Here in Florida the license renews for six years..it's pretty scarey to think of some of the folk I meet in my store still driving. A couple years ago Channel 10 in south Florida put a camera on a retirement community parking lot, and showed the result on the news. Absolutely amazing. Collisions, sideswipes, up on the curbs, etc. Oh, and those who have lost their licenses just hop in their unlicensed golfcars and barrel through the stop signs unhindered.

Ride long and safe..and I am more than willing to retest every year if required. And stop driving when I cannot pass the test.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6
Read my post friend. I merely mentioned that I believe that if I can still get qualified to carry weapons in a combat zone, then I don't really feel that I need to take a test to ride or drive. Didn't mention pulling a weapon on anyone!! I did also infer that there a tons of folks much younger than me who can't even see 10 feet in front of them, and should not even get close to a steering wheel or think of hopping on a bike. Just don't lump all of us seniors in one package..that is all I'm saying. I will also be more than willing to take a retest every year if required...but only if it is required of everyone in a specific category...no exceptions. BTW, I grew up in Jacksonville, I miss Florida quite a lot sometime. :D :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hey - I think everyone should be totally retested every two years - written and road test both, and every license should be type rated - cars under 6000 pounds, sport utility vechiles, motor homes, trailers, motorcycles, bicycles, and skateboards. And no one may drive on public highways with previous convictions of any moving violations, all rigs have mandatory safety inspections every 3000 miles.

That should eliminate the traffic gridlock. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts