GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it hurt to run it untill it kicks in ? Once in awhile ? Often ?

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
The "rev limiter" is designed to keep the engine operating in the safe zone. So, running it up to the "rev limiter" shouldn't hurt the engine. I wouldn't want to run mine up against the "rev limiter" on a continuous basis, but once in a while shouldn't hurt it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
IFLY said:
Does it hurt to run it untill it kicks in ? Once in awhile ? Often ?
Yes, it does. Hard acceleration is one of the things that wear an engine faster than almost anything else. Every time you do it, your taking miles off the engine's life. If you do it all the time, engine life reduces exponentially.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It has been shown for sure bumping the rev limiter reduces engine life - perhaps from 500,000 miles of a well cared for engine down to a 200,000 "run the dog sh_t out of it" engine care. I always try very hard NOT to bump the rev limiter before shifting.... but it's hard not to bump it sometimes off the line in 1st gear.

Oh well - I don't do it very often, just enough to keep the "grin factor" alive.

Ken H>

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Lots of misguided opinions here. Consider an extreme case - a top fuel dragster putting out between 6000 - 8000 HP. That engine only turns 450 revolutions in the 1/4 mile at full throttle. At the end of the run, the pistons don't look anything like they did at the start of the run - they pretty much melt.

Consider NASCAR race engines. Held at close to top RMP for 400 - 500 miles. They always rebuild the engines after a race - if they last the whole race.

Both cases, these engines are built to withstand so much more than a typical automotive engine, yet they are worn out after a few hours.

I have a bud who bought a brand new 4 cylinder Chevy. From the get-go, he would floor it all the time. That engine started blowing smoke by the second month.

Hard acceleration or running at top RPM are killers of engine life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts