GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my reverse a lot to park my bike. We actually have a small water curb in front of our garage that I have to come over to back the bike into the garage. I sometimes will turn it around in the garage but that requires more maneuvers. On my 04 I was cautious about using reverse because of the starter. I know the 18DCT actually uses a clutch to drive the reverse but I'm not sure how much it will take. Thoughts???

·
Registered
124 Posts
I babied my ‘18 non tour dct for a few months but have decided to use it exclusively when I park. I have a ride on/ride off centerstand and mounting couldn’t be any easier, even two up. I use my parking brake a ton also when I dismount.
Others can/will comment on the walking feature of the dct but for me that made the decision to buy a dct that much easier.

HTH

Joebillybob

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I use my walk/reverse everyday with a trailer attached...I hope it does not become a problem but I do have 6 more years of warranty.....

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
506 Posts
I park my bike on a table lift with a pit stop wheel chock. So far no issues as it would be a PITA to back it off without it.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Tell me what a water curb is. I have never heard the term

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
If the clutch temperature indicator comes on, you'll know you overdid it.

I bet you never see it...

"The clutch temperature indicator flashes if the clutch temperature becomes unusually high.
If the indicator flashes, pull safely to the side of the road and shift the transmission to neutral, then idle the engine.
When the indicator goes off, riding can be restarted.
If this occurs frequently, contact your dealer."

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am not sure, since I haven't tested my bike on any big bumps or inclines. I should put that on my list of things to do.

I do use mine at least once or twice a week.
I park my bike in front of my office window at work on a sidewalk and have to make a 3-point U-turn on the sidewalk.
The reverse and walking mode make it easy to maneuver the bike back and forth to get the bike turned around.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I never use either reverse of forward walkers because I can't remember how to activate them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The first time I ever used the reverse on a Goldwing was in Tombstone, Arizona. Some of the parking lots are dirt and gravel and I was attempting to back into a spot and slipped on the dirt (I did not fall, but it hurt, lots.) I thought, "Gee, this is stupid, I have reverse." I then used reverse and have never stopped using walking mode to park.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I never use either reverse of forward walkers because I can't remember how to activate them.
Page 115 of the owners manual.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
You're kidding, right?
Not kidding. I know I have to press a switch on the handlebar somewhere, then I think I have to press something else.

Things they don't tell you about when you're young (because either you wouldn't believe them, or you'd take even more risks): Since hitting 70, my metabolism is hovering just above suspended animation, and my retention is slightly above sieve.

My doctor suggested a memory-enhancing supplement, but I forget to take it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny I was out riding in the mountains and we stopped at a little cafe. The only parking was on the shoulders of the road which were gravel and had a little dip right off the road. Now I certainly didn't buy the bike for the crawl modes but reversing over the dip and into the gravel to park was sure a breeze!!! I then got off and went and helped push the Harleys through the dip and into the gravel.....lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I use reverse on my DCT at speed bumps to back out of, it always works, just may take a little extra time for it to see if you will, that has come upon something that takes more push, and then it does do it , just got to be patient and aware it will go on and be ready when it does so you don't get caught off guard . Remember when you 1st came to a stop while getting used to the DCT , you might have thought ok, this isn't like I'd do it ,but given time you got used to and expected how it works so no more surprise . Just a learning curve for you. Me, I would never go back to old system, is nice to now not be so concerned about shifting, overall . I do on occasion, use the paddle to downshift when passing, but all things given, still like this new system best after 40 years of riding motorcycles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts