GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While traveling I-70 this week in Kansas I had the unnerving experience of seeing a retread tire explode.
An 18 wheeler about 1/8th mile ahead of me traveling at about 70 mph. Suddenly there was a loud explosion, a large puff of smoke, and tire shrapnel everywhere. It was an inside dual on the back of the trailer.
Pieces large and small were flying everywhere to the left side of the truck. Some made it to the right side, but mostly left.
Luckily, there were no vehicles around the truck when this happened. Some of the pieces were large enough to do signifacant damage to a car.
I thought to myself, self, I am sure glad I or some other motorcyclist was not
in the way of that. After seeing this first hand, I really belive this could result in a motorcyclist fatality, if they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I know that from now on, I will be more cautious when passing large trucks.
Get around them quickly, do not hang around the side. Leave more following distance when unable to get around quickly.
After seeing this, I wanted to tell you all about it. Hope it reminds us all to be carefull.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Several years ago I had a very unnerving experiance. I was in a line of trucks in the left hand lane on I-65. Trucks ahead and behind me. We were passing another 18 wheeler in the right hand lane. Just as I was along side the same explosion happened and I was in the middle of a lot of flying chunks of rubber. With another truck in front and one on my rear fender. I bailed to the median at about 75 mph. Certainly an attension getter. I try hard to avoid a situation like that anymore, and really get antsy if in a group that is slowly passing a truck.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I remember reading in the newspaper about a 15 passenger Van that was transporting children somewhere when the rear tire exploded and some of the shrapnel came up through the floor of the Van and killed one of the kids. Yes, that can definitely turn into an ugly situation, especially if you're on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We were in our truck (fortunately)when a semi was passing us and blew a tire. Huge piece of rubber flew up over the hood and onto the
windshield :22yikes: No injuries ...but all we could think of was "if we were on the bikes, we would have probably been decapitated"
Every time I pass a semi on the bike I think of that and roll on the throttle to get by them quickly !!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
i drive truck for a living and a few years ago i was traveling i 69 just passed a group of bikes turned my blinker on to move back in front of them and boom i blew a trailer tire, it looked like the bikers were running a road course but we all stopped and no body got hurt and no damage to any bikes. just some dirty shorts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I always get past trucks as quickly as practical. Years ago I was in my car on I-80 in Wyoming passing a truck when I heard the tell-tale flapping of rubber against the trailer when I was mid length of the rig. A couple of seconds later after I had cleared the truck, I witnessed a score of road gators being born through my rearview mirror at the back of the trailer.

I don't know how some drivers dare take a long time, even minutes, to pass another vehicle, especially big rigs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had this happen 2 times to me. First time was an 18 wheeler that threw a large alligator in front of me in the car. Second time was a bus and the tire exploded into pieces. One piece hit my faring but didn't leave a mark. Just remember to duck and cover and don't get to close.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How do you know it was a retread and not a new tire? I bet you don't know. Check out this website and it will clear up the issue on retreaded tires.

[PDF] Retreaded Tire Use and Safety: Synthesis

www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...8495.../RetreadTireSynthesis9309.pdf

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
That often happens to the inside tire in a dual pair when an undetected nail puncture or other cause of low air pressure causes the tire to overheat and fail. Happens to new casings as well as retreads.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If I come up on an 18 wheeler I speed up to get around him in a hurry. If the left lane is blocked for me to do this I hang back until it opens up so I can. If an 18 wheeler is going by me, I will let up so he can get by quickly! Remember them tires on an 18 wheeler are usually 105psi cold!

·
Registered
166 Posts
If I come up on an 18 wheeler I speed up to get around him in a hurry. If the left lane is blocked for me to do this I hang back until it opens up so I can. If an 18 wheeler is going by me, I will let up so he can get by quickly! Remember them tires on an 18 wheeler are usually 105psi cold!
And many are under inflated, and that's when the trouble starts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There are enough other dangers passing a big rig besides exploding tires. Like being in his blind spot. And yes a new tire can explode as well. I drove 18 wheelers and straights when I was young.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This can, and does happen way to often, I learned after 42 years of driving a truck for a living, that NEW tires will blow out as well as recaps...best thing to do is try to keep a safe distance from trucks....but this is not always easy to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This can, and does happen way to often, I learned after 42 years of driving a truck for a living, that NEW tires will blow out as well as recaps...best thing to do is try to keep a safe distance from trucks....but this is not always easy to do.
Hey Haste Maker,

Glad to see someone knows about tires in general. If they only knew how many commerical airlines run retreads they wouldn't fly.

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
Another reason to always wear a helmet

·
Registered
714 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not sure what your point is. We know tires come apart but not all are retreads. That was also a light truck tire not a medium truck tire.
A piece of rubber flying around is a piece of rubber it doesn't matter if it's from a retread or a new tire. Either way it can do some serious damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts