GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of us are retired on this forum, and if any are what effect the downward spiral of the economy is having on plans for road trips this year?

I retired from the Army three years ago. Since then, I have logged over 100,000 miles traveling across our beautiful country on my bikes, mostly solo. My wife retired last year. So in October I traded my 06 FJR in on a 08 GL 1800 in hopes my wife and I could enjoyed touring together.

Touring two-up is more expensive than solo travel because of motel cost, food, gas etc. With the wife on board, camping is out of the guestion. Even with the high cost of everything, we still plan on making a trip this summer. Maybe not as far or stay out on the road as long as planned, but I will put the Wing in the Wind going somewhere we haven't been. How about it? What are some of your plans for the up coming riding season?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i retired 59 months ago, at age 48

i set it up so i dont have to worry about things

i dont get disabliity, ssi, verterns benifits, pension, nothing

we live in a house thats far below our means

we have lots of toys, but we dont hemerage money on bs, like so many do

i invested in the metals market and didnt have the huge flop the other investments had, and got out exactly on time

yes, my house value is certainly lower than what it used to be, but i really dont care, since im going to live here until my last day

i bought in two years ago, for about 20% lower than the most of the others in the subdivision did, due to the poor economy up until that point, which ebded the building boom here aprox 3 years ago

arkansas has low taxes, and we are one of the 7 states that has a budget surplus, yes a surplus

yes im pretty fortunate, but a little bright as well

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I retired 8 years ago at the young age of 53. My pension plan provided for 70% of my salary plus an automatic 3% annual COLA. I'm now making the same thing as when I retired. My wife is a federal employee (postmaster with USPS) and makes a decent salary. Since our income continues to go up and the economy is down, we are doing more than ever, taking more trips, eating out, buying toys etc. Of course we are socking away plenty of savings too. She'll retire in another 3 years then we can really take off to all the distant places we've always wanted to go. I'm enjoying life more than ever. Here's a tip for anyone who wonders what to do with all the free time once you retire...there doesn't seem to be any. It feels like someone turned a dial or flipped a switch and time went from normal to warp speed. Time seems to go by like a blur, so much so that it's sometimes hard to remember what day or date it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been retired for 8 years and you are right - the portfolio has taken a big hit. Thank goodness my wife continues to teach and still has all of our health coverage. However we have paid off all of our debt and we continue to lead fugal lives.

We entertain a lot at home with freinds and continue to take trips in the summer on the wing. We actually enjoy camping and have been to places in North America that most people will never see. Your wife should consider it - the new equipment is quite comfortable and ,who knows what may happen in the dark with all that fresh air....

We actually continue to save.

·
Registered
905 Posts
you can cut your costs of traveling with the wife consideably by using one of those credit cards that give "points" for charging things.
I use a "Choice Privilages" card from Bank of America. Charge everything of our regularly monthly bills on it and pay it off at the end of the month.
House gas, electric, mortgage, groceries, car gas ... etc
The points add up pretty quickly and I end up with about a month of "free stays" at any of the Choice Privilages Hotels during the year.
The catch is .. you gotta pay it off every month just as you would all of the afore mentioned regular bills. Now you stays while traveling don't cost anything !
My wife and I gave up camping 20 years ago ....
There's nothing like a hot shower and a worm bed at the end of a long day of riding our beautiful country.
Try it .... :lol:
Choice Hotels encompase .. Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality Inn, Clarion, Sleep Inn, Mainstay, EconoLodge and I think Roadway Inns
Look for a '07 Metalic Black Wing with the "Rabbai" plate and a Bushtec trailer with the "GWTRLR" plate both from CT and maybe well see you on the road !

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm retired now 6 1/2 years, at the age of 43. I worked for NYC Transit Authority for 25 years. I socked away some cash in a 401, plus pension.
I got sick in 2003, and felt enough was enough. I got out a little earlier
than i thought, but all in all, i'm doing much better than before.
Touring is kinda limited to Summer breaks and when scholls are closed,
cause the wife loves to ride,but is a teacher and has to wait 6 more years till she can retire.
But local trips are daily.All year round. Not even these cold days in NY State stop me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My wife and I plan on retiring in January 2013. Our combined retirement allowing for the discontinuing my deferred compensation contributions, will be slightly more than our salaries at retirement.

I got lucky. I chickened out on equities about 12 months before the begining of the decline. Pure dumb luck. It's not geting but about 5.5%, but that's looking better and better.

We go somewhere out of the country about twice a year now, and we'll never be home after retirement.:coffee1:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was just wondering how many of us are retired on this forum, and if any are what effect the downward spiral of the economy is having on plans for road trips this year?

I retired from the Army three years ago. Since then, I have logged over 100,000 miles traveling across our beautiful country on my bikes, mostly solo. My wife retired last year. So in October I traded my 06 FJR in on a 08 GL 1800 in hopes my wife and I could enjoyed touring together.

Touring two-up is more expensive than solo travel because of motel cost, food, gas etc. With the wife on board, camping is out of the guestion. Even with the high cost of everything, we still plan on making a trip this summer. Maybe not as far or stay out on the road as long as planned, but I will put the Wing in the Wind going somewhere we haven't been. How about it? What are some of your plans for the up coming riding season?
You might say I am retiring at the end of February. I really wasn’t planning to retire for a couple of more years, but Chevron Mining gave me no choice. Thank goodness I have some severance coming and then SSN.
Want to do trips on a budget. Open your homes to the Goldwing travelers. I live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. Red River is a great place to visit. I live alone and have a two bedroom condo. I would enjoy visitors and share riding in my part of the country. There is good riding here and trout fishing. I know I would enjoy visiting other parts of the country and stay within my means.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Retired in 2003 Thank Goodness!

Here is where "We" are going this year.

1. Kississimmee Rally / Florida - March
2. Dublin, Ga / Georgia - March 20-21 Great little rally
3. Kerrville, Tx / Texas - April 2-5
4. Liberty NY / Cats-Cade - May 28-May 31 You don't want to miss this one!
5. Bryson City, NC - June 18-21 / Smokey Mountain Ride In
6. Someplace during July, August, Sept and October

That's our schedule and looking forward to some great riding and making some new friends.

Come and join in the FUN!!! :coffee1:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Retired in 1994 at the age of 54. We do as much traveling as we can, especially on the Wing because I want to do as much as I can before health stops me. So far, so good. This year it's Calgary, Alberta and vicinity as well as some of B.C.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Retired

Expect to travel more this year, motels should be less money, gas shouldn't be to bad..........

Poor economy, stockmarket............should be a good time to start aqurering (sp) if the Demo's don't screw it up to bad............

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife and i retired 5 years ago and have averaged about 20,000 miles per year since. We have no plans to change our riding habits. Our main trip this year will be out to california on the bike. It helps that we both have indexed pensions. It does not help that the canadian dollar is in free fall. Good riding

·
Registered
905 Posts
Want to do trips on a budget. Open your homes to the Goldwing travelers. I live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. Red River is a great place to visit. I live alone and have a two bedroom condo. I would enjoy visitors and share riding in my part of the country. There is good riding here and trout fishing. I know I would enjoy visiting other parts of the country and stay within my means.
This is a really great idea that deserves some thought and discussion !
Maybe a "sign-up" form that would be viewable to those who choose to participate ..... ?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Retired Jan 1 2001. Bought a 2002 GL and I ride occasionally. Several trips east, west, north and south. Rode to Alaska in 2006 on the road for 49 days. Started a retired riders group - decided we would be on R & R - (Retired and Riding)

We ride every Tuesday and Thursday and then ride with an older group called the Over the Hill Gang on Wednesdays. Have a full monthly ride schedule with our GWRRA Chapter. We ride!

No plans on western or northern rides this year - maybe next year. Economy hurts everyone but we will keep riding until our savings are gone! :cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will be retireing this Thursday 2-26-09. After 30 yrs as a carpenter (metal studs, drywall) I've had enough. I will be 56, I will get my full pension which will be less than what I take home now, but not much less. My wife is planning on working till she's 62 (9yrs), so I will be holding down the fort alone. She has plenty of vacation time each year, so we hope to get in a few short trips now and then this summer. We are going on a 7 day cruise next month, then hoping to make it to the Sedona gathering in Oct. We will probably do the same traveling that we did before I retired, so even considering the economy, not a lot will change.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I retired after 39 years, about 5 1/2 years back when my job and plant went to China, thought I had to continue to work so worked another 2 1/2 years at another company and decided I did not need to be working any longer (it's hard to start at the bottom at 57). Planning on making at least one long MC trip, longer than a day, if I like it, will make more of them. Not sure where yet, maybe the Kerrville TX trip.

The economy has so far been just a mental problem. If it keeps going, will have to make some drastic changes (giving up cell phone, Sat tv, eat more at home and ect.). We are in a fairly good position as we don't owe on home, MC or autos and ect..

·
Registered
830 Posts
I retired almost 2 years ago at age 50, the County I worked for still has loads of money in our pension fund. I have another account that I switched to a fixed plan years ago when I was happy with the amount, I have lost zero money in it. Wife is still a nurse but only works 2 days a week. We have Mon thru Fri off together.

Hope everything gets better for those that have taken a hit in their accounts.

Mike

·
Registered
522 Posts
Retired in 1994 at the age of 54. We do as much traveling as we can, especially on the Wing because I want to do as much as I can before health stops me. So far, so good. This year it's Calgary, Alberta and vicinity as well as some of B.C.

oops. I should have posted that I am retarded.
My counselor just informed me of that. Sorry

·
Registered
906 Posts
I plan on retiring 6/2010. That will give 36 years with the same company and I figure that is long enough. Will have to wait and see what the economy does, but if we can't live on 97% of what we make now with a small cost of living raise each year then I guess we will stay home a little more.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The idea about MC riders staying with other MC riders is already available. Not sure but I think you can get more information at Delphi Forums under Motorcycle Tourers Forum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts