Discussion Starter #1
or Training Wheels for Adults :?:

:fullsize:

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
landing gear or ??

Local rider had these and one of the training wheel set ups. He has since gone to a trike conversion. The landing gear (not sure of brand) hung up twice. One malfunction led to a low speed go down. Your result may not be the same. FWIW his set up was on a 1500.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Don't laugh too hard, when my wife first saw those a few years ago (might be different company) she went "oooh! I like!".

She's gotten to the point physically that she can't hold up her '06 Yamaha V-Star 650. So it is to the point that we either sell it or trike it. It has pretty much every official Yamaha goody on it including the hard saddle bags ($1,000 for the pair, not including the mounts.)

The Voyager, etc. Trike kits are the only ones available for her bike and we both feel like they really leave a lot to be desired in the looks department.

There is a guy on youtube that designed a single wheel "training wheel" that mounts to the front crash guard on the Yamaha Voyager. At 20MPH and below, you only use your front brake. Your right foot presses on the wheels peg and lowers it for slow speed handling. However, he sold it to some company called Rush over six months ago and the thing has vanished.

I'm thinking that with some ingenuity, someone could take the Motor Trike kit for the Honda 750 and adapt it, but doing that is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
A guy that has done trikes and other things for many many years in our area tried out those landing gear things. He said it was fine till he went through an intersection that had an odd angle, and he went down. So they have some limitations for sure.

I think that they may be OK for some, but really, if you do need them, you need to look at some sort of true trike or other vehicle that is designed to stay upright all the time.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Those things are borderline dangerous to new riders or elderly when they come up...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't laugh too hard, when my wife first saw those a few years ago (might be different company) she went "oooh! I like!".

She's gotten to the point physically that she can't hold up her '06 Yamaha V-Star 650. So it is to the point that we either sell it or trike it. It has pretty much every official Yamaha goody on it including the hard saddle bags ($1,000 for the pair, not including the mounts.)

The Voyager, etc. Trike kits are the only ones available for her bike and we both feel like they really leave a lot to be desired in the looks department.

There is a guy on youtube that designed a single wheel "training wheel" that mounts to the front crash guard on the Yamaha Voyager. At 20MPH and below, you only use your front brake. Your right foot presses on the wheels peg and lowers it for slow speed handling. However, he sold it to some company called Rush over six months ago and the thing has vanished.

I'm thinking that with some ingenuity, someone could take the Motor Trike kit for the Honda 750 and adapt it, but doing that is beyond me.
You might check with the folks at "Leg UP Landing Gear". I believe they'll build a set for whatever you ride. Certainly might be workable option for your wife...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts