GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to riding. During my short riding career, I hear the phrase rev matching or blipping the throttle, particularly while downshifting. I've found several very informative YouTube videos on the subject and I understand the concept. However, every YouTube video I come across are sport bike or crotch rocket riders. Do you cruising or Goldwing bike riders perform "blipping the throttle" while downshifting? If so, describe your method. Or is this just a sport bike thing?

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Yeah, I do it. I pull the clutch and give it a little "blip" as you say, to allow the down shift to follow the rpms down as I release the clutch, rather than just dumping it into a lower gear and throwing me forward on the bike. Slamming the bike into a lower gear isn't good for the bike and tends to make you take a beating as well. Pretty much the way I've done it since I was a kid, so it's habit. I've seen others just pull the clutch, down shift, and ease the clutch out. I guess it depends on how you were raised.

Reactions: apes115 and Tex-Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I do it. I pull the clutch and give it a little "blip" as you say, to allow the down shift to follow the rpms down as I release the clutch, rather than just dumping it into a lower gear and throwing me forward on the bike. Slamming the bike into a lower gear isn't good for the bike and tends to make you take a beating as well. Pretty much the way I've done it since I was a kid, so it's habit. I've seen others just pull the clutch, down shift, and ease the clutch out. I guess it depends on how you were raised.
Do you pull the clutch, blip, and step on the gear shift lever simultaneously? Or, do you step on the gear shift lever before or after the blip?

·
IronMan
17,634 Posts
Do you pull the clutch, blip, and step on the gear shift lever simultaneously? Or, do you step on the gear shift lever before or after the blip?
I DO KINDA BOTH . NEVER PAID ATTENTION :surprise::grin2: DONT REALLY MATTER LONG AS CLUTCH IN . WET CLUTCH ON BIKE SO ONCE YA LEARN TO MATCH MOTOR WITH SPEED ALMOST NO WEAR ON CLUTCH. AND IT SAVES YOUR BRAKES AND SAFETY WISE YOUR IN POWER RANGE OF MOTOR IF YA NEED IT

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
It never made any sense to me. Why waste fuel by blipping the throttle? If a rider is being thrown forward when downshifting, he is probably downshifting too early in relation to bike's forward speed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It never made any sense to me. Why waste fuel by blipping the throttle? If a rider is being thrown forward when downshifting, he is probably downshifting too early in relation to bike's forward speed.
Could not agree with you more, Never had wife complain about being thrown forward yet:wink2:
Done this way all my life

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I almost always use engine braking so yes I definitely do rpm matching with my downshifts.

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes, I rev match. Clutch in, blip throttle while shifting down, release clutch.
Makes for smooth dowmshifts, the bike is always in gear and ready for immediate throttle application if needed.

I know some keep the clutch in, throttle at idle, and downshift as the bike slows down so they are always in the right gear.
I just prefer to have the engine and trans engaged, I really don't like coasting in neutral. I
Neither is "right" or "wrong" on a wing.

With sportbikes, the powerband is at much higher RPMs. If you're coasting and suddenly need power, you have to get the engine from idle to 5-7000 RPM while also declutching. It is very easy to get a "bucking" action going at the very moment you need smooth control and power. So keeping it in gear with the RPM in the useful range is much more understandable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is something that I do. I like to keep the bike in the power band just in case I may need a quick response as I am slowing. It may also just be a force of habit from my younger racing days.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In my life time of riding or driving manual transmission vehicles I never once thought that rev matching downshifts wasn't something to not practice, be it car or motorcycle. You don't have to do it in every situation but we should know how to do it in every situation when called upon. It's for your own safety to be able to shift gears in all the situations encountered out there. The fundamentals are clutch in, blip throttle and press shift lever simultaneously, clutch out. Like any skill, here are many variables to practice beyond the fundamentals.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Exactly. Of course. Absolutely no need whatsoever to EVER "blip the throttle." One may like the sound. But, absolutely no NEED ever to do it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Rev matching when downshifting

I almost always do rev matching down to second gear. Sometimes I do it down to first gear, but that takes a little more caution. Sometimes I am going slow enough when I downshift into first, I don't bother rev matching. I also do it in cars with manual transmissions. I like to keep the motor in its power band as I slow down. I know it is not strictly necessary, but I find it kinda fun.

·
IronMan
17,634 Posts
blipping stresses the adg in my opinion. Not going there.
the clutch is in no pressure on adg ! And your blipping throttle not redline it you should be like 3500 to 4 tops . To each there own

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
The ADG is directly connected to the crankshaft, clutch in or out makes no difference. I don’t rev match. Whether blipping the throttle stresses the ADG or not, we have no way of knowing, but the ADG does accelerate and decelerate along with the engine speed.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The ADG is directly connected to the crankshaft, clutch in or out makes no difference. I don’t rev match. Whether blipping the throttle stresses the ADG or not, we have no way of knowing, but the ADG does accelerate and decelerate along with the engine speed.
From what I've seen, ADG damper springs wearing out the casing they are enclosed in leads to its failure. Thus, a relatively constant load vs blipping minimizes wear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts