GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three years ago, facing some medical challenges, I converted my 2014 Wing into a Motor Trike Prowler reverse trike. It was not a positive experience for me. It had 17 inch wheels in front with 245 tires so it was hard to steer and the flat panel front was negatively affected by wind gusts. After 2000 miles, I sold it to the shop that did the conversion. (Others have had positive experiences with this conversion.) I bought an F6B and added a Kawasaki Ninja 1000.

I attended Rockies Gold last year and came to the conclusion that even the F6B was becoming too heavy for me to handle comfortably at slow speeds (I am 5’7” and 163 pounds and 69 years old). I sold the F6B and kept the Ninja 1000.

After further reflection, I realized that I wanted to continue to go on long distance trips and that the Ninja 1000 would not work for that. I came to the conclusion that I would get another trike. I tried the Can-Am Spyder, but I decided I wanted to continue to be a Goldwing owner. I bought a 2006 Goldwing air bag model with a Champion independent rear suspension conversion with a raked front end. It is in pristine condition with only 41,000 miles on the odometer.

I have seen posts where individuals have stated that they would never own a trike. I thought that I fell into that category after my first trike experience. I think it is easy to say that until you are faced with the dilemma of not being able to handle two wheels safely. For me that meant adjusting my thinking and getting a trike.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I believe if switching to a trike my choice would be the 3 cylinder Can Am Spyder.
And yes I have already taken the new Spyder for a test ride.
What didn’t you like about your Spyder ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had a friend who triked his Harley. Steering was atrocious. Did the rake thing and he said it was like power steering after that. I've never thought I would ride a trike. I have ridden three different ones and I really didn't like it. When the time comes that I can't handle two wheels anymore then maybe I will see things different.

If you like the new trike then as stated above ride it and not care what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Enjoy what puts a smile on your face.

I have had 2 trikes now and have not looked back wishing to stay 2 wheels yet, and it has been 7 years.

I feel more secure and don't worry about sand at stops or slopes, or switch backs while riding...and I keep up with the 2 wheelers for the most part.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Doesn't it take a huge adjustment to ride one? I remember the first and only time I rode one of those early 3 wheel ATV's. Wow, I couldn't as I kept trying to ride a motorcycle. I believe that is what happened to Dick Meyer when he got killed around 30 days after going to a trike and had probably 1 million miles on a GL1800 on 2 wheels. I doubt I could adjust. Don't mean to discourage others though. I would not mind one if I thought I would ride safely on one. Not for me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
@Slvrvalk1

Ride on! My wife and I earned our 3-wheel endorsements in WA State last summer.

We'll be adding an F3 Spyder to the riding stable when we get a bigger garage. Have friends with all kind of 2 and 3 wheel bike and one Slingshot at work.

Be happy. Handle what you can. Ride "your own" ride and screw the rest of us. It's your happy time.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Because of my business, I've road many trikes. Other then they not leaning, they have other advantages that a 2-whl cannot offer. The biggest one I notice is that no longer do my eyes have to spend time as much time analyzing pavement conditions. For me that means more time enjoying the beauties of nature, which is often more enjoyable. I still get the wind, and smells, and now get to see more :)

There are 2 big downfalls with trikes. First, not only are 5th gens expensive to keep properly maintained, but keeping up with the trike half is expensive too. The second is their poor ride. Bikes travel one path on the road. Trikes travel 3 paths, so they hit 3x more bumps, and ride even poorer than a car. Therefore, for a better ride, be sure to get one that has independent suspension, and a longer wheel base helps too.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have been riding bikes since I was 16 yrs old (69 yrs now) six years ago I was in Sturgis (bike week) and decided to test out a trike... I HAVE TO ADMIT, THAT THE TEST RIDE BLOW THE WIND OUT OF MY SAIL, I HATED IT!!
Well fast forward, two seasons ago, I got very sick, while at the "Tail Of The Dragon" ..and Doctors told my wife no more M/C riding for me..... Well I decided to try trike'ing her out.. (2010 1800).... Now that I have been riding this trike , I have to say that I NOW LOVE RIDING, THIS TRIKE, and will never go back to two wheels...........

It takes a few rides to get used to the trike ride.... I did put the 5.5% rake kit on my front end and find it's not at all hard to steer......

My trike builder did use these exact words to me when I was questioning him about the 5.5* rake kit::: **Out of the many trikes that I have built for others, NO ONE EVER CAME BACK AND WANTED THE POWER STEERING KIT TAKEN OFF/ but 85% OF THE FOLKS CAME BACK LATER AND WANTED HIM TO CHANGE THE FRONT END TO POWER STEERING...*** So I "highly" suggest that you go with the additional cost and change to P/S...

Ronnie

Reactions: m2102 and Wing'n it

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I have been riding bikes since I was 16 yrs old (69 yrs now) six years ago I was in Sturgis (bike week) and decided to test out a trike... I HAVE TO ADMIT, THAT THE TEST RIDE BLOW THE WIND OUT OF MY SAIL, I HATED IT!!
Well fast forward, two seasons ago, I got very sick, while at the "Tail Of The Dragon" ..and Doctors told my wife no more M/C riding for me..... Well I decided to try trike'ing her out.. (2010 1800).... Now that I have been riding this trike , I have to say that I NOW LOVE RIDING, THIS TRIKE, and will never go back to two wheels...........

It takes a few rides to get used to the trike ride.... I did put the 5.5% rake kit on my front end and find it's not at all hard to steer......

My trike builder did use these exact words to me when I was questioning him about the 5.5* rake kit::: **Out of the many trikes that I have built for others, NO ONE EVER CAME BACK AND WANTED THE POWER STEERING KIT TAKEN OFF/ but 85% OF THE FOLKS CAME BACK LATER AND WANTED HIM TO CHANGE THE FRONT END TO POWER STEERING...*** So I "highly" suggest that you go with the additional cost and change to P/S...

Ronnie
Ronnie there is only one trike available with power steering and that is the Can Am Spyder, power steering is standard equipment not an option that you have to pay extra for.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am surprised that so few folks look into Sidecars as a three wheel alternative. For a riding couple I would say a Trike is better with the front to back seating but if your a single rider my choice is a Sidecar for a few reasons.
One) as Greg mentioned a Trike is a three track vehicle and a Sidecar is only two so less maneuvering around pot holes.
Two) A Sidecar is able to be removed and the bike ridden solo with little work. ( I mount or remove mine in less than a half hour by myself).
Three) A Sidecar is just a large (very large) saddlebag that fits a person.

All in all they are fun to ride and gain attention everywhere you go. I take mine to the grocery store and there is always people looking in amazement as I load the Hack with bag after bag and then button it up and ride away..

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Since my wife no longer rides our 1990 GL1500SE that we triked a few short years ago, I have been tasked with riding it some from time to time. At first I hated it. I had put 135K miles on it as a two wheeled wing. But, now that I ride it periodically, I've learned what output to expect from the input it is given. I have really warmed up to it, but not willing yet to give up my GL1800. I am still in good physical condition and enjoy riding the GL1800, but should the time come, I would gladly accept becoming a full time triker. Its sort of like getting a new pair of shoes that you like the looks of, but they are just not comfortable to walk in. But, after wearing them for a while, they become your favorite shoes to wear.

Reactions: JW.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Here's a new alternative that leans. https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/niken-gt Outfitted with the right aftermarket panniers, top bag, and tank bag it has real potential for 1up touring. With it's narrower front wheels the potential to hit every pothole is much less than most other three wheelers. For two-up it's hard to beat the performance, features, and price of the new model CanAms. The newest generation has the best steering/front suspension of any three wheeler I've ridden and again with two up-front it's easier to avoid potholes around town. Good Luck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I ride both a trike and a two wheeler (both GL1800's) and i enjoy both equally, just in different ways. If I want to play a little and carve the corners I'll take the bike. If I want a more relaxed trip and need to carry cargo I'll take the trike. Either way, the wife is with me and she actually favors the bike, likes the lean.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Like anything else their is a learning curve to go thru. When I went and picked mine up after the build was done, I made a couple rounds the parking lot to get a little feel of turning. Second gear idling and series of left and right turns. Tight to gradual. I was readable to go. When I pulled out of the parking lot i almost went in a shallow ditch. Sales man was watching me and came out laughing. We both new what I did. Tried to lean instead of steering. Took a breath and took off. Wife was watching the whole thing and didn’t look confident. Filled up with gas then started the 150 mile ride home. Half hour after I left ran into a downpour of rain all the rest of the way home. It did lighten up a little. Had no problems on way home and none since. We love our trike.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I traded my '03 Goldwing for a '12 and had it triked with a Roadsmith kit in Wisconsin and since moved to Florida.
I never had any medical problems riding on two wheels, but thought it wouldn't get any cheaper in the future, so I pulled the plug
and never been happier.

Now some say triking a Goldwing takes all the fun out when leaning through the curves, but not having to worry about having
980 pounds falling when riding slow or coming to a stop especially riding two up means a lot.

I think Honda is missing the boat not offering the Goldwing as a production trike, with all that power, it's perfect for three wheels.

Below is me enjoying riding year around in the land of the endless summer.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Slvrvalk1, I have an Endeavor reverse triked Goldwing and the front tire size on it is 165/55/15, a lot smaller than the ones you had on the Motor Trike. I believe the Spyders front tires are smaller than the Motor Trikes also. I haven't had any problems with the steering and it doesn't have power steering. I have ridden the Spyder and like it, especially the reverse as it's a lot faster than a Goldwing. Congrats on the new trike, maybe we'll see ya on the road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts