GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Wing and the reverse button has become useless due to sticking....anyone else having this problem and how did you get it fixed? I pull a trailer and not having reverse is not an option...

·
Registered
25 Posts
reverse button sticking

I had same problem. Sprayed it with WD40. Had to use quick flicks on the edge of the button and it finaly freed up. Seems to be OK now.
Held rags under switch to catch overspray. I don't know if will be a problem in cold weather, if it will gum up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sticky reverse button

Same problem, recently. It happens with the cruise control button. Last winter I took it completely apart and cleaned/sprayed it. Worked fine in the garage . . . but as soon as it got out in the 45* temps, it quit working again (stuck 'on'). When it got above 75*, in the Spring, it began to work just fine again and never had a problem until lately. I'm calling it a seasonal problem.

The reverse button is more of a serious problem. I backed it out of the shed and couldn't get it to go to neutral. Turned off the bike and turned the key back on to release it. I don't like it. Prolly gonna ride my other bike this winter so I don't have to deal with the pain in the butt.

High tech micro switches, my foot!!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
sticky switches

Evidently this is a common problem according to the number of previous posts about it. It may happen due to exposure to the elements, (water, sand, grit) who knows. I think that as recommended before electical contact cleaner would be a better alternative to silicone sprays, they leave no oily residue. 8) Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with the reverse and emergency flash switches – WD40 solved the problem for both – I now spray all push button switches once a month

·
Registered
222 Posts
Over the weekend, I manage to open the switch housing (remove the 2 screws and open the 2 halves), but can't get to the reverse switch like Fred had done.
Is there a trick to completely separate the lower switch housing from the top one. Currently there are screws holding wires that connect top and bottom parts, and these screws are in odd position that it is almost impposible to get the screwdriver on them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sticking buttons

I talked to a Honda service manager about this problem last weekend. He stated that the problem is not the button but the actuator.

He suggests just replacing the actuator and problem solved. He says just spraying WD40 does nothing just makes a mess. The problem is on the other end of housing.

George

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I took everyone's advice and used wd-40...let it sit overnight and now it engages and disengages 1st time...every time...thanks for the great tip and inexpensive repair...when I spoke to my mechanic he indicated that the part was @ $175 plus one & a half hours labor...a $300 fix for the cost of a can of wd-40...which I already had on-hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts