GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I try to use my reverse it does not engage and it sounds as though the teeth are hitting at the tips of the gear. I was told by someone that there is an adjuster cable for the reverse when it is engaged. Can any body shed any light on this?

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
The cables can be adjusted. Remove the R engine cover and you will see the cables heading towards the rear. The Service Manual has instructions on adjusting them. The area there usually requires cleaning and re-lubing.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Where the cable ends you can see some linkage and a spring. Give it a shot of some light oil and see if that works before adjusting the cable. Usually that will do it.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
i really don't think your reverse cable needs adjusting

i had what sounds like the same problem, adjusted the cables and lubed it, everything worked fine, a few months later the exact same intermitent problem was back, this time i just lubed it with some better lube called Tri Flow and that fixed it
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri-Flow_Superior_Aerosol_Lubricant.html

if u take off the right side engine cover where u check the oil u can watch the reverse mechanism work, spray the area with the spring, everytime i change oil i lube the reverse mechanism with Tri Flow and the problem has never come back :thumbup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen. I have now got down and cleaned the cable ends and lubed and re-adjusted the cables. The reverse side cable was loose. With a little bit of trial and error I have now got it adjusted correctly and it works very smooth now. I did notice that when I first looked at the end where the actuater is at, it did not seem to be moving much and I also noticed that the cable was sloppy when moving. Lubed and then adjusted the slack out of the cable. Works perfect, just like brand new. I will remember to keep it clean and lube in the future. Thanks again everybody for the help.:excited:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts