GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please (please!) don't wander off-topic. I'd like this thread to focus on discussing Rever/RLink pros and cons by anyone who is actually using it, without it becoming a discussion about why "xyz" software/hardware is better.

(Correction) The Rever Trip Planner is free with some features, $4/mo for all features if you subscribe for a year. The subscription version offers more map types, weather radar plots, and more flexibility/features. Rever also offers RLink, a GPS/Security device that provides additional features (security, auto-ride tracking, additional metrics) etc.

I downloaded the free app to my iPhone 8+, and bookmarked their website on my PC. Very limited testing on my part indicates that the trip planning app/website seems to be able to ID addresses more easily that the GW GPS, especially tricky ones with compass directions and route numbers. I imported a GPX file that I'd previously saved (104 miles) and it appeared to flawlessly plot the route and all 24 waypoints. Much more testing needs to be done.

When I entered my 2018 GWT6 info into my Rever profile, it automatically connected me to the Honda Community (there are other communities from which to choose) that displayed many rides saved by others...but there didn't appear to be any way to easily search the rides by location, distance, etc.

Your constructive positive comments and criticisms will help not only me, but also others who might be considering this navigation option.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hmmm... not a lot of responses. Apparently, Rever/RLink are not widely used by the forum members (?). I have two friends that ride Harely's (one a Road Glide, the other a Street Glide) and both use Rever (one a paid subscription, the other is a cheap SOB (sort of like me)). They both seem to like the product with the paid version obviously offering additional capability. But, as for me, I haven't downloaded or tried the free version of Rever though I did once think about it. This is about as constructive and positive as I can get on something I only know about peripherally. My one buddy, the one that rides the Road Glide, is very much taken with the product. The other buddy likes to track his rides. I mean after all, he rides a Harley and when he makes it more than 100 miles, he likes to post (boast) about the accomplishment. But, of course, I tease. Ride safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been using Rever for a year and I LOVE it. I originally used Mapsource and it worked very well for me but when Garmin migrated to Basecamp, they lost me. I never could get used to the way it worked and got very frustrated trying to learn. When I got the '18 I started using Trip Planner but didn't like the way it worked, either, although it was better than Basecamp. Rever is very easy to use and worked well for me right out of the box. I never use my GPS to plot routes for me, I do all of my routing ahead of time on the computer then input it and let the GPS tell me where I wanted to go.Rever works well for me in that respect. I decided when I first tried it that it seemed to work well for me and signed up for the yearly upgrade plan. I just paid my second annual fee, which was $45.08 and I believe it to be money well spent.I don't mind paying for something that I feel is beneficial and this is! Now, in order for the routing to work properly with the Honda GPS, I always run the GPX file through GPSBabel first but I have NEVER had a problem with any of the routes I have plotted (and it is probably 15 to 25 in the last year). I also have several friends that pay for Rever and we can share routes electronically.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I bought the yearly plan but I just haven’t had much time to get to know it. Does it work in conjunction with the OEM Nav or is it a stand alone app? It doesn’t appear in Apple Car Play (when I can get it to work) so I’m not sure how you guys are using it when you ride. I have tracked a few rides but it’s a PIA to have to pause and start it each time you stop and start. I guess I’ll have to spend more time trying to understand just what I bought :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've been using Rever for a year and I LOVE it. I originally used Mapsource and it worked very well for me but when Garmin migrated to Basecamp, they lost me. I never could get used to the way it worked and got very frustrated trying to learn. When I got the '18 I started using Trip Planner but didn't like the way it worked, either, although it was better than Basecamp. Rever is very easy to use and worked well for me right out of the box. I never use my GPS to plot routes for me, I do all of my routing ahead of time on the computer then input it and let the GPS tell me where I wanted to go.Rever works well for me in that respect. I decided when I first tried it that it seemed to work well for me and signed up for the yearly upgrade plan. I just paid my second annual fee, which was $45.08 and I believe it to be money well spent.I don't mind paying for something that I feel is beneficial and this is! Now, in order for the routing to work properly with the Honda GPS, I always run the GPX file through GPSBabel first but I have NEVER had a problem with any of the routes I have plotted (and it is probably 15 to 25 in the last year). I also have several friends that pay for Rever and we can share routes electronically.
have you tried installing the gpx file straight into the bike, instead of "fixing" it wit Babel?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please (please!) don't wander off-topic. I'd like this thread to focus on discussing Rever/RLink pros and cons by anyone who is actually using it, without it becoming a discussion about why "xyz" software/hardware is better.

(Correction) The Rever Trip Planner is free with some features, $4/mo for all features if you subscribe for a year. The subscription version offers more map types, weather radar plots, and more flexibility/features. Rever also offers RLink, a GPS/Security device that provides additional features (security, auto-ride tracking, additional metrics) etc.

I downloaded the free app to my iPhone 8+, and bookmarked their website on my PC. Very limited testing on my part indicates that the trip planning app/website seems to be able to ID addresses more easily that the GW GPS, especially tricky ones with compass directions and route numbers. I imported a GPX file that I'd previously saved (104 miles) and it appeared to flawlessly plot the route and all 24 waypoints. Much more testing needs to be done.

When I entered my 2018 GWT6 info into my Rever profile, it automatically connected me to the Honda Community (there are other communities from which to choose) that displayed many rides saved by others...but there didn't appear to be any way to easily search the rides by location, distance, etc.

Your constructive positive comments and criticisms will help not only me, but also others who might be considering this navigation option.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

I just discovered that to use rever on the 2018 Goldwing you MUST upgrade to the Pro version and pay the monthly fee in order to export the gpx file. That to me is ridiculous. I will only plan one or two trips a year and so cannot plan a trip unless I pay them additional money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I heard that Rever was the trip planning software that was replacing the HTP, I was very excited. Went to the Web page, bookmarked it. Downloaded the app to my phone, created an account, started playing around with it and reading up on it and got to the point where I have to pay to export my trip.

FULL STOP!

I was interested in testing it since I am fairly new to trip planning and still trying to find what my favorite is, but, yeah... that upgrade cost to export a file will kill it for me also.

I tried Basecamp but it seems to be beyond my limited skills or patience even after watching Cruiseman's tutorials on it.

A buddy of mine said to try the Furkot software. So I downloaded the program and was able to plan and execute two 2500 mile trips across 10 states with a minimum of difficulty... and for free.
They have a paid subscription that you can get other goodies unlocked for you but you can still export files for FREE. Did I mention that you can export files for FREE?

I read somewhere on one of these forums that Furkot went to OSM files(?) recently and he preferred HERE files(?). I didn't have a clue what this was so I googled it and found that the OSM format is preferred by the great unwashed out here in the Interwebs. That's too esoteric for me so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other as long as the darn thing works!! I am sure that everyone has their favorite, but,... as of this post, Furkot is my go to trip planning software.

I am sure the Rever program is/will be a great trip planning program and I am sure there are fans out there for it. But since I have a choice, as of now, I will not be testing it because of the export/upgrade limitation.

If that changes, then I will take a look. I am always open to options for other trip planning software and really don't mind paying a subscription if it is really worth it. Just not now.

My $0.02 worth.

Safe Travels my Brothers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts