GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a month now on the 15th that I have retired, and now the wife and I are flying there in a week to have a look around. Originally, I was looking at the Payson area, but that was nixed because my wife wants nothing to do with snow. I tried to reason with her and explained that the summer months are better than other places.....but no. As it turns out, I'm going to start in the Surprise area and maybe in the northern Phoenix or Scottsdale.
My son lives in Paradise Valley and his father in law is a realtor there and will be helping us look for a place.
This is exciting and I can't wait. I have plans to get a HONDA Pioneer 1000 after we get settled and join up with a OHV club if possible. I'd love to explore the trails and back country. Beautiful state Arizona is.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
Have nephew in el mirage . Seems good area. North west of phoenix

·
Registered
116 Posts
Go south to Sierra Vista. Great rides in all directions from there. Much cooler in the Summer (just a handful of days where the temps are around the century mark) without the threat of heavy snow in the Winter. Sits at 4,600 ft elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
My wife's got family there in Phoenix..........Beautiful area 4 sure

Where can you go to get from 100* in the morning, and drive 2 hours and see snow and snow ski in Flagstaff??

I'm jealous!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
136 Posts
Spent a couple of nights in Flagstaff while touring the Grand Canyon. It is a beautiful place.

It did have a distinct evergreen sweet smell. We could never figure out what it was.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Steve, glad to see you guys are heading out to house shop.

Reference our snow in Payson, it isn't ANYTHING like the winters we had in the midwest. Growing up in north central Iowa and extreme northern Wisconsin, we know what snow is like.

In Payson, our snow lasts a day or two then it's all gone. Two weeks ago, we had 34" of snow sitting at our place in Star Valley. Within a week, it was all gone and most of the ground was drying out. Please share that with Mrs. Steve.

If you are looking for some dirt roads, Rim Country, aka Payson area, is THE place to ride! I cannot even tell you how many hundreds if not into the thousands of miles we have to ride in around here.

Check out the following website on so many diversified areas to explore in Gila County, northeast of Phoenix. https://www.discovergilacounty.com/

An added bonus to the Payson area is that we now have a guaranteed 100 year water supply while most other places in Arizona are looking into implementing water restrictions and possibly water rationing in the very near future.

Don't discount Payson yet, come up and give us a good look-over!

- David

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If I were to leave the valley I would consider Payson or Dewey. We started shopping Dewey recently then decided we didn’t want to be that far from the kids and grandkids, even though it’s only a little more than an hour north of where we live now.

I’d avoid El Mirage (sorry Uncle John)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would consider renting a small condo for a year and explore the area prior to making a purchase decision. Then you could spend a week in each seasonal extreme to determine what is acceptable.

An internet riding friend is moving to Blue Ridge GA from Louisiana. He considers heat the problem. I looked at the average highs and lows month to to month and it does look pretty attractive.

I think the summer AZ heat would have to be experienced to be understood. My cousin (a 63 year old) went out there in March for a concert and ended up in the hospital for dehydration. She collapsed in the crowd and luckily someone summoned medical attention.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think the summer AZ heat would have to be experienced to be understood. My cousin (a 63 year old) went out there in March for a concert and ended up in the hospital for dehydration. She collapsed in the crowd and luckily someone summoned medical attention.
In March? And probably the concert was at night? Probably a reach to blame the AZ desert climate for your cousin's unfortunate experience. :frown2:

·
Registered
136 Posts
No, it was an all day music festival. It was probably the low humidity and failure to hydrate that got her.

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
People have been known to pay good money for sauna equipment...

We simply walk outside and sit in the sun for 15 minutes. :mrgreen:

Our first 90 degree day is fast approaching here in ¡Baja Arizona! which means spring really has arrived!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we made it!!!! Bought a place in Surprise, Greer Ranch area, and moved in finally a few weeks back. Still going through boxes and putting things away, but we're getting there. Still too hot to be out in the garage putting together shelves and storing things, but managed to get the bike ready and got in a couple of short rides.
The move was a HUUUUUUGE PITA! The movers sucked!!!!!!!!! What a bunch of clowns, the Keystone Cops would have been a better choice. I'm pissed at all the damage they did to my tool boxes and a few pieces of furniture.
Anyway, we're here and trying to get the house in order. When it gets a bit cooler, the wife and I will get out for some riding. Right now, getting the guest room ready for a new bedroom set and mattress to be delivered Monday and a couple of other pieces.
Always something.
Steve F

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Welcome to the Valley of the Sun! Sorry the move was such a fiasco.

Definitely a little warm and humid now...you're in the worst of it. Just got out of my pool after mowing the lawn...it's 95 degrees in there! When it dries out the early morning and evening rides will be great, and the high country is not too far.

Maybe we can get together for a nice 600 mile Alpine Loop day ride. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the Valley of the Sun! Sorry the move was such a fiasco.

Definitely a little warm and humid now...you're in the worst of it. Just got out of my pool after mowing the lawn...it's 95 degrees in there! When it dries out the early morning and evening rides will be great, and the high country is not too far.

Maybe we can get together for a nice 600 mile Alpine Loop day ride. :wink2:
Oh you luck one! Pool??? wife is dying for one, but our yard is nothing but dirt right now.... brand new place and landscaping the 'backyard" is up to us. Not enough to put in grass I suppose, but we'll see anything's possible. Would love to get up in the higher country sometime to investigate some back roads.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You'll love all the trails to ride. Honda has the new Talon 1000 but the Polaris RZR is still the most popular. Some of the turbos will take your breath away.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Welcome, my grandkids are in Surprise. You're right, moving sucks. Told my wife, next move we leave all the furniture. If I can sell to a chubby guy with no fashion sense, I'll even leave my clothes.

Be careful riding this time of year. Obviously the heat, but flash flooding can close roads pretty quickly.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Spent a couple of nights in Flagstaff while touring the Grand Canyon. It is a beautiful place.

It did have a distinct evergreen sweet smell. We could never figure out what it was.
Did you see any of the pine trees in flagstaff, that's the smell. I like it there.

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Haha! Just caught the “location” in your avatar. ?

BTW...just checked the pool temp at 5:00...97. I should throw some pasta in to cook! ?

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You guys live on the hot side of town. I'm in Fountain Hills and my pool is a cool 87degs.:smile2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts