GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from Alaska. I found roads in , B.C., Yukon Territory and interior Alaska in very good condition. Construction only north of Whitehorse, north of Destruction Bay and south of Dawson City in Yukon Territory. Nothing I consider as a concern for any rider. I experienced minimal rain (approximately 600 miles out of a total of 10,000 miles). I traveled from Maine to Alaska going through the States and returning through Canada. Most challenging road was Top of World Highway from Chicken to Yukon border. I traversed it in rain and can concur road is "slick as snot"; a term used by workers in Chicken to describe condition. Go slow and no sudden moves and it can be done without to much difficulty. Purposely stayed in Alaskan interior so as to have another reason to return to explore coastal region. Beautiful country and nice people.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Returned from Alaska

Appreciate the comments on your return trip. I'm planning on making my way to Anchorage in July, 2012 for the Rally and look forward to the trip. Did you pull a trailer? Should I?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Returned from Alaska

I personally did not bring a trailer but I met dozens of riders hauling a trailer. Except for Top of the World Highway or the Dalton Highway (Haul Road) you should have no problem towing a trailer. The roads are really good and quite frankly, except for a few sections, you can travel as fast as you want.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Awsome pics!! Just drop the whole 955 pics onto this server please!! LOL

·
Registered
175 Posts
:thumbup:
I just got back home on 7/1 myself from Alaska...also experienced the "Snot mud" on my way to the Arctic Circle & coldfoot but like you, it was manageable -

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks for posting! I'm hoping for 2015, Lord willing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just returned from Alaska. I found roads in , B.C., Yukon Territory and interior Alaska in very good condition. Construction only north of Whitehorse, north of Destruction Bay and south of Dawson City in Yukon Territory. Nothing I consider as a concern for any rider. I experienced minimal rain (approximately 600 miles out of a total of 10,000 miles). I traveled from Maine to Alaska going through the States and returning through Canada. Most challenging road was Top of World Highway from Chicken to Yukon border. I traversed it in rain and can concur road is "slick as snot"; a term used by workers in Chicken to describe condition. Go slow and no sudden moves and it can be done without to much difficulty. Purposely stayed in Alaskan interior so as to have another reason to return to explore coastal region. Beautiful country and nice people.

What were the temps like....when in June did you start into Alaska. I'm going in 2012 and I was planning on First 2weeks of June to start but when I was in Montana/Yellowstone last two weeks of May it was colddddd. We had one day with 1/2" of snow on the roof. I was with my grandkids so in a cage but it was cold and I was thinking if I was on my way to Alaska on the Wing I'd would have froze my butt off. Can't tell I live in Texas and enjoy 90+ temps .... I've heard that June is the less wet of the summer months but I don't want to have to wear heated garments the entire trip either. Any comments, other than ... live with it old man.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
we went the first week in June 2007, had heated gear along but never used it, the coldest temp was 30 degrees about 5am one morning, rain we were lucky had very little, i think it was about 79 degrees when we were at the Artic Circle, over the years i have been on lots of great motorcycle trips but the Alaska was the best, hope to do it again someday :thumbup:
take lots of pictures !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What were the temps like....when in June did you start into Alaska. I'm going in 2012 and I was planning on First 2weeks of June to start but when I was in Montana/Yellowstone last two weeks of May it was colddddd. We had one day with 1/2" of snow on the roof. I was with my grandkids so in a cage but it was cold and I was thinking if I was on my way to Alaska on the Wing I'd would have froze my butt off. Can't tell I live in Texas and enjoy 90+ temps .... I've heard that June is the less wet of the summer months but I don't want to have to wear heated garments the entire trip either. Any comments, other than ... live with it old man.
I left Maine June 11 and returned July 4. I had great weather. The temperature in morning was in upper fifties most of time. Occasionally it dipped to lower fifties. In 10,000 miles I used electric vest 3 times. Only in morning or in rain. Rain only occurred 500 miles out of 10,000 miles. Most of time temperature rose to 70 up to 90 in interior Alaska, BC and Yukon Territory. Did not do coastal run because saving that for another trip. It's that good. Just do it. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts